bumper bar help please

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

crx sam

bumper bar help please

Post by crx sam »

hi all still fixing my mk1 up at the mo but hit a bit of a snag i took my bumper off and found that like most of the mr2 mk1's there was almost no
bumper bar left so can some one give me some info on where to buy and how much ect.ect cheers for any reply :thumleft:
MartG

Re: bumper bar help please

Post by MartG »

Around £120 from Toyota IIRC - you may be lucky and find a non-rusty one on ebay, but they are rare. Make sure you get the right one, they differ between 1a and 1b
crx sam

Post by crx sam »

oh right :-k whats the diff then mate my mk1 is a Freg don't know what that means but hope you can tell me cheers :D
pantera2075

Post by pantera2075 »

Yours is a mk1b - I dunno what the difference is tho. If you go to Toyota they'll insist on getting your VIN anyway before they'll look up the part.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Yours should have a mk1b bumper on it (Although it's not unheard of for the wrong type to be fitted if the front end is repaired after an accident). If you look at the car side on you should notice that the front edge of the bumper slopes backwards slightly towards the top. A mk1a bumper is almost completely vertical.
Last edited by kaiowas on Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Hi I have one of these spare (mk1b) in fantastic condition :D

You have PM.
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
alfiembra

Post by alfiembra »

The obvious difference between the two bars is the lash down eyes, not for towing I hasten to add. The 1a has 2 eyes the 1b only has one.

Alan
MartG

Post by MartG »

crx sam wrote:oh right :-k whats the diff then mate my mk1 is a Freg don't know what that means but hope you can tell me cheers :D

As above, on an F plate yours will be a 1b ( unless someone swapped the bumper for a 1a one at some point ).

Both bars will fit to your car chassis, but the foam insert inside the bumper is moulded to fit the correct bar and won't fit if you get the wrong one
Paul in the Port

Post by Paul in the Port »

I've just done this job (front and rear) on my car too. As said - around £120 +vat from Toyota. You will almost certainly need to replace the retainer bars too that fit to the underside of the bumpers - i had to change both as they were well and truly knackered (thats the proper technical term i believe). I also needed new inner side brackets 52535 & 52536 on the front and the studded bar (52561) on the rear

Front bumper parts http://opc.mr2oc.com/online_parts_catal ... bumper.GIF

and the rear
http://opc.mr2oc.com/online_parts_catal ... bumper.GIF

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”