[Mk2] [Turbo] eml on at high boost/revs (any one no were to get a good code reader)

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SamBurton

[Mk2] [Turbo] eml on at high boost/revs (any one no were to get a good code reader)

Post by SamBurton »

Hey guys i keep getting the eml flashing when i am hitting high boost/revs. No affect on the car when it happens. :?

Right a bit about the car may help, it is a rev 2 tubby with a apexi power fc and a greddy boost controller. I have tried to use a snap-on code reader but it wont read my mr2 (it only has uk models). Any ideas? or a good code reader? i have seen the cheep ones that will do, i was just after something a bit better.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] eml on at high boost/revs (any one no were to get a good code reader)

Post by Martin F »

If you are using a power fc then you don't get access to the codes like a standard ecu, however the engine light usually flashes as it has hit the preset knock limit set by whoever mapped the car...
RobCrezz

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] eml on at high boost/revs (any one no were to get a good code reader)

Post by RobCrezz »

If thats happening on boost then you are getting Knock.

Are you using 99RON super unleaded?
SamBurton

Post by SamBurton »

yea i am using 99ron. i am down at a rolling road in a few weeks so will have a look then. realy need to get my hands on a FC-Datalogit
greeny

Post by greeny »

SamBurton wrote:yea i am using 99ron. i am down at a rolling road in a few weeks so will have a look then. realy need to get my hands on a FC-Datalogit

I think you can check on the commander to see what knock levels you are getting! :thumleft:

If you havent a commander, i would advise not to be thrashing the car untill you get it checked over by someone competent :thumleft:
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
SamBurton

Post by SamBurton »

lol no i dont have a commander i will get the fc datalogit. that will tell me whats going on and then i can chenge some settings as well.
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

SamBurton wrote:yea i am using 99ron. i am down at a rolling road in a few weeks so will have a look then. realy need to get my hands on a FC-Datalogit

In the mean time, turn the boost down a couple of psi, dont wanna nuke your engine.
SamBurton

Post by SamBurton »

yea will do its a ebc so i will just run on low boost at the mo
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

SamBurton wrote:lol no i dont have a commander i will get the fc datalogit. that will tell me whats going on and then i can chenge some settings as well.

Unless you know everything there is to know about mapping an
mr2 with a powerfc, I wouldnt be changing random settings yourself.
Askin for trouble.

If it's flashing at high boost and revs, its knock.
Reduce the boost, book some time in with a decent
mapper like Ryan at 2bar tuning and get mapped by a
pro.
I wouldn't be messing with maps youself unless you can afford to fix a broken engine!

Btw I have a Commander for sale if you did want one, lol, £200.
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

jimGTS wrote:
SamBurton wrote:lol no i dont have a commander i will get the fc datalogit. that will tell me whats going on and then i can chenge some settings as well.

Unless you know everything there is to know about mapping an
mr2 with a powerfc, I wouldnt be changing random settings yourself.
Askin for trouble.

If it's flashing at high boost and revs, its knock.
Reduce the boost, book some time in with a decent
mapper like Ryan at 2bar tuning and get mapped by a
pro.
I wouldn't be messing with maps youself unless you can afford to fix a broken engine!

Btw I have a Commander for sale if you did want one, lol, £200.

Nice plug for the commander sale, Jim :lol:
SamBurton

Post by SamBurton »

lol i like it, i would but the fc datalogit is better. And i am already bilding a new engine lol. I will be getting some one to do the mapping but hope to start learning from them about it :D
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

SamBurton wrote:lol i like it, i would but the fc datalogit is better. And i am already bilding a new engine lol. I will be getting some one to do the mapping but hope to start learning from them about it :D

Better, but the Commander can show the readings when you dont have a laptop in your car.
SamBurton

Post by SamBurton »

yea i no, hell just keep the lap top in the car
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

SamBurton wrote:yea i no, hell just keep the lap top in the car

Hope you havent got a T-bar :lol:

Return to “Mechanical”