Beams owners ?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

brechen

Re: Beams owners ?

Post by brechen »

i'm the one that bought Chris his beams, and after about 7 months i finally got almost all the papers to get it on the road, worst months of my life, having that beauty on my driveway and not being able to drive it! god i hate belgium :evil:
bill

Post by bill »

can someone shed some light onto what a beams is :?:
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_3S-GE_engine
The fourth generation 3S-GE, also known as the BEAMS 3S-GE began production in 1997. The first version was equipped with VVT-i and produced 197 bhp (147 kW, 200 PS) @ 7000 rpm. It was available in a few models sold only in Japan - the MR2 G and G-Limited, the Celica ST202 SS-II and SS-III and the Caldina. BEAMS is an acronym which stands for Breakthrough Engine with Advanced Mechanism System.

http://www.beams-redtop.com/redhome.htm
bill

Post by bill »

cheers pal, see quite a few threads mentioning them at the minute, and wondered what the crack was :thumleft:
greeny

Post by greeny »

Rogue wrote:I've got a BEAMS engine sat on a pallet at Rogue HQ - it's most likely going to be built up into a race car for the MR2 Super GT series next year. :thumleft:

Did you ever get the beams turbo engine running chap?
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

greeny wrote:Did you ever get the beams turbo engine running chap?

Yes - earlier this year in fact. After abandoning my road car project in favour of putting the money into racing I sold the turbo BEAMS engine as a complete package to a member on here. Originally intended to be used with a Radtec chargecooler we ended up re-using the new owners ST205 unit, and in lieu of the Berk exhaust which didn't arrive in time the car ended up being mapped with a standard exhaust fitted. IIRC it made 346bhp and 300lb/ft at the hubs at 1.5 bar , which was the limit of the map sensor installed. The peak figures are only really a small part of the story though as the VVTi improved the mid-range torque considerably.

Last time I spoke to the owner he was considering racing it in the MR2 Super GT series next year. Now that would be cool!
Marf

Post by Marf »

Was that with the GT28RS?
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Marf wrote:Was that with the GT28RS?

Yes inded!

Marf

Post by Marf »