4age 20v Blacktop?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ppre89

4age 20v Blacktop?

Post by ppre89 »

Does the 4age 20v out of such cars as the AE111 Corolla fit straight into the MK1b? I've had a look round seen a few with the conversion but still havent found whether they bolt straight in or whether mounts need moving etc? Help please :D
System-G

Re: 4age 20v Blacktop?

Post by System-G »

It is a straight fit, but you may need a suitable (AW11) gearbox if the engine/box is sourced from a Corolla.

You'll also need the wiring loom & ECU as well as "customise" the cooling pipes and expansion bottle. I think the cooling pipes/expansion bottle from the Corolla could be used. There may also be some wiring needed to integrate with the existing loom going forward so the fuse box in the engine bay may also be needing to be replaced with that from the Corolla

NeilTurbo has a 20V powered MK1 so he should be able to give more insight.

Cracking conversion and the throttle bodies sound lush 8)
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

System-G wrote:It is a straight fit, but you may need a suitable (AW11) gearbox if the engine/box is sourced from a Corolla.

Not necessarily. You could use the 'Rolla box, if the engine is a blacktop. This is a C160 6-speed box, and conversions have been done to bolt this up to the 16v 4AGE, so keeping it mated to the blacktop 20v would be doable. You've just got to make sure everything is the right way around! :lol: You have to mod the shift linkage so that it points out of the front of the gearbox rather than the rear, as it would be if you bolted it straight up having moved it from the FWD Corolla. There are writeups on the 'net about doing this.

They use the same axles, front and rear mounts, and the same clutch.

IMO this would be an awesome swap: 20v with a 6-speed box. Lush.
ppre89

Post by ppre89 »

Alot of food for fort :-k
But yes I just love that induction noise from the Blacktops :lol: heard my first one in an AE86 Corolla and just started dribbling :clown: I think the noise would suit the 2 so well. :D The six speed box sounds like an idea, would the ratios of the 6 speed suit it more than the 5?
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

Hello

I have the 20v silvertop in mine, though a little less powerfull than the blacktop they will stand up to the abuse a little bit more, so a more suited engine to track, which works for me!

The noise of it is absolutely fantastic when its at 8000+ rpm!

One thing i would like to do is move it to a 6 speed box (C160 as Max says) but not been able to find one at a sensible price yet. The shorter ratios in my eyes would be much more suiting.

Pics etc are in my garage.

I plan to have a re-work on the coolant routes this winter
ppre89

Post by ppre89 »

did you do the conversion yourself? Any pics etc would be great :thumleft:
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

I took the easy route and bought the car with the conversion already done :mrgreen:

I will sort some closer up pics at the weekend :thumleft:
ppre89

Post by ppre89 »

Pictures would be great please. Buying one already done would be a smarter choice but i really want another project. And I'm certain this is the route im gonna go down :D
Nightfire

Post by Nightfire »

I have a Blacktop in my Trueno and my advice would be to use silvertop con rods as the blacktop rods are notoriously thin.

But it is a brilliant engine, One of the best Toyota/Yamaha made in my opinion

VVT engagement is :twisted:
ppre89

Post by ppre89 »

:eye: Trueno! :lover: The home of the first Black Top I heard at full wack :D I'm really on the fence, black top 86? or Black Top MR2? 86 for the sheer oversteer fun :D but been having a bit to much fun lately in my volvo and my licence is at risk now so MR2 would be better for the Lanes out the way? what to do what to do what to do :-k
Nightfire

Post by Nightfire »

ppre89 wrote::eye: Trueno! :lover: The home of the first Black Top I heard at full wack :D I'm really on the fence, black top 86? or Black Top MR2? 86 for the sheer oversteer fun :D but been having a bit to much fun lately in my volvo and my licence is at risk now so MR2 would be better for the Lanes out the way? what to do what to do what to do :-k

There is nowt like the sound of the 20v blacktop at 8,000 RPM 8)

And its in fact in my AE111 Trueno but still fun even though its a fwd :thumleft:
ppre89

Post by ppre89 »

\:D/ good stuffs \:D/
tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

me & me bro put a black top 20v in his g6r corolla (comes with a six speed box as standard) it was running a hks ecu 197 fhp & rev limit set to 9000rpm , :thumleft:
Nightfire

Post by Nightfire »

tarmac terrorist wrote:me & me bro put a black top 20v in his g6r corolla (comes with a six speed box as standard) it was running a hks ecu 197 fhp & rev limit set to 9000rpm , :thumleft:

There is a chap on the AE111 owners that runs his up to 9900Rpm limit so it gives you a good indication that they can take the abuse
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

Nightfire wrote:
tarmac terrorist wrote:me & me bro put a black top 20v in his g6r corolla (comes with a six speed box as standard) it was running a hks ecu 197 fhp & rev limit set to 9000rpm , :thumleft:

There is a chap on the AE111 owners that runs his up to 9900Rpm limit so it gives you a good indication that they can take the abuse

for about 10 seconds before it chews bearings or spits a rod or piston out the side of the block. the stock bottom end is reliable upto about 7500rpm tops, even then it will destroy itself in a fairly short period of time if used there for prolonged periods (e.g. lots of track use). beyond 8000rpm on a stock bottom end its just a matter of time before something lets go catastrophically, its a miracle it didnt happen the first time the guy revved to 9900rpm! aside from the fact that unless hes done a load of supporting modifications hes probably making the same power at 9900rpm as he is at 3000rpm.

to rev to 10k and make use of it youre talking about a £10,000 engine, minimum. the 20V is no better than the 16V, its just in a higher state of tune from the factory.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

ppre89 wrote::eye: Trueno! :lover: The home of the first Black Top I heard at full wack :D I'm really on the fence, black top 86? or Black Top MR2? 86 for the sheer oversteer fun :D but been having a bit to much fun lately in my volvo and my licence is at risk now so MR2 would be better for the Lanes out the way? what to do what to do what to do :-k

AE86 is the dream choice. But really it's going to come down to money. MR2s can be had for peanuts but eight-six's are expensive to buy.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

Jim-SR wrote:
Nightfire wrote:

for about 10 seconds before it chews bearings or spits a rod or piston out the side of the block. the stock bottom end is reliable upto about 7500rpm tops, even then it will destroy itself in a fairly short period of time if used there for prolonged periods (e.g. lots of track use). beyond 8000rpm on a stock bottom end its just a matter of time before something lets go catastrophically, its a miracle it didnt happen the first time the guy revved to 9900rpm! aside from the fact that unless hes done a load of supporting modifications hes probably making the same power at 9900rpm as he is at 3000rpm.

to rev to 10k and make use of it youre talking about a £10,000 engine, minimum. the 20V is no better than the 16V, its just in a higher state of tune from the factory.

Factory limit on the silvertop is 8200-8300, mine constantly goes there on track. OK so not quite 9 but more than 7500 "tops".
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Neil_turbo wrote:
Factory limit on the silvertop is 8200-8300, mine constantly goes there on track. OK so not quite 9 but more than 7500 "tops".

Well quite. No point having an engine that has a higher rev limit than what it can safely cope with. Remember Fensport saying they'd had a 20v up to 9300rpm without issue.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Nightfire

Post by Nightfire »

Jim-SR wrote:
Nightfire wrote:

Dunno mate, The guy seems to know his stuff so maybe he does have other mods that are unknown to myself :thumleft:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

sorry to ask a really dumb question but is the Toyota Levin BZG is that RWD or FWD?

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”