Daily drive mr2 (how much power are you running)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

2barGee

Daily drive mr2 (how much power are you running)

Post by 2barGee »

As above really, what power is your mr2 kicking out as a daily drive??

I'll start

350bhp

lets see who has got the highest!!!!

I was doing about a 60miles in her every day but I just got a new job so only 20 now!!! So I'm saving loads in petrol!!
Steve Horrocks

Re: Daily drive mr2 (how much power are you running)

Post by Steve Horrocks »

At the moment, 440 bhp, jus need to sort boost pipes out & run more boost and power!!!!
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

but are these Daily Drive "Winter MR2's" as well or are you tucking these beasts away for the winter?? :mrgreen:

Will be getting on a dyno soon once I get the AVCR fitted
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:but are these Daily Drive "Winter MR2's" as well or are you tucking these beasts away for the winter?? :mrgreen:

yeh mine is :-)

440 is the ice/wet will be fun ;-)

I've still got r888's on as well!!!! :shock:
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

Gee Man wrote:
Steve-O 2007 wrote:but are these Daily Drive "Winter MR2's" as well or are you tucking these beasts away for the winter?? :mrgreen:

thats asking for trouble :lol:
300 is enough for an all year round daily driver, well, i say enough, what i actually mean is that is all i am running :lol:
turbo

Post by turbo »

mine is running 365@wheels and on the road all year long :D
12.3@118 at pod
vishpish

Post by vishpish »

190 on the v6 :D perfect DD material
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

Post by Bobby (aka Shaggar) »

Gotta be just below 300hp with new spec (ignore profile, to be updated), once I'm bored with that, in goes the chargecooler and ecu and along come a wad more.

Oh, and yes, it's an all year rounder no matter the weather.

B
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

294.7bhp
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Post by afennell »

Gee Man wrote:

Love it, Your hardcore mate, hat off to you. :thumleft:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Gee Man wrote:As above really, what power is your mr2 kicking out as a daily drive??

I'll start

350bhp

I was doing about a 60miles in her every day but I just got a new job so only 20 now!!! So I'm saving loads in petrol!!

Was the mileage any worse than with the standard fuel system and turbo? Also any differences using the pfc? I was a bit worried that it doesnt do anything if you get knock.

I was tempted to get a TD06 and some bigger injectors and run with a pfc but then I thought it wouldnt be reliable for day to day use.

Although tbh my car is fast enough for me now!
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

I'm still daily driving mine and have done over 4 years now :thumleft:

Winter tyres were a godsend the last couple of years as we had quite a lot of snow fall and ice but I think the MR2 can certainly be daily driven all through the year if you are sensible and the car has the right tyres.

Power wise when I was still running my TD06 I had anywhere between 280whp and 350whp depending on what boost controller setting and whether I needed the extra power or not :lol:

I now have a GT28rs which I consider a worse daily drive turbo on my car for reasons of boost creep (and I have a 38mm external Tial wastegate too) which makes adjusting boost levels a pain - was never a problem on the TD06. Have yet to get back on the dyno with the new turbo though.
sjm1984

Post by sjm1984 »

328WHP

10k miles this year and going strong

Kongaroo wrote:
Power wise when I was still running my TD06 I had anywhere between 280whp and 350whp depending on what boost controller setting and whether I needed the extra power or not :lol:

I now have a GT28rs which I consider a worse daily drive turbo on my car for reasons of boost creep (and I have a 38mm external Tial wastegate too) which makes adjusting boost levels a pain - was never a problem on the TD06. Have yet to get back on the dyno with the new turbo though.

how do you compare the 2 turbo's? what buzz do/did you get from them? :lol:
Marf

Post by Marf »

Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Kongaroo wrote:I'm still daily driving mine and have done over 4 years now :thumleft:

Winter tyres were a godsend the last couple of years as we had quite a lot of snow fall and ice but I think the MR2 can certainly be daily driven all through the year if you are sensible and the car has the right tyres.

When did you start using winter tyres and when did you take em off. I've been thinking about getting a set but then i'm not sure what i'd do with my lightly used GSD3's on my winter wheels. I'm just hoping it doesnt snow or if it does i'll work at home or something. :mrgreen:

I was realy interested in the GT28 untill I heard people having creep issues with them. I thought the EWGT solved the problem in most cases, what make is your kit?
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Race Idiot wrote:
Gee Man wrote:As above really, what power is your mr2 kicking out as a daily drive??

I'll start

350bhp

Was the mileage any worse than with the standard fuel system and turbo? Also any differences using the pfc? I was a bit worried that it doesnt do anything if you get knock.

I was tempted to get a TD06 and some bigger injectors and run with a pfc but then I thought it wouldnt be reliable for day to day use.

Although tbh my car is fast enough for me now!

hi mate with the 800cc injectors & power fc as long as I don't drive like a total tit I get better mileage that the stock set up especially on the motor way!
Mine has been running this power for over a year now & I've done about 6tracks days on top of road driving & mine has never missed a beat :-)
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

sjm1984 wrote:how do you compare the 2 turbo's? what buzz do/did you get from them? :lol:

GT28rs without a doubt is a faster spooler than the TD06 but I think you'd mainly see the advantages on a tight track rather than with daily driving - ie. accelerating out of slow corners. On a daily drive car this is less of an issue and can be driven around fairly easily by staying in an appropriate gear.

Pure BHP potential and therefore raw acceleration is obviously better with the TD06 :thumleft:
sjm1984

Post by sjm1984 »

Kongaroo wrote:
Pure BHP potential and therefore raw acceleration is obviously better with the TD06 :thumleft:

:mrgreen:

Wicked
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Race Idiot wrote:When did you start using winter tyres and when did you take em off. I've been thinking about getting a set but then i'm not sure what i'd do with my lightly used GSD3's on my winter wheels. I'm just hoping it doesnt snow or if it does i'll work at home or something. :mrgreen:

I was realy interested in the GT28 untill I heard people having creep issues with them. I thought the EWGT solved the problem in most cases, what make is your kit?

Luckily I have a few sets of alloys so I don't need to go to the tyre shop each time I want to swap on the winter set. I normally do the swap once the weather forecast shows the day temperature to be consistently below 7 degrees and take them off when it starts to be consistently above 7 degrees C. I'll probably be looking to make my swap within the next few weeks.

Yes boost creep is an issue with the GT28RS - more so if you have a very free flowing setup. I was hoping the external wastegate would make this less of an issue but I get a minimum of 18.x psi boost in 3rd gear and the same setting can give me as high as 20.x psi in 4th on a cold day. As you can imagine this makes it a nightmare for setting boost levels and makes mapping the car less precise compared to when I was mapping my TD06. It also means I have a 'minimum' power level that I can't go below even if I wanted to :mrgreen:

Peter (SBITs) did all the work of putting the kit together for me so I guess that makes this the first SBITs turbo kit? :lol:
megatart

Post by megatart »

My 454bhp is my daily driver. Grips really well in winter on the wet, greasy roads too...... not!! And for the last few months, has been reliable!!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”