I need drop links - where to buy?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

DNOS808

I need drop links - where to buy?

Post by DNOS808 »

Hi Peeps

I need Mk1b droplink expertise!

I have the usual knocking coming from my front suspension and I am going to try changing the droplinks to cure it.

I have heard that ford Focus ones work well and I was wondering if the Ford ones suit the front or the rear on the mk1.

Is there a particular year of Focus that the links that fit the Mk1 are from?

Any answers and/or advice gratefully recieved

Regards
Andrew
SuperRedMR2

Re: I need drop links - where to buy?

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Toyota do them for about £44 each last time I bought some plus VAT of course
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

i can supply and fit for that !! go to your local factors or search ebay you should get them cheaper. the for ones would need cutting and welding. not good in my eyes.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

I fitted these to my Mk1 and had no problems so far:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-MR2-Mk1-fr ... 20adbe241a

That’s after having to replace 2 sets from 2's R Us failing in less than 5 years at £75 a set. So price doesn’t always reflect quality.
System-G

Post by System-G »

After numerous ebay sets and a set of the SBITS ones, I now use Toyota :thumleft:

Although saying that, even though the SBITS's ones started rattling a couple of days in, they were still good for a few years. The problem is the SBITS ones are not designed for road use although if you cover the ball-joints after fitting with marigold finger tips or tips from thicker rubber gloves, they last much, much longer.
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

System-G wrote:After numerous ebay sets and a set of the SBITS ones, I now use Toyota :thumleft:

Although saying that, even though the SBITS's ones started rattling a couple of days in, they were still good for a few years. The problem is the SBITS ones are not designed for road use although if you cover the ball-joints after fitting with marigold finger tips or tips from thicker rubber gloves, they last much, much longer.

Ok but at £75 a pair I don’t expect to have to modernise them so they last more than a few years :(
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

System-G wrote:After numerous ebay sets and a set of the SBITS ones, I now use Toyota :thumleft:

what do the SBITS ones cost? Whiteline do universal fitment drop links that are basically the same that have rubber covers for the ball joints. and they arent excessively pricey (about £200 for a set of 4) and are of higher quality than the adjustable MR2 options ive seen. a customer ran them on a race car with no issues, bearing in mind it runs fairly wide slicks and turns laptimes about 5 seconds off the pace of a BTCC car!! so considerably more loads involved than a road car, and my adjustable drop links (SBITS i think) are already knocking after about 3 months use lol.
System-G

Post by System-G »

I can't remember off the top of my head, but they were comparible to the MrT ones (Circa £60 or £70/axle??) :thumleft:

The Whitelines do sound good though :thumleft:
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

I thought the MrT ones were £60-70 per droplink? :-k If it's per axle that's pretty good and on a par with the TwosRuS (US) and sBits ones, altho the US TwosRuS are much chunkier than the sBits ones.
System-G

Post by System-G »

You might be right on the price the Chris. I really can't remember
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

System-G wrote:You might be right on the price the Chris. I really can't remember

:lol: Last time I asked at Toyota was when I replaced the fronts on my MK1 Coupe which was in the region of 8-9 years ago. So the TwosRuS ones have lasted pretty well as they came over to the T-bar (yes I know the car's been off the road for the last 3 years). :lol:
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Limeymk1 wrote:I thought the MrT ones were £60-70 per droplink? :-k If it's per axle that's pretty good and on a par with the TwosRuS (US) and sBits ones, altho the US TwosRuS are much chunkier than the sBits ones.

TCB sell genuine Toyota fronts for £40+VAT each
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

Limeymk1 wrote:I thought the MrT ones were £60-70 per droplink? :-k If it's per axle that's pretty good and on a par with the TwosRuS (US) and sBits ones, altho the US TwosRuS are much chunkier than the sBits ones.

I can't remember off the top of my head how much the MrT ones were, but I definitely remember the US TwosRUs ones being cheaper. And much more yummy:

:D

They are now actually available in red, I believe.

And I used a thick rubber glove finger to cover the bushes in the ends to stop them seizing/rusting. I filled the glove with grease to keep it all supple.
They've only had to last 8 months so far, but I've not noticed a problem with them. And it's wonderful receiving something so chunky compared to the standard wimpy ones... :lol:

I also got my rear tie-bars from the US TwosRUs at the same time. Well worth the money IMO:

Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

If you want ones that last, toyota is the only sensible option. You get what you pay for.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
System-G

Post by System-G »

Looking through my receipts the current droplinks on my track car are apparently Toyota OEM from TCB. 7 month hard track use and they're still good :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”