[Mk2] [Turbo] ST205 Chargecooler Installation Guide (non 56k friendly)

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

irietuning

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] ST205 Chargecooler Installation Guide (non 56k friendly)

Post by irietuning »

toxo wrote:If you're pumping the wrong way then you will get an eye full of coolant when you run the pump without the cap on top of the core!

Small kinks (45 degrees say) won't be too much of a problem as long as your pipe is strong enough not to warp when hot.

allan welsh wrote:kinks restrict flow and provide back pressure to the pump. best to get them sorted

Thanks guys

They are small kinks with where the pipes run quite close to each other. The parts that have the kinks are the silicone recudes that come off the water in/out pipes on the core. I will try to get them as stright as possible

Im hoping bleeding wont be too much of a pain, Im using a motorbike (scooter) rad in the standard intercooler position. Any advice for bleeding it.
ELS

Re: which way round

Post by ELS »

ELS wrote:Hey simpson_eh, could you kindly post a couple of pics showing how you mounted your ST205 pump please....

Im sure a lot of people will find this very helpful :thumleft:

simpson_eh wrote:yup il take a few on monday as im taking it in for topmounts

No pics yet buddy........ :-s

Can anyone else comment on how they mounted there ST205 pump???

Yet again pics would be very helpful! :thumleft:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Bottom of the gearbox :thumleft:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

That's where mine is, although it's loose at the moment, I think one of the rubber bushes is bu88ered.

Also my wiring caught fire the other day :( Schoolboy error there I think!
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

toxo wrote:That's where mine is, although it's loose at the moment, I think one of the rubber bushes is bu88ered.

Also my wiring caught fire the other day :( Schoolboy error there I think!

How? Did you leave a live wire exposed?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

No of course not! I've honestly no idea how it happened, the wiring was all well insulated and grommeted through the bulkhead. It was the wire that operated the relay too, so wouldn't ever have had any load on it of any consequence. Need to take it to bits and find out what happened.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
ELS

Post by ELS »

Thanx very much Steve-O 2007, your pics very helpful :thumleft:

Two quick questions, is that bracket a stand gt4 part which bolts the pump to the gearbox?
+
Its clear you've earthed the pump with an ilet terminal on the gearbox, have you just run the live wire off the 12v ignition with a fuse inline? I hear this is the most common way. Wondering what rated fuse to use??? :-k
irietuning

Post by irietuning »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:

Bottom of the gearbox :thumleft:

I had mine mounted this way round first, but with some advice and a hand from the guys at mrtwos, I changed it.

What I did was rotate the pump bracket around. You then need to swap the orientation of the pump around obviously as it will be upside down. It still fits nicely. I had to cut the pipework a little, bit this allowed a better connection for them also. It also allowed me to get rid of the 22>19mm reducers that I had on the pump (less chance of leaks). I was suprised at how easily they made the pipework slide on..(Helps when you know what you are doing)
Irietuning whenever possible
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

ELS wrote:Thanx very much Steve-O 2007, your pics very helpful :thumleft:

Two quick questions, is that bracket a stand gt4 part which bolts the pump to the gearbox?
+
Its clear you've earthed the pump with an ilet terminal on the gearbox, have you just run the live wire off the 12v ignition with a fuse inline? I hear this is the most common way. Wondering what rated fuse to use??? :-k

Yes, standard GT4 mounting bracket.

Steve-O and I have discussed this quite a lot, we reckon the pump draws about 3.5A. In the Celica it's fused at 30A but that's because it gets its power from the CDS fuse which runs all manner of other stuff too.

You should plumb it in through a relay - ignition live circuits are never designed to draw much power, but to be used as a switch to turn things on instead. Easiest way to do this is in the boot:

Battery +ve is available from the engine bay fusebox (big white cables that are bolted down with 2x10mm bolts) and ignition +ve to switch the relay is available at the ECU, I think pin 1 of the right-hand most connector which is black with a yellow stripe. That way your relay is fused by the EFI fuse - you should install your own fuse on the battery +ve line.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Here's a little more inspiration for you guys!

toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Really need to get around to getting my engine bay colour coordinated by you guys!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

toxo wrote:
>PETE< wrote:
toxo wrote:

I've not run on it for very long, because I've not got the CC core installed yet so the ECU just went into safe mode straight away as it couldn't detect coolant level. However from my notes & wiring diagrams I don't think the power steering is connected to the ECU at all, so what you've said doesn't make sense.

The power steering does connect to the ECU. It has two pinouts (PSCT + PS from the Gen II) When I connect my Gen III MR2 ECU to the car my power steering starts working, whereas when I connect the ST205 ECU to power steering stops. Remember that the power steering on the ST205 ran via the engine rather then an electric pump.

Ah well, that can't be that hard to fix ;) Also I've got a rev3 so there should be fewer differences between the ECUs (if there are any other than MAP vs AFM rev2 -> rev3 anyway).

>PETE< wrote:
toxo wrote:

What makes you think that?

The Jap St205 was advertised to put out 255Hp Compared with a Jap Gen III Mr2 being only 245hp. The only real difference between the two was the intercooler, so I can only guess they advanced the timing slightly between the ECU's.

Hm interesting. I can't remember whether my ECU is from a UKDM ST205 or a JDM ST205, I did look when I got it but that was months ago...

I have done some more research into this. The communication between the EFI ECU and the P/S ECU is different on rev1-2 and rev3. Rev1/2 has PS and PSCT which rev3 doesn't have. It's something to do with the idle speed control so that the power steering can raise the revs when it's under load on the Rev1/2 whereas the Rev3 can work it all out without the 2 ECU's talking to each other (maybe due to AFM/MAP differences?)

Rev3 just has PSCT which when grounded turns the P/S off. So all I have to do is break the PSCT connection to the ECU and it should continue working as normal. So, I need to pull my finger out and switch ECU I think :) G-tech has provided me with some new ECU pins so I can repin my loom to accept the chargecooler once I rebuild the loom.
nicholasmitchellmr2

Post by nicholasmitchellmr2 »

hi guys, iv installed a 205 cc system on my rev2. its almost finished so i will post some pics on here soon. my pump is mounted where the charcoal canister used to be fits perfectly using the brackets from the char coal canister. i used a st185 throttle sock so my core bolts up nice to the throttle body.
love the pictures of the pacific works mr2 wish mine was so nice!!!!
jspec mkii mr2

Post by jspec mkii mr2 »

Toxo... could you tell me exactly which Toyota dealer you got that st205 hardware from? I'm from the USA and not sure the dealers over here have access to such parts.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I bought the cooler core and pump from a crashed WRC ST205 a friend picked up from eBay. I bought the ECU from a user on here. All other Toyota parts I bought from my local Toyota dealership which is Steven Eagell in Milton Keynes.
jspec mkii mr2

Post by jspec mkii mr2 »

toxo wrote:I bought the cooler core and pump from a crashed WRC ST205 a friend picked up from eBay. I bought the ECU from a user on here. All other Toyota parts I bought from my local Toyota dealership which is Steven Eagell in Milton Keynes.

Thank you... I'm doing a ST205 charge cooler install in my rev3 mr2 and appreciate your attention to factory detail.

I've emailed Steven Eagell in Milton asking if they can still get the parts you've listed. Hopefully they can and are willing to ship to the USA, and don't ignore my email message like most companies do. :o)

Chris
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Let me know if you don't hear anything and I'll PM you their parts manager's email address. BTW, Texas Toyota in Dallas are quite good at getting parts in.
jspec mkii mr2

Post by jspec mkii mr2 »

toxo wrote:Let me know if you don't hear anything and I'll PM you their parts manager's email address. BTW, Texas Toyota in Dallas are quite good at getting parts in.

Thanks, I appreciate your help. I'll let you know. Can Texas Toyota get parts like these, i.e. parts typically unavailable to the USDM market? I've heard there was a place in Texas that could get JDM-only parts but can't recall if that is the place or not.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

In theory any Toyota dealer can. They're just mostly lazy. I know Texas Toyota sell TRD parts on eBay a lot so that suggests they have decent supplies from Japan.

We have the same problems over here getting JDM parts mostly. I'm just very lucky I guess.
jspec mkii mr2

Post by jspec mkii mr2 »

toxo wrote:In theory any Toyota dealer can. They're just mostly lazy. I know Texas Toyota sell TRD parts on eBay a lot so that suggests they have decent supplies from Japan.

We have the same problems over here getting JDM parts mostly. I'm just very lucky I guess.

Cool, I emailed Aaron @ Lithia Toyota of Springfield to see if he can get the hardware for me.

Just curious to know why you didn't use the Celica GT4 coolant neck so you could have kept both the drivers side charge cooler brackets?

Return to “Modifications”