White over silver SC on EBay

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Speedy

White over silver SC on EBay

Post by Speedy »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 09749&rd=1

Went to have a look last night. If I was to list my 'perfect' mk1, i'd say something like :
- tintop
- sc
- white over silver

but you should never meet your heros, because you're always going to be disappointed.
The car itself isn't too bad, needs a new nearside front wing, and a couple of bumpers (they are a bit nerfed). Underneath is solid enough, new screws and fixings on the skirts and wheel arch liners. Missing its front spoiler and part of the windscreen surround.

So we took it for a drive.

The guy who is selling it said he didn't like the way it handles, and I have to say I agree with him, and TBH, it's probably put me off the car. Note to fellow mk1 owners - don't put wheels on which don't have the correct offset, and certainly don't put wider section tyres on it, cos it'll feel rubbish!!! Harder springs on original shocks doesn't ride very well, esp on lumpy country roads.

Aftermarket bling wheel gives less mechanical advantage over the front tyres, and turns 3 point turns into a trip to the gym!

Magnex exhaust sounds great, supercharger goes like a train, brakes are pretty good. AFM problems mean that it doesn't idle very well/at all, and it's pretty lumpy below 2k rpm.

For £2500, it's probably slightly above the money, given the work it still needs (some surface rust needs treatment) - but, he's not desperate to sell it, so I spose it's fine for him.

We drove around for about 30mins probably, and afterwards, the expansion tank was bubbling, so I don't think the coolant has been bled properly, or there's a problem with the fans/thermostat somewhere (temperature gauge was fine though).

Nice guy, and I'm sure this car will make somebody happy in the future, we just think it's a bit expensive, and we don't really have the time to sort out the things which still need doing.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Re: White over silver SC on EBay

Post by tonigmr2 »

Shame that.

We should send you to look at all interesting MK1s as your write-ups are so informative :D
T
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

If I was evil, I could say it was a rusting shed, and get it for a knock-down bargain price :) But then I'd get kneecapped at the next IMOC trackday!

Seriously though, if it had been on it's proper wheels, with some decent tyres (and the original steering wheel), it would have been a much harder decision. As it was, the awful ride was enough to make us seriously consider the other aspects of SC ownership, like the increase in maintence, the fact that the GZ isn't as bullet proof as the GE, and that the gearboxes are a pain in the backside to replace/repair.

Instead we'll look into turning the silver slug into a rather blunt trackday weapon :)
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Hmmn on the GZ not being as bullet proof - hadn't thought about it but I guess you could be right.

The gearbox is a lot stronger though on the upside - but synchro wear on imports is possible where they were used hard over there.

T

p.s. I am shifting this to 'general' as it is certainly 'ON' topic!
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Something else from last night I forgot to mention - the only other time i've been in an SC is Laurens old one at Donny.

I didn't realise until last night that the green light also goes off :D

..kidding!!
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

*snigger* heh heh heh

T
Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm

Post by Chris \'aka rustboy\' Amm »

love the white over silver! although if i went for another MK1 i doubt i'd get the SC, to mental and i hate the way it screams! prefer turbo torque and the quite PTSSSHHHHH of my turbo :)

i think nutty old Mr Woods had it right with the MK1.5 MK1 + 3sgte = excellent combination! :mrgreen:

hope you find a tasty SC soon mate!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Speedy wrote:If I was evil, I could say it was a rusting shed, and get it for a knock-down bargain price :) But then I'd get kneecapped at the next IMOC trackday!

Seriously though, if it had been on it's proper wheels, with some decent tyres (and the original steering wheel), it would have been a much harder decision. As it was, the awful ride was enough to make us seriously consider the other aspects of SC ownership, like the increase in maintence, the fact that the GZ isn't as bullet proof as the GE, and that the gearboxes are a pain in the backside to replace/repair.

Instead we'll look into turning the silver slug into a rather blunt trackday weapon :)

Pretty much what i said to Anna, overpriced for what it is.

Just as an aside i do think the GZE is as reliable as the GE. Remember i did 30+ trackdays in mine plus 30K miles with no problems at all. I drove it fairly hard too. ;)

So there really isn't any more maintenance, its more that things are a little harder to get at.

I guess sorting the suspenders out is something you'd do as a matter of course, but it does sound like it needs a fair bit spending on it to bring it up to scratch
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

OI! less of the old ammon! :D
anna

Post by anna »

If anyone was interested, the guy emailed me last night - he's offering it for £2000 with an MOT and a tidy up.
Still possibly a little expensive, but if anyone wants a scruffy SC......

(to contact him, use the ebay link and 'ask the seller a question')
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

That is a good price IMHO...hmmn :wink:
T
anna

Post by anna »

Quick, anyone want it before the evillllll Toni gets it? LOL :lol:

Defo go an have a look at it if anyone is interested.... so you can see exactly what you are getting for your money.

The guy is pretty keen to get rid of it tho....
Lunarmatic

Post by Lunarmatic »

I've not considered going the mk1 SC route as I presumed they were so rare and/or expensive that I'd be unlikely to find/afford one.

I'd be interested to know how much people reckon it'd cost to fix up. How much would I expect to pay for a decent, doesn't-need-anything-doing-to-it SC?

I've never been in or seen a SC either - is there a problem with them being excessively noisy? Would this make it much less appealing as a daily driver?

I've started looking around at mk1s for sale. I can't decide whether to spend the budget on the car at the outset and hopefully get a good one or whether to get something cheaper that will need some work and put some money into making sure it's solid... I'm tempted to go for a mk1a rather than mk1b this time so that would suggest the latter option may be wiser.
anna

Post by anna »

A decent SC would probably be around the £3000 mark (and either side).

The White over silver one has damage down the nearside - I would need a new front wing, door and some dent removal as there is a slight crease on the panel up to the roof.
There is also surface rust so would need sanding and painting (for specific spots) or a complete respray.
If you didn't care what it looks like, then this one is driveable, has the bigger fensport pulley (so goes some) and the guy contacted me last night to say it went through it's MOT yesterday.

This one really depends on if you want a tatty one or not given it's unlikely to be worth the money to bring it up to pristine.

I just bought a mk1b but was struggling to find a non-rusty (top and bottom!) example for sale! Given the experience of our old rust bucket, you'd be better off paying for one that hasn't started rusting and treating it (underseal etc) to stop it ever going.
superchargedsam

Post by superchargedsam »

what do you mean by SC being more noisy as I have both NA and SC and to be honest there isnt much in it as they are both quite noisy at speed, the engine doesnt make any significantly more noise unless you put a cone type filter and big zorst on it ! As long as the rust hasnt eaten half the car they are worth getting to do up and will give you years of fun and once its done you know its gonna be good for a while if you have faith in your bodyshop especially if they cut and weld fresh metal. The SC is a lot of fun and you could always put a switch on it so you dont have the SC working if you just want to cruise round sedatly. Any Mk1 is gonna be a lot of fun to drive as they are real drivers cars with loads of feedback and you must treat them with respect as they have zero drivers aids, ie. no ABS, TCS, Power steering etc and can catch you out but on the whole handle like a car should handle, sure footed and confidence inspiring while easy to take to the limits ! If you want outright power buy a solid car with blown engine and drop a tubby or V6 in there ala Paul (toyota master) Woods !
Lunarmatic

Post by Lunarmatic »

anna wrote:A decent SC would probably be around the £3000 mark (and either side).

The White over silver one has damage down the nearside - I would need a new front wing, door and some dent removal as there is a slight crease on the panel up to the roof.
There is also surface rust so would need sanding and painting (for specific spots) or a complete respray.

In that case I can see why this one is a bit overpriced. Maybe £1500 would be fairer given the condition of the bodywork?

I didn't realise a good SC would only cost £3000. Might have to keep an eye out for one of those!

anna wrote:I just bought a mk1b but was struggling to find a non-rusty (top and bottom!) example for sale! Given the experience of our old rust bucket, you'd be better off paying for one that hasn't started rusting and treating it (underseal etc) to stop it ever going.

I originally planned to underseal my mk1b when I got it since it was remarkably rust-free and to the best of my knowledge still had the original rear arches (mind you it was a 1990 G plate with only about 80k miles on it). I never got round to it in the end and then sold it anyway.

I think maybe getting the best I can find again this time is going to be preferable since it gives more time to enjoy the car and less opportunity for nasty surprises and big garage bills.
Lunarmatic

Post by Lunarmatic »

superchargedsam wrote:what do you mean by SC being more noisy as I have both NA and SC and to be honest there isnt much in it as they are both quite noisy at speed, the engine doesnt make any significantly more noise unless you put a cone type filter and big zorst on it !

I thought the SC made a more whiny noise because of the charger? This is only from what I remember reading somewhere as I've never seen or heard one in real life.

superchargedsam wrote:The SC is a lot of fun and you could always put a switch on it so you dont have the SC working if you just want to cruise round sedatly.

Out of interest, how does this work? Excuse my ignorance but I thought superchargers were belt driven from the engine - how can you wire it up to turn it on and off?
anna

Post by anna »

Lunarmatic wrote:
In that case I can see why this one is a bit overpriced. Maybe £1500 would be fairer given the condition of the bodywork?

I didn't realise a good SC would only cost £3000. Might have to keep an eye out for one of those!

Well, this one IIRC does come with another engine and gearbox (inc LSD).... I think.... I could be wrong.... so it might be worth £2000 if you take the whole lot into account.

Like I said - you'd need to go see it. It would defo need work on it now though - we don't have the time.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”