can't boost past .8 bar...AVCR rev 2

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

allan

Re: can't boost past .8 bar...AVCR rev 2

Post by allan »

David21 wrote:So i think what you need to do is set all the gears with an X and set the start duty above 0% then it should know not to use the learn gear funtion......me thinks :-k

i've allready tried this... nothing change...
is anybody there know this avc-r perfectly ?
I've seen many many post about the AVC-r, may be it could be usefull to create something about this system in the knowledge base of the forum...
So for now...i'm still lost... more ideas ?
David21

Post by David21 »

So your saying you've set the boost and duty percentage and not left it as *** and you have also set all the gears to X?

It explains it in the manual quite clearly i'm sure.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

If it won't make boost with 90% its not plumbed in right. Make sure you have everything plumbed correctly with regard to the solenoid.

HT leads etc won't really effect boost, the turbo will spool regardless...........as long as your not missing excessively etc.

For a really crude check just connect a hose from the boost piping or inlet manifold direct to the actuator. It will boost like ****** so be carefull and only go light throttle. That wil prove turbo can do it. Baically the boost from your inlet manifold/boost pipe will hold the actuator closed no matter what!
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

thats surely the way to go m8...check that the solenoid isn't fubard, but be very light footed...set the avcr to .8 bar boost and put it on screen to hold the peak value...this is easy to follow from the manual :thumleft:
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

Jimbob wrote: For a really crude check just connect a hose from the boost piping or inlet manifold direct to the actuator. It will boost like ****** so be carefull and only go light throttle. That wil prove turbo can do it. Baically the boost from your inlet manifold/boost pipe will hold the actuator closed no matter what!

Jimbob you have got that the wrong way round. take the boost/vacum pipe off the actuator and the wastegate will stay shut causing overboost

connect it straight to the actuator and you wil hit actuator pressure :thumleft:
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Yeah your right Marc. Getting confused often these days!

You sell the ol' beast yet? I'm still after them lights!
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

Jimbob wrote:Yeah your right Marc. Getting confused often these days!

You sell the ol' beast yet? I'm still after them lights!

I want to sell it but cant bring myself to do it lol .
allan

Post by allan »

hi folks,
I'm thinking abut an another thing: may be the intake temperature sensor in my stock AFM is malfunctioning, and cause the problem.
Because, when the engine is "cold" everything seem to be fine, after a few kilometers, the well know boost problem appear...
My idle is sometimes quite strange: randomly, when i start the car, the idle is fine, ans sometimes it raise up to 1300 rpm, and fall to normal RPM.
Sometimes it's the opposite, the idle is very slow (650 rpm) and rise slowly to 800 rpm...

any idea ?
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

you surely have a leak there m8...have you done as suggested...take of the vac pipe going to your actuator and block it off with a screw and clip, then it should boost like a nutter so be very carefull and gently go for a spin in your car...DO NOT GIVE IT MUCH THROTTLE...also check all your coupling pipe from throttle body to intercooler etc...I had one with a tiny split and it really affected the running of the car at medium revs when boosting, after I fixed it I got overboost and had to adjust the AVCR...also as you suggest I have had a loose AFM connector that caused very erratic and poor running, you could have a badly damaged wire or connection.check for error codes.
redeye32uk

Post by redeye32uk »

Allan, did you get this sortted?
450wbhp comming soon
allan

Post by allan »

unfortunately, not yet....
I'm quite overbooked for now... :-(
do you have some ideas to help me ?
redeye32uk

Post by redeye32uk »

Just that i've had the same problem and found out that a chip inside has blown on the smaller cuircit board and you can't get replacements. Everything eles works fine , it just won't send a signal to the solenoid.
450wbhp comming soon
allan

Post by allan »

wow !
A chip inside what ?
The apexi controler ?
redeye32uk

Post by redeye32uk »

yep, inside the controller, theres 2 circuit boards insde, its on the smaller of the 2 boards and sends the signal to the solenoid to control the boost.
Solenoid is fine but as its getting no signal you'll only run at actuator pressure which is 0.8bar.
450wbhp comming soon
sjm1984

Post by sjm1984 »

redeye32uk wrote:yep, inside the controller, theres 2 circuit boards insde, its on the smaller of the 2 boards and sends the signal to the solenoid to control the boost.
Solenoid is fine but as its getting no signal you'll only run at actuator pressure which is 0.8bar.

Stupid question, how would you find out if this is the case?

do a sensor check?
redeye32uk

Post by redeye32uk »

I managed to borrow someones control unit which worked fine so new that my solenoid was fine. I opened up my control unit and you could see the burned out parts on the circiut board................. ](*,)
450wbhp comming soon
sjm1984

Post by sjm1984 »

is the clicking noise on the units normal?

as in when you boost it makes a clicking noise?
Moo

Post by Moo »

The solenoid will make a clicking noise, that's normal for EBC's.
sjm1984

Post by sjm1984 »

And if the clicking noise doesnt happen anymore does that mean the solenoid is bu88ered
Moo

Post by Moo »

Not necessarily, it could also mean the control unit itself is bu88ered. I had the same problem with a Profec B Spec 2, no clicking from the solenoid so replaced the solenoid, still had the problem, tried with a different control box and it worked with both solenoids.

Solenoids are less prone to failure than the control boxes.

Return to “Modifications”