Anyone else's MR2 leak - Tintop?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

easty-5

Anyone else's MR2 leak - Tintop?

Post by easty-5 »

I have a rev 3 tintop MR2 and it isn't very watertight. Namely the window seals it would seem. As a result if there is heavy rain overnight the car gets a bit damp and if there is heavy frost (like this morning) then I have to scrape the INSIDE of the windscreen along with the outside!

What do I need to solve the problem? It seems that the window isn't tight enough against the rubber when the door is closed.

I hope that makes some kind of sense to someone.

Cheers,
Jamie
chr15_84t3

Re: Anyone else's MR2 leak - Tintop?

Post by chr15_84t3 »

there is apparently an adjustment for the window glass to make them sit tighter against the seals i've never done it tho so couldnt tell you how to do it. you'll have to remove the door card to do it tho i'd have thought. other than that dunno what to suggest, new seals maybe?
going4the1

Post by going4the1 »

The instructions to adjust the glass are here:

http://www.mr2-tech.com/bgb/mechanical/volume2/body.htm

Page BO-18
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Also remove rear of the seats side trim panels (engine lid release etc) my rear quarter glass windows leaked in water they were bonded in. After respray the bodyshop decided the rubber seal was adequate wrong whether Toyota had water ingress warranty issues and then went for bonding and the rubber gasket idea. Check rear carpets for damp.
Marf

Post by Marf »

I have a leak coming from somewhere around the vented plastic bit that sits behind the quarter window.

When it rains heavily, my seat belt comes out damp.
cosmos

leaks

Post by cosmos »

The rear quarter glass has a metal band around its perimeter where three 8mm studs pass through the bodyshell and the three 8mm nuts screw up and compress the rubber gasket that is encopassing the metal band. I am of the opinion that this is the original waterseal in the 1989 design, come 199? water ingress problems and warranty became an issue and sealant bonding became the norm. My respray company QVR at Daventry had several experiences on older MR2s (not bonded only reliant on the rubber gasket) and thought they knew better when it came to my 1999 tubby rebuild (no bond), but they did remark that to remove the 1/4 glass they had to use a cheese wire to cut through the bond, which they forgot come the rebuild. So QVR and National Windscreens refitted with seal bond and now seems ok, luckilly i left off rear side trims and toolbox and discovered this. Yes the window leaks tricle down in the rear vent area which is the natural run off route. How many MR2s have i heard of that suffer rust on the rear of the sills areas could it be they are permanently damp from years of leaks?? My tubby had one jap owner (i have full history) and in all pobability at 30,000mls and 3yrs old in 2003 when i took ownership was as Toyota meant her to be bonded. But in the cold light of day three screws/nuts and a rubber gasket where there is gonna be warpage deteriation screw tension relaxing hot/cold temperature variation. Water ingress is a shifting sand situation water could be running into the box section by the seatbelt reel and not onto the toolbox floor to wet your carpets condensation on the inside of windowscreen is a clue. Trimpanels off, torch, and check when raining good luck. Rob.
Last edited by cosmos on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Useful info, cheers Rob.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”