[Mk2] [Turbo] Procedure for Replacing the Thermostat

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mike

[Mk2] [Turbo] Procedure for Replacing the Thermostat

Post by Mike »

Hi,

Fitting a new leak free radiator hasn't sorted my overheating problem, thankfully a sniff test came back without any sign of hydro carbons in the coolant so its unlikely to be head gasket issues. My next port of call is the thermostat, it looks like its easy to get to but I realise that thats not always the case. What is the removal procedure?

Thanks in advance

Mike
bobhatton

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Procedure for Replacing the Thermostat

Post by bobhatton »

Remove the hose, undo the two nuts and take off the housing. Replace the used thermostat with a new Toyota one only NOT a cheap one. The little ball goes to the top. Replace housing and hose and refill with water. Run engine and top up with water till full.

Bob
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
TheRoadWarrior

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

If you read the BGB it'll tell you to remove the AC compressor but this isnt necessary, removing the engine hanger hook helps and you'll need to take off the intake air pipes and unbolt the dipstick and swing it out of the way.

You'll loose about 2-3 litres of coolant when you take the thermostat out, make sure you've got enough to refill- also make sure you get a new gasket when you buy your thermostat. I put a plastic bag over the ac compressor to keep the coolant off of it and direct it into a pan under the car.

I bought a genuine toyota thermostat last time, and it still only lasted a year, just unlucky i guess!
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

bobhatton wrote:Replace the used thermostat with a new Toyota one
Also be aware that the gasket does not come supplied with it from Toyota, it's a seperate item.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks for the replies gents. Sounds alot less painfull than some guides have suggested. I have already ordered a thermostat, a stock one from Fensport so hopefully that will be up to the job. If not, well I guess I'll just have to do it again :)

Return to “Mechanical”