[Mk2] [Generic] Sound Deadening

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Stretchermunkey

[Mk2] [Generic] Sound Deadening

Post by Stretchermunkey »

Does anyone have any experience of fitting Sound deadening to a Mk2 mr2. Need to reduce engine and road noise.
Have looked at various products from Dynamat and Second skin, all look good but unsure which to use and if I should use more than 1 type.
for example Dynamat for vibration and then put Second Skin Luxury Liner on top to reduce airbourne noise?
Any advice guys
Cheers Steve
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."
Stretchermunkey

sound deadening

Nobody :-k
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."
nick200

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Sound Deadening

Post by nick200 »

i must admit too i find the mr2 a bit noisy.

I dont think you can ever make a noisy car quiet but you can at least improve matters.

I think the clue into where the sound proofing should be applied is where the OEM stuff is. For example the carpet on the bulkhead has a thick layer there, so at least doubling up here and putting dynamat on the bare metal should help.

I have a feeling basic dynamat on the bulkhead section and extra foam inbetween the carpet part will give the most improvment / £ spent.

(Above is my plan..... ie havnt done it yet, so would be interested in how you get on ? )
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

Brownbread :thumleft:

Much better quality than dynamat.

Id start with the rear bulk head and floor, followed by the doors.

Cost you £100 if done properly :thumleft:
Mike N

sound

Post by Mike N »

The OE bulkhead is laminated. Which already helps.

There is black fire retarding material sandwiched between each side of the firewall ie in between both sides.

On my RS200 replica, I've added 1" thick black fireproof insulation to the sides of the rear bulkhead and all across the inside of the cabin side, then added a further carpeted shield over ply.

Sounds a lot of work and it is, but is it worth the effort?

The prevention is lost if the windows are open and noise also comes through the rear screen. A cone filter makes a hell of a high pitch screaming noise on boost or a high revs also.

If you want a quiet MR2 wrap the std airbox, and run a quiet silencer!

Good luck
Mike N
Canopus

Post by Canopus »

I did this to my 92 NA. I removed the center consol to remove the back pannel and used carpet underlay (hair type) and stuffed it into every cranny. You will have to remove both seats to get access to the back panel and give yourself working room.

As all the noisy bits are at the back I only went as far forwards as the back of the seats as I didn't think it worth the trouble

Also worth removing the boot liner and putting additional soundproofing felt there as well as it both reduces resonace and helps to keep the boot a little cooler!

Messy awkward job but it worked okay and definatley reduced the noise by about 10mph if that makes sense.

Hope this helps

G
nick200

Post by nick200 »

Canopus wrote:I did this to my 92 NA. I removed the center consol to remove the back pannel and used carpet underlay (hair type) and stuffed it into every cranny. You will have to remove both seats to get access to the back panel and give yourself working room.

As all the noisy bits are at the back I only went as far forwards as the back of the seats as I didn't think it worth the trouble

Also worth removing the boot liner and putting additional soundproofing felt there as well as it both reduces resonace and helps to keep the boot a little cooler!

Messy awkward job but it worked okay and definatley reduced the noise by about 10mph if that makes sense.

Hope this helps

G

Canopus, interesting to note that it did make a difference. .. oh yes and a -10mph rating does make sense !
Did you take off the side panels at the rear and insert any extra there ? or was it literally just the flat back panel ?
cheers.
Stretchermunkey

Sound deadening

Thanks for the advice,
Going to take all bulkhead trim and the seats out and give it a go.
Will let you know what I end up using and how I get on.
Cheers Steve

Return to “Modifications”