[Mk2] [Turbo] Engine issues - what to do?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

hkwc104

[Mk2] [Turbo] Engine issues - what to do?

Post by hkwc104 »

A few months ago, I was having a high/lumpy idle problem looked at on my 1995 rev3 tubby. After several hours fiddling with the throttle positioning sensor and replacing throttle bodies the cause could not be identified.

Subsequently, a leak down test was performed and showed that cylinder 3 was hemorrhaging air and a engine rebuild//replacement was on the cards. This was truly devastating news given that I had only owned the car for several months.

Despite the crushing news, a glimpse of hope came about when I remembered that the engine had been rebuilt just over a year ago (in Oct 2008) with forged pistons and thicker gaskets. With this in mind I was told that there was a good chance the engine could be saved by refurbing/replacing the head (a much cheaper option than an engine rebuild). However, the garage would only be able to confirm this by removing the head.

So my predicament is what to do:

a) should I take the risk and have the head removed and face one of two outcomes: 1) pray and hope that a relatively straightforward head refurb/replacement would fix the issue (at a cost of £1000+) or 2) face more heart-wrenching news by finding out the engine cant be saved and therefore have wasted money in having the head removed. And even if the engine can be saved will the head refurb sort out the elusive high/lumpy idle problem?

b) just give up on the existing engine and buy a second hand engine and have it installed (at a cost of £1500+)

c) break the car/sell for spares or repairs

Any help or suggestions would be deeply appreciated as I just don't know what to do anymore.

Cheers,

Henry
alanmr2turbo

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Engine issues - what to do?

Post by alanmr2turbo »

i would go for rebuilding your engine.

what makes you think buying another engine will be any different. You may fit engine and end up in the same boat 5 - 6 months down the line.
hkwc104

Post by hkwc104 »

Only reason I thought that getting a replacement engine might be a solution is that many of them are guaranteed (albeit for limited mileage/time) and some have even had recent rebuilds.
3S Service Centre

Post by 3S Service Centre »

Henry it would be worth getting a boroscope examination done. if there is no evidence of detonation on the pistons or worse theres a good chance you can fix it.
:thumleft:
call James on 01256 883386 or 07786073755
hkwc104

Post by hkwc104 »

Can the boroscope examination be done without having the head taken off and is this something you can do James?

Return to “Mechanical”