FINALLY - 720 BHP / 565 LB-FT

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RobPhoboS

Re: FINALLY - 720 BHP / 565 LB-FT

Post by RobPhoboS »

Absolutely fantastic !
For yourself choosing to do such a thing, and for all of the work involved from various people and companies, excellent achievement !

:thumleft:

This should be sold as a package.

Also, from what I could see, it looks like the body work is largely stock or only lightly changed?
PLEASE KEEP IT LIKE THAT !
Far too many dodgy fibreglass things on the road.
It looks fantastic !

:clap:
Warlord

Post by Warlord »

RobPhoboS wrote:Absolutely fantastic !
For yourself choosing to do such a thing, and for all of the work involved from various people and companies, excellent achievement !

:thumleft:

This should be sold as a package.

Also, from what I could see, it looks like the body work is largely stock or only lightly changed?
PLEASE KEEP IT LIKE THAT !
Far too many dodgy fibreglass things on the road.
It looks fantastic !

:clap:

It's the perfect sleeper! :twisted:
V8Killer

Post by V8Killer »

I see your humour aint gone!!! LOL @ 70s fashion - is that the long hair pony tailed up?

4088R :shock: - last i heard it was a TO4Z os something! Try a 850R, its an in-between the 35 and 42.

JJ wrote:

Nope, still hanging onto my youth... My 70's fro is still in fashion !!! :mrgreen: You onto your 4th wife yet ??!! :mrgreen:

Blower - Mines asthmatic compared to yours :mrgreen: Modified Garrett GT3040R ... Just took off a 4088R ... got a little impatient of waiting for it to spool up.... :clown: Hoot to drive though in a straight line !! :thumleft:
M5
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

was quite surprised it was the standard intake manifold
you usually see people getting good gains after switching to an aftermarket one
it certainly proves that it is not a restriction then, just that it flows differently
i wonder if you would have had any better results with the intake manifold from the caldina st215 (the one with 4th gen 3sgte), would have been an even shorter run between cc and tb
dont know why they would have switched from a centre feed to a side feed but i imagine it must have had some sort of flow advantage

http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm-low/Toyota- ... -GTE-50125

fuchsiasteve

Post by fuchsiasteve »

Firstly congrats on the stats. 720 bhp is mental. The torque is insane!

Question on most people lips (myself included) is how much does it cost to get to these sort of performance figures? 8-[
Chris

Post by Chris »

fuchsiasteve wrote:Firstly congrats on the stats. 720 bhp is mental. The torque is insane!

Question on most people lips (myself included) is how much does it cost to get to these sort of performance figures? 8-[

Lots and lots :lol:
fuchsiasteve

Post by fuchsiasteve »

£30K?
Chris

Post by Chris »

Well I am 90bhp behind him and I have remortgaged my house twice :thumleft: I don't know how much Mushim (spl) has spent but I reckon he won't be far off that kind of money.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

It's not an easy exercise that's for sure. 300bhp, not too much money. More than that, then you start spending! Even at 420bhp at the hubs I parted company with around £15K, and that was with an engine that already had forgies in!!

Make no mistake, lots of power is expensive!
:)
fuchsiasteve

Post by fuchsiasteve »

Chris wrote:Well I am 90bhp behind him and I have remortgaged my house twice :thumleft: I don't know how much Mushim (spl) has spent but I reckon he won't be far off that kind of money.

Which makes your car a steal at around £10K if you do decide to sell. :pray:
V8Killer

Post by V8Killer »

Sorry - ain't been here as much as i'd like to over the last few days!

To get to this level its cost me in the region of 30k+ (no re-mortgages yet though). But thats just the start! At this power level, things break quite easily (touchwood nothing has broken yet), but you have to be prepared for it!

The nice thing is the power can be adjusted from between 400BHP and 700BHP so day to day am just using it as 400BHP car.

700BHP is pretty much useless in a MR2 on the road. On track its pretty useless too! On a straight road / drag strip it'll probably come into its own, in-fact its an effin animal (30-130 against my friend's Gallardo, he was so far behind it was embarassing)!!!

If you want big power, the MR2 is not the best car to start with - stick with 400BHP its more then enough.

In comparison my Evo IX will be pushing in the region of 600BHP shortly and all in all its cost me less then 1/2 of what i've spent on the MR2, but the best thing is you can use 90% of the power ALL OF THE TIME!

I hope am not having a go - but am just being realistic!

If your gonna build something like this, think about what you'll be using it for!
M5
Chris

Post by Chris »

fuchsiasteve wrote:
Chris wrote:Well I am 90bhp behind him and I have remortgaged my house twice :thumleft: I don't know how much Mushim (spl) has spent but I reckon he won't be far off that kind of money.

Which makes your car a steal at around £10K if you do decide to sell. :pray:

It is definately up for sale mate. It's doing my head in as the 10k will just pay off the credit card bill :evil:

I'll only have a few grand to get something else with. #-o
fuchsiasteve

Post by fuchsiasteve »

V8Killer wrote:Sorry - ain't been here as much as i'd like to over the last few days!

To get to this level its cost me in the region of 30k+ (no re-mortgages yet though). But thats just the start! At this power level, things break quite easily (touchwood nothing has broken yet), but you have to be prepared for it!

The nice thing is the power can be adjusted from between 400BHP and 700BHP so day to day am just using it as 400BHP car.

700BHP is pretty much useless in a MR2 on the road. On track its pretty useless too! On a straight road / drag strip it'll probably come into its own, in-fact its an effin animal (30-130 against my friend's Gallardo, he was so far behind it was embarassing)!!!

If you want big power, the MR2 is not the best car to start with - stick with 400BHP its more then enough.

In comparison my Evo IX will be pushing in the region of 600BHP shortly and all in all its cost me less then 1/2 of what i've spent on the MR2, but the best thing is you can use 90% of the power ALL OF THE TIME!

If your gonna build something like this, think about what you'll be using it for!

Crackin response :thumleft:
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

V8Killer wrote:Sorry - ain't been here as much as i'd like to over the last few days!

Nice to see you still realising the truths too. 400bhp in an MR2 is perfect (some would argue it's insane and more than enough still!) 700bhp is simply a straight liner as are most 500bhp MR2s.
V8Killer

Post by V8Killer »

mr2nut123 wrote:Nice to see you still realising the truths too. 400bhp in an MR2 is perfect (some would argue it's insane and more than enough still!) 700bhp is simply a straight liner as are most 500bhp MR2s.

I think what you need to realise is technology has moved on so much since the Mk2. Mine is almost a 15 year old car, although still very capable in the right hands...i prefer the work to be done for me nowadays, hence the evo ownership, that or am just getting old and prefer the car to do the work for me :eye: ...

Car is most likely up for sale once i get the few niggly issues sorted!
M5
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

Post by Bobby (aka Shaggar) »

Sad to read that last bit about you selling up soon, but also glad to see that the beast finally got finished. Enjoy buddy!

B
greeny

Post by greeny »

V8Killer wrote:

Car is most likely up for sale once i get the few niggly issues sorted!

How come chap?

I can never understand it when people finish there cars after such a long build process then flog them on straight away :?
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

i would though because it took so much money and took so long to finish, most the owner got bore during the built process, and may be sick of it after x amount yr of ownership,
Bobby (aka Shaggar)

Post by Bobby (aka Shaggar) »

8 years, three major bodywork rebuilds, three engines, four turbos, two gearboxes blah blah blah and still not bored with mine!!!! :wink:
Ja99a

Runs

Post by Ja99a »

Let us know when your going to the strip, would love to see it run...

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”