Coolant leak in engine bay. Please help :)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2turbo99

Coolant leak in engine bay. Please help :)

Post by mr2turbo99 »

Hi Guys,

It looks as though i may have a coolant leak in the Engine bay Ive had a look under the car and from what i can see it appears to be dripping down off the passenger side the Sub-frame. It also appears to be coming off the bottom of the gearbox too.

I can see a few puddles on top of the gearbox as well

Any thoughts on where this could be leaking from? Thanks

I cant seem to upload piccys on here :( so check the link to a post i put up on the mr2oc. http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/41/125553.html[/url]
scott64

Re: Coolant leak in engine bay. Please help :)

Post by scott64 »

:( looks like it could be "the pipes from hell" :( have a look at this link mate hope it helps :wink:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=53
eddo

Post by eddo »

may be coming from the coolant temp sensor thing that a few pipes fix to on the passanger side of the head? try and feel if its wet underneath it
mr2turbo99

Post by mr2turbo99 »

Ok will check those out. I thought the pipes from hell were nearest the cabin? The pipes that dissapear underneath the car and run to the front?

If it where those it doesnt explain its getting to the back of the car.
mr2turbo99

Post by mr2turbo99 »

bit of an update. Ive looked as best i can at the hose's that dissapear to the front of the car and it looks pretty dry around there. No evidence of coolant. Ive just topped the car up (took around 500mls). The sensors appear to be dry (coolant ECU sensor and Temp gauge sensor) I believe its definately coming from from around the charcoal canister area.
scott64

Post by scott64 »

not quite sure where you are......have you checked the water pump is ok
JJ

Post by JJ »

Subframe / canister area, check the hose going down the expansion tank.

What happens if theres pressure being exerted in the coolant system, it'll lift the pressure cap ( where you fill it up ) and push the coolant into the expansion tank.... Check to see if its blowing out of the expansion tank... theres a long hose thats comes from it that leads down to the rear subframe area... lift that up where its visible...

Top up your coolant... take your car for a blast and see if its coming from there.... if it is... then theres issues with the coolant being pressurised = head gasket / cracked block....
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

JJ wrote:Subframe / canister area, check the hose going down the expansion tank.

What happens if theres pressure being exerted in the coolant system, it'll lift the pressure cap ( where you fill it up ) and push the coolant into the expansion tank.... Check to see if its blowing out of the expansion tank... theres a long hose thats comes from it that leads down to the rear subframe area... lift that up where its visible...

Top up your coolant... take your car for a blast and see if its coming from there.... if it is... then theres issues with the coolant being pressurised = head gasket / cracked block....

Couldn't it also be as simple as a knackered pressure cap JJ? :-k
mr2turbo99

Post by mr2turbo99 »

Ive had the pleasure of pressure blowing coolant out the expansion tank before lol. That was last year just before i had the HG changed.

Im going to look at lunch time to see if its leaked anymore after topping up. Ive moved the car so if i should see if it leaks when the car is turned off.
scott64

Post by scott64 »

good luck mate...keep us informed :wink:
mr2turbo99

Post by mr2turbo99 »

Ok another update. Ran the car up to temp at lunch and ive spotted the leak! Ive got a fine jet of coolant spraying out towards the back of the bay (fuse box, charcoal canister) The jet appears to be coming from underneath the elbow that house's the ECU temp sensor and Temp sensor. It doesnt look like its coming from the metal elbow itself, rather just underneath it. Any ideas?

* Been looking at the parts list and the bit im refering to is the water by pass hose part. 16261-88361 and the water outlet part. 16304-88385.
TRINDA1664

Post by TRINDA1664 »

What was the final outcome of this? as my car has the same symtoms as your car did.
Thanks

Dan
mr2turbo99

Post by mr2turbo99 »

I had a split hose just under the coolant elbow, it only released water once it was warm/expanded.
BTWW

Post by BTWW »

Mine used to leak from the joint between the 2 halves of the coolant elbow. New o'ring sorted that. Only a couple of pounds from Mr T.
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

BTWW wrote:Mine used to leak from the joint between the 2 halves of the coolant elbow. New o'ring sorted that. Only a couple of pounds from Mr T.

Same. Pretty sure mine had never been undone before and the old o-ring was absolutely toast, hard like a rock. I would reccomend anyone to change it if it has not been done before. Easy to do, no need for a full coolant change.

Definitely a 'when, not if' failure.
Mr2Madlad

Post by Mr2Madlad »

Glad you sorted it (o:
TRINDA1664

Post by TRINDA1664 »

I've found the problem it's a split hose. It's the hose which is under the coolant elbow. It's only about 2 inches look and it's goes to the back of the engine so it has a 90 degree angle. Does anyone have a spare one or a part number?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”