What tyres for fast road use (18inc wheels)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

2barGee

What tyres for fast road use (18inc wheels)

Post by 2barGee »

As above really.

I need some new rear tyres and I cannot decide what tyres to get!! I'm running 350bhp so they need 2 b half decent but I don't want 2 spend loads as I have another set of alloys with r888's (which I might be selling).

What do you lot rekon will b a decent tyre?? They are 255/35/18.

Cheers dan
bill

Re: What tyres for fast road use (18inc wheels)

Post by bill »

i'm in the same boat as you mate, i've been searching quite a bit on here and i'm debating getting falken fk452's £108 a tyre, and seem to get good write ups on here, or goodyear eagle f1's, but they dont seem to be as well rated, i'm going for 245/35/18's on an 8j rim, can i just ask what size rims your running? i'd like 255's but not sure if they would fit on an 8j rim?

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyres_For/ ... -Turbo.htm

http://www.falkentyres.co.uk/prodtype.a ... hCriteria=
ancient mariner

Post by ancient mariner »

over the years,i have tried most tyres incl toyo's,pirelli's,avons,falkens etc
to be honest out of the lot,i can't fault the falken's,but my personal preference would be the goodyear eagle f1's.paul.
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

I like the Falken 452s, but heard good things of the Hankook RS2, which is between a fast road tyre and a track day tyre.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

i have 18's and use Pirellis p zeros, mainly because they are a rain tyre, and i live in Scotland, they are outstanding in the wet :thumleft:

and obviously the dry too :thumleft:
gtech

Post by gtech »

I have Falken FK-452's (255 on the rear) and they stick like glue, I have deliberately tried to get it to react on a quiet roundabout at work, and it just grips in and holds it.

I've previously had Goodyear GSD3's and Toyo's but rate the 452's a lot better.

My personal opinion.......and a damm good price from Camskill
Berk Tech IC, Berk Tech Downpipe, Berk Tech Exhaust, ARC Induction System, DevilsOwn Water/Meth Injection (Pre & Post turbo). TRD Cold Pipe, EMS Powered Digital Boost Gauge, TRD Strut Braces, Innovate O2, Blitz SBC i-color EBC - "ARCH ROLLER FOR HIRE"
Craigo

Post by Craigo »

ive always had 452's so nothing to compare it to but i cant imagine anything else being any worse in the wet to be honest.

doesnt concern me as i only drive fast in good conditions.
megatart

Post by megatart »

The uniroyal rainsport 2's are bob on. I wish i did my track day with my rainsport 2's over my hankook RS2's. Grip great in the wet, and better in the dry.
bill

Post by bill »

i wish they did the rainsports/hankooks etc in 245/35/18's :(
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

Toyo`s on 18`s for me mate. :thumleft:
Chris

Post by Chris »

Federals S595s are the ones you want :D I used to use Marangoni Mythos. Pretty good, but don't last very long at all :thumleft:
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Chris wrote:Federals S595s are the ones you want :D I used to use Marangoni Mythos. Pretty good, but don't last very long at all :thumleft:

You must have been doing too many donuts Chris :)

Dan, we are one of the main uk marangoni tyre stockists- www.centurymotorsport.com all prices and sizes are on there - as your an imoc member you will get a 5 percent discount as well.

I've used them on pretty much all my road cars, I have also been out in italy testing them and I can asure you they are amongst the best out there :D
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

i run goodyear eagle f1s 255/35/18 9j, they are good but if i could of afforded them it would of been bridgestones all the way i had bridgestone s02s on my standard 15" they were awsome :thumleft: just didnt last very long
Chris

Post by Chris »

Century Motorsport wrote:
Chris wrote:Federals S595s are the ones you want :D I used to use Marangoni Mythos. Pretty good, but don't last very long at all :thumleft:

No tyres last long on the rear of my car #-o A few runs up strip, a few spirited drives, a few random full boost blasts.....Fooked tyres :thumleft:

The Marangoni's were very impressive. I really like the Zeta Linears too. Shame they are not available in 255/35/18 :roll:
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Chris wrote:
Century Motorsport wrote:

The Marangoni's were very impressive. I really like the Zeta Linears too. Shame they are not available in 255/35/18 :roll:

The mythos and zeta linea are both the same tyre, just a different tread patern. The only reason for the change was due to the main demand for these tyres are on big cars like bmw + mercedes that thrash up and down the auto bahn day in day out and the zeta linea was quite a noisey tyre at high speed (due to tread pattern) so the mythos patter was born to eliminate that problem.

In the dry you would be pushed to tell any difference between the 2 - its only in the wet where the zeta linea has a slight advantage.

Due to the sexy pattern of the zeta linea marangoni have kept them on in sizes up to 17's where they atract to the track day people and modifiers - its a shame they don't offer them throughout the range as for sure the aesthetics of the tyre play a part when people look for a new set to buy!

That said, watch this space for a new range of marangoni's to rival the toyo r888's, you can be sure the tread pattern (or lack of!) Will be damn sexy :D
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”