Is it worth fitting a £400+ EBC to a REV3+ for an extra 2psi??

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Chris.L

Is it worth fitting a £400+ EBC to a REV3+ for an extra 2psi??

Post by Chris.L »

I've recently fitted a Berk downpipe to my rev3 turbo and have been really impressed with the difference. Coupled with an apexi intake, intercooler and departure exhaust I am often seeing boost spikes in 2nd gear to 14psi, and the rest 15 psi tailing off to 14

My next mod was going to be an EBC, but ive been reading on here safe limits for rev3 boost on a stock set up would be 17psi?

My preffered EBC would be an Apexi AVC-R but at the cost of £400+ plus fitting I can't decide weather it's going to be worth spending that kind of money for another 2psi/20bhp???

Will an EBC offer any other improvements such as quicker spool up make it worth spending the money?
Marf

Re: Is it worth fitting a £400+ EBC to a REV3+ for an extra 2psi??

Post by Marf »

My turbo does seem to spool faster with an EBC running the show.

Also, no reason why you shouldnt buy second hand and fit the unit yourself. Its really easy. Thats what I did with my Blitz SBC IDIII.

Controller cost me £250 and took me an hour to fit/setup.
Rev5GT

Post by Rev5GT »

Used AVC-R £200 http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=125928

Good to have to adjust boost etc and keep an eye on how its running. Cant get better for the price IMO.

Rash
Nick86

Post by Nick86 »

boost controller is definately worth the money. transforms the car in terms of straight line performance. then a remap on piggyback or aftermarket ecu is the next thing that also transforms the car..
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

It's an easy DIY and definitely worth it, not just more top end power but more power right through the rev range.
buying one second hand and fitting it yourself won't cost you more than £200, plus you not wasting your money because it's something you can always sell for an even return :wink:
timmomr2

Post by timmomr2 »

cant you adjust the gain or something like that on alot of ebc's so that the boost comes in harder or earlier.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

timmomr2 wrote:cant you adjust the gain or something like that on alot of ebc's so that the boost comes in harder or earlier.

yes :wink:
David21

Post by David21 »

I also think the EBC is defo worth the money espesh if you get a good second hand one. As mentioned if setup well it can transform the way the car pulls obviously because you have the ability to set when and how much you want the boost to come on.

With the AVCR it also gives you other useful information. However as with always stuff like this and other gauges you can quite easily get obsessed watching what your engine is doing more than the road :roll: ](*,) #-o

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”