Do I need a new gearbox?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dylbie

Do I need a new gearbox?

Post by dylbie »

Hello everyone. This is my first post in a while due to a series of unfortunate events. Hope everyone is keeping well and keeping the rust at bay :)

Back in June I decided to give my suspension a full refurb with new Koni shocks, springs and superflex bushes. About a day before I bought these my headgasket blew, after fixing this, my MOT was due. Failed on rusty sills. After patching this up and getting it thru the MOT my gearbox decides its gonna start making a dirty noise.

The noise is best described as a sort of whiney rattley but fairly low pitch grinding noise. It happens obviously when the engine is running and I have got underneath the car and it's definately from the gearbox. The noise however completely disappears when the clutch is pressed down. Is this likely to be a clutch release bearing or more likely to be an input shaft bearing inside the gearbox? I'm guessing that a 50 quid gearbox on ebay is more sensible than trying to strip the gearbox to replace the shaft?

I was seriously considering throwing in the towel and have bought a BMW 325tds for the motorway slog. However after not driving the MR for months, I have taken the old girl for a few spins and have been reminded just how much fun these little cars are. So I'm back, and intent on getting the car up to scratch provided that it doesn't turn to rust. ](*,)
un1eash

Re: Do I need a new gearbox?

Post by un1eash »

Does sound like the release bearing. Its not a massive job to remove the gearbox if you have ramps and replace the clutch and bearing.
dopiaza

Post by dopiaza »

Hi,

I'm willing to be corrected but I was always under the impression that release bearing noise would start/increase as you pressed the clutch pedal. The bearing should not be rotating when the clutch is fully engaged and your foot's off the pedal. I've had many high mileage cars and without exception they have all had some noise from the gearbox in neutral which drops away as the clutch pedal is pushed down. I'd assume this is the input shaft bearing?

As for what to do about it - nothing would be my recommendation, is it causing any problems or is it just annoying because you know it's there? I've driven cars for 100k miles after I've heard that noise and it's never resulted in any failure.

No guarantees that a £50 gearbox on ebay would be any better, my first Mk1 made that noise at 85k. You'd need to 'audition' a gearbox on a running engine to decide if it was any better than yours.

Maybe check gearbox oil level?

HTH
Graham
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

Dylbie, not going to comment on what it may or may not be, but if you need a gearbox, I have one off a 136K miler MK1a. No fifth gear pop out and the car pulled really well when I had it. Would be willing to sort something out to get it to you - may be across that way soon in any event. Would be cheap and if it doesn't solve the problem and want to give it back then its ok - no charge. Worth a shot if you want to sort something out.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”