Best EBC

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Steve-O 2007

Best EBC

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Well I think its time to get another EBC, the MBC is fine but I miss being able to adjust settings inside the car and having warnings etc for overboost so was just thinking whats the best EBC out their?

Dont know if I want another HKS EVC as the EVC 3 has broke down twice on me now (I know its old but think I would just be worrying about it)

Are Apexi AVCR's good? Someone at work said that they are one of the best around.
bill

Re: Best EBC

Post by bill »

i've got a greddy profec b spec 11 waiting to go on, only here people rave about them, so from what i gather there spot on :thumleft:
MR2_CL

Post by MR2_CL »

the AVCR's are nice but tbh i don't think there all that good, i have one in mine and don't really like it... i had a EVC5 in my last car and that was the dogs dangles! really was good! all the profec series are really good as well.

Gizmo are up and coming in the world of ebc's but realy it depends on what you want?

if money isnt an issues i personally would go with the new hks evc5, or a Greddy unit, but if the budget isnt big enough for new than try and source a profec 2 or something along the lines, i quite like the specA with the pre set boost setting that you just turn the switch but thats just me lol.
luke t

Post by luke t »

blitz dsbc spec r
the best and easiest to use
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

Yeah the Gizzmo looks good and is reasonably priced might take a punt on it myself 8)

http://www.driftworks.com/catalog/produ ... controller
GTSAARON

Post by GTSAARON »

Yes im tempted by this as well, I would like to know why it is far cheaper than other brands though.

It does look really nice though!!!

Here is the company website ofr Gizzmo if anybody is interested :)

http://www.gizzmoelectronics.co.uk/Home_Company.html
GTSAARON

Post by GTSAARON »

Just done more research and all the Evo boys seem to be using them..... thats good enough for me so I have just placed my order :)
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

I thought the Gizzmo ones were cheap because they dont have as much features as the others?
GTSAARON

Post by GTSAARON »

I think that may be partly the case, they certainly don't have the range of features of an Apexi AVCR but they seem good. Fairly new to the UK I think. I hope it turns out to be good. Delivery is due before 3pm tomorrow :) so I shall post a review once I have it fitted and working :)

Here is the list of features:

Adjustable up to 50lb (3.5bar)
Multi Scramble Boost
Remote Scramble/Boost Memory button facility
Over-Boost warning
Selectable open/closed loop boost control
6 Boost Memories
40mhz High Speed RISC Processor
Black Extruded Aluminium case
Blue 7 segment LED display
White backlit buttons
Real Time digital boost gauge
Simple 2-Wire Installation
Suits Internal or External Wastegates
Comes complete with all fitting

The fastest Skyline in Europe uses one apparantly lol 7.75sec 1/4 at 176mph iirc :evil:
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

Really interested to see how this works out, they get uber reviews is Australlia. I got to say its the lack of me mess upable fetures that interest me :twisted:

Will be interested to see how you get on, did you go for the MS-IBC or the more basic IBC?
GTSAARON

Post by GTSAARON »

I went for the MS-IBC, more out of ignorance really. In hindsight the basic one would probably do me fine. I haven't looked at what the difference is between the two apart from about 30 notes :whistle:

They do seem to get rave reviews in Oz land, I just hope they are justified. Will find out tomorrow when it gets delivered :pray:
Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

Thx for the notice !

Prolly will order one aswell.

(only regretting now the digital blue boost gauge I bought) #-o

Ah well, now I can read both in psi and bar simultaneously :mrgreen:

Will wait for your review :thumleft:
MR2_CL

Post by MR2_CL »

only reason there cheaper is mass production and the slightly more limited features, plus there up and coming and tbh you pay more for the Apexi/HKS name then anything else.

I almost had a Gizmo in my previous car but they were very new then so didnt realy trust them, but they have a good backing now... just remember they are still new and you wont necessarily get any problems with them till a year or so down the line, so there are limited reviews... either way there cheap and seem to do a dam good job for what it is :)
The TVIS Kid

Post by The TVIS Kid »

bill wrote:i've got a greddy profec b spec 11 waiting to go on, only here people rave about them, so from what i gather there spot on :thumleft:

Just be careful with second hand units has the solonoids are prone to faliure (sticking) and lots of the control units pack up too.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Profec-b II
Blitz DSBC-R

:thumleft:
GTSAARON

Post by GTSAARON »

Well finished the install of the Gizzmo MS-IBC and went for a ride :)

Had a play with the settings and even just having the restriction off in first and second is brilliant. I need to play with the gain and duty cycle settings to get nice steady boost though.

What is a recommended boost to run, bear in mind my car is a totally standard rev 3, still with a cat!!! Just an apexi intake. I was hitting just over 1 bar earlier. Is that safe enough to run long term with this standard set up???

Cheers folks :thumleft:
The TVIS Kid

Post by The TVIS Kid »

Yes 1 bar is fine, standard boost is .85-.9 bar anyway. I would get a aftermarket exhaust and decat and maybe an intercooler/charge cooler and you can run up to 1.2 bar.
Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

Was about to order one,

then saw this

http://gizzmoelectronics.com/store/prod ... views_id=1

grrrr ](*,)
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

Ren0W wrote:Was about to order one,

then saw this

http://gizzmoelectronics.com/store/prod ... views_id=1

grrrr ](*,)

They timed that warranty well :lol:

Try a Blitz ID-3 SBC - excellent boost controller with lots of features and easy to use. It's even better when you couple it with the power-ID unit.

If you can't find them then there is the Blitz I-colour SBC which performs all the functions of the ID-3 and Power-ID but in one unit and comes with a colour display :thumleft:
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

Dude, how are you getting on with the Gizzmo?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”