[Mk2] [Turbo] ST205 Chargecooler Installation Guide (non 56k friendly)

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] ST205 Chargecooler Installation Guide (non 56k friendly)

Post by toxo »

Parts list on the front updated to make things clearer, plus it turns out the part number I had for the bolts to bolt the core down were complete rubbish :oops:
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
irietuning

Post by irietuning »

Has anyone ever installed a chargecooler radiator in the boot or a small radiator in the standard position?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Boot would work, with the usual BMIC mods. I'm not sure the stock intercooler space is big enough. I did mention that on a thread about the radtech chargecooler once and I think they said that there isn't enough space/airflow to the side intake.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

OK, getting the bolts to fix the chargecooler core down was A Very Good Thing. Because of the amount of lagging on the underside of my core it never really came down far enough to meet nicely with the turbo, plus it meant all the work I put in to get the Celica engine hanger to fit was a waste of time. Bolted it down today and it all fits like it should :thumleft:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Looks like us Rev2 owners dont need the Throttle body stay. Been putting my core on and theres actually a big thick bar near the engine hook thats supporting the throttle body nice and strong :D

Also the engine hook on the Rev2 doesnt touch the ST205 Core :D

I bent the Coolant pipes with the extension bar from a ratchet and I found that my mums stainless steel salt grinder is the right size to go into the turbo inlet of the core LOL so I have been using that to bend the pipe into shape.

Stupidly I decided to give it a tap with a hammer and bent the turbo intake pipe out of shape a little (looks a little like a D but not as bad) Once the Turbo hose is bolted on I realy dont think this will matter, I will try and get it back to shape but if I cant then Im sure it will be fine :) :thumleft:

Infact its not actaully that bad now. Its more of one of them things that you can feel but not see -

irietuning

Post by irietuning »

toxo wrote:OK, getting the bolts to fix the chargecooler core down was A Very Good Thing. Because of the amount of lagging on the underside of my core it never really came down far enough to meet nicely with the turbo, plus it meant all the work I put in to get the Celica engine hanger to fit was a waste of time. Bolted it down today and it all fits like it should :thumleft:

What bolts did you use to mount it? Am I better off getting a Rev3 engine hanger as my engine is a celica (205) one and doesnt fit because of the mr2 water pipe. Also I have some thick ignition wiring that wont fit into the plastic cases, How should I protect it?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

You're fitting a Celica engine into an MR2? Or just the Celica engine hanger? Thick HT leads are no bother, I ran my (standard) ones with no plastic casing for 6 months and rev1/2 don't have the casing at all.

Bolts used were 2 x 90119-08790 which are long thin bolts with big fat washers on them. One bolts into the Celica engine hanger (which I modified to fit the MR2 engine) and the other bolts into the cam cover.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

to be honest you only need the cam cover bolt. Once the cam cover bolt is in and the Turbo hose and Throttle body sock are clamped down theres no way in hell its going to move!!! I grabbed mine and couldnt move it at all, infact I could wobble my car with it (which is hard to do with its ultra stiff suspension) and the core still wouldnt move!!!

But obviously if you buy the ST205 hanger you might as well use it :)
irietuning

Post by irietuning »

toxo wrote:You're fitting a Celica engine into an MR2? Or just the Celica engine hanger? Thick HT leads are no bother, I ran my (standard) ones with no plastic casing for 6 months and rev1/2 don't have the casing at all.

Bolts used were 2 x 90119-08790 which are long thin bolts with big fat washers on them. One bolts into the Celica engine hanger (which I modified to fit the MR2 engine) and the other bolts into the cam cover.

Yep celica engine with celica hangers...I have a dead rev2 engine.Should i use this hanger? If I was to have something manufatured, do you think that I could mount it a few inches higher than its suopposedd to be
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Cool, you'll have to do things with the alternator and the power steering too...

Just chop the end off the hanger like I did, there's a photo in the thread.
simpson_eh

installation

Post by simpson_eh »

ive almost completed this installation on my mr2 rev3

the pump is gravity fed which i have been having problems with for ages, if i locate it like the pics it wont run the coolant at all tried everything hours and hours of bleeding, now i have turned the beacket upside down so the pump is above the bottom of the gear box same problem.

as soon as i turned the pump inlet facing up hey presto straight away it worked, took seconds to bleed and the flow is great

i payed £133.46 for all the parts listed from toyota
£200 for the core various pipes pump expansion bottle
£36 for 10m of 19 mm hose
£26 for rad
prob about £60 for all the hoses and joiners if not a bit more. great for my ebay score lol

prob a few more pound on bits and pieces so this isnt a cheap mod prob £500 to do unless you can source cheaper parts but most of this was from ebay reducers about £7 each which is cheap

the pump was a real issue as red went to + and black - as usual but this actually spun the impellar backwards, so had to swap these round.
a third wire is run straight to the redundant light on the dash that if it stays on the pump is naffed mates an autoelectrician .
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

So the Red wire should goto Earth and the Black wire to Positive ?
simpson_eh

wiring

Post by simpson_eh »

on mine that is right ??? has not been rewired so seemed strange pull the top off the pump and have a look which way your spins 3 x10 mill bolts i think

but mines all running now atlast lol
ELS

Post by ELS »

Hey simpson_eh, could you kindly post a couple of pics up showing how you mounted your ST205 pump please....

Im sure a lot of people will find this very helpful :thumleft:
simpson_eh

which way round

Post by simpson_eh »

yup il take a few on monday as im taking it in for topmounts
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

ran without the pump today by mistake!!! #-o #-o Luckilly it was just about 10 mins driving down the road and back but the roads were so wet I hardly used any boost anyway. Felt the coolant and it was still cool so that was lucky.

^^ Probably the negative part about running the pump via a switch
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:ran without the pump today by mistake!!! #-o #-o Luckilly it was just about 10 mins driving down the road and back but the roads were so wet I hardly used any boost anyway. Felt the coolant and it was still cool so that was lucky.

^^ Probably the negative part about running the pump via a switch

yeah you want to fix that issue. Should run a 2nd live switch for +boost pressure
irietuning

Post by irietuning »

Does it matter I connected the water pipes the other way around to the core or are they specific inlet or outlet

Also My reducers have kinks in them as they run close to things and each other, will this be a problem
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

If you're pumping the wrong way then you will get an eye full of coolant when you run the pump without the cap on top of the core!

Small kinks (45 degrees say) won't be too much of a problem as long as your pipe is strong enough not to warp when hot.
Last edited by toxo on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

kinks restrict flow and provide back pressure to the pump. best to get them sorted

Return to “Modifications”