New to MR2s, advice before I empty my wallet please :)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

matt77

New to MR2s, advice before I empty my wallet please :)

Post by matt77 »

Hi

I've just left the world of Saab 900 Turbo's after losing heart (my limited-edition Carlsson developed serious rust problems after a serious suspension problem and a serious gearbox problem... you get the picture!!)

I've been trying to learn as much as possible before buying an MR2 but an opportunity has arisen and I would like to run it past you guys first.
Ebay item number 330364103519 - I am going to take a look tomorrow, and it's a long trek. Areas of concern to me are the UK-spec front wings (?), combined with the odd-coloured bumper I suspect a shunt? How would I best check for damage?

If you guys can point out any other areas of concern I would be grateful - I know that no matter how interested I am, a proper enthusiast will spot things straight away that I have missed.

I think the price is fair for the mileage (assuming it's not clocked) and the apparent condition.
Rowland

Re: New to MR2s, advice before I empty my wallet please :)

Post by Rowland »

Power output is incorrect. It's a revision 2 model therefore 225 rather than revision 3+ 240 bhp.

Mileage is exceptionally low. Take that at face value and decide for yourself whether it 'feels' like a car thats done just 49,000
Check all paperwork that appears to verify this.

This colour commonly has a paint difference between bumpers to body work. Over time the plastics appear a shade or two different to steel body panels.

Price is keen providing no obvious mechanical faults.

Bodywork doesn't look too bad, I'd lose the dump valve on a rev2 personally.

Bang for buck, it's worth a look!

:thumleft:
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Doesn't look too bad that. As for UK spec wings, are you on about the side repeaters? Don't wry too much, a lot of them get them put in when they get imported.
Front bumper, could just be a simple repair from parking scuffs etc. Fo some reason, on metallic/light colours, the front bumper always seems a different shade to the rest of the car, presume it's how the paint sits on plastic opposed to steel.
Also, the power will be 220bhp, not 240 as it's a rev2 not a rev 3 which i when the engines changed.
Oh, lose the dump valve on a rev2.

This site is basically everything you will need to know:

http://www.btinternet.com/~netsurf/mr2t/mr2tfaq.html

Welcome by the way.

Edit; looks like I was a bit slow in typing my reply there!
matt77

Post by matt77 »

Thanks, all great info. I was about to post again regarding rev2/3 because I haven't figured that out yet...

Mileage is suspicious but I'll take a look at his paperwork, only problem is I'm currently driving a 4.0L Jeep (seemed like a laugh at the time!!) so it's going to cost me £70 just to go have a look...

I'm setting off at 11am tomorrow so any further ammunition much appreciated :)
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Steve Horrocks wrote:
Edit; looks like I was a bit slow in typing my reply there!

Hehe, great minds think alike!

:wink:

matt77 wrote:I'm setting off at 11am tomorrow so any further ammunition much appreciated

It might be worth using this:

https://www.mytextcheck.com/

Plus this:

L123PRR

To make sure the car previously didn't look like this:

:thumleft:
matt77

Post by matt77 »

That's going to take a LOT of T-Cut!!

Thanks, have done the check and this reggo is clear. It did however give a partial VIN to check, which I will do.
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Nice one - Let us know how you get on tomorrow.

:D
-:[KM]:-

Post by -:[KM]:- »

matt77 wrote:That's going to take a LOT of T-Cut!!

#-o

T-Cut + metallic paint = paint death...
matt77

Post by matt77 »

Well, that was an adventure! 250 miles to have a look at a car is a bit too far, I now realise. Luckily it wasn't a wasted trip - I bought it in a hearbeat, it really is as described :clap:

For the T-Cut I meant the smashed up car above... My one is just going to get a nice layer of wax next time the weather is right :mrgreen:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”