[Mk2] [Turbo] ARGHHHH Blocks cracked AGAIN!! Dont know what to do.....

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

What would you do??

Thick walled Rev 4 block
7%
Thick walled Rev 4 block
7%
5s block
47%
Give up..
40%

Total votes: 15

bobhatton

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] ARGHHHH Blocks cracked AGAIN!! Dont know what to do.....

Post by bobhatton »

We have just fitted a REV 3 sump and oil pump to a REV 2 block. Just need to drill and tap some holes and it all works.

Bob
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

JJ wrote:
Dale_V wrote:5SFE 2.2 block... cant these just be pulled from a UK 2.2 camry? plenty about... why the need to get one from the USA? I must have overlooked something

Yeah.. I thought this moons ago dale... but not sure if its the same unit ??!! I looked into this when I was trying to get a crank... and try and shimmy it into the 3S block... doable if I remember machining down the rod journals ....it would make the 3S a true 2.2 with pistons... but same old issue... chewing away the meat and making the whole thing weaker... good for pub talk, bad for pushing high power...

Only factor with the 2.2 block looking at it from a technical point of view, its based off the old design of the rev 1/2's ... no revised baffled sump, no revised oil feeds etc...which was the main improvement of the rev 3+ blocks...

^^^ Just being anal here btw....I'd still use an old 60's Chevvy LS1 engine !! :mrgreen:

These 2.2 blocks have oil spray rail in them ??

Im pretty certain its the same unit, a bloke I know has just done a monster mr2 build for someone using a 2.2 UK camry, pretty much as you just said there... ;)
JJ

Post by JJ »

Even doing a search on ebay on 2.2 camry brings 5SFE in the titles.... :thumleft:

Why is there nobody turbocharging these V6's ??!! If I had the time ... I would !! :mrgreen: Dont hear about them falling apart !!

Just checked autotrader... theres a couple of 99 2.2's... £1K.... Free car with it too !! :mrgreen:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Chris

Post by Chris »

Jonno started doing a twin turbo V6 with GT30's, No idea what happened with it? Since he got M5's and high flyer job, no one hears from him.....Maybe that's what I need :lol:
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

JJ wrote:Even doing a search on ebay on 2.2 camry brings 5SFE in the titles.... :thumleft:

Why is there nobody turbocharging these V6's ??!! If I had the time ... I would !! :mrgreen: Dont hear about them falling apart !!

Just checked autotrader... theres a couple of 99 2.2's... £1K.... Free car with it too !! :mrgreen:

another project for you JJ... come and turbocharge my v6 1mz camry?? now that I would love! 8)
JJ

Post by JJ »

Chris wrote:Jonno started doing a twin turbo V6 with GT30's, No idea what happened with it? Since he got M5's and high flyer job, no one hears from him.....Maybe that's what I need :lol:

Project was scrapped... I noticed he just dissapeared... even looked for his madcat web.. and thats shutdown too....had a few hoots with him at donny.... I guess some of us still hang around like 5hoite to a blanket... even with TVR ownership :mrgreen: I'm bored of the BMW, I'm itching for an RS6 right now :mrgreen:

another project for you JJ... come and turbocharge my v6 1mz camry??

Lol... I'm getting old and twisty now.. I'd rather pay people to work on my own car these days... go figure... !! I can do it if I put my mind to it !! :mrgreen:

I wanted to supercharge the Accord V6 Vtec.. and thought.. whats the point !! :clown:
JJ

Post by JJ »

bobhatton wrote:We have just fitted a REV 3 sump and oil pump to a REV 2 block. Just need to drill and tap some holes and it all works.

Bob

I'm impressed Bob.... :thumleft: I knew it wans't a million miles out.. but still unecessary hassle when trying to get a speedy turnaround... :D
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

You can use the 5sfe crank and turn the journals down for the 3s rods, you need to buy pistons with the gudgeon pin located differently tho, cp make them.

Im pretty sure you can offset grind the 3s crank down and use custom rods to get 2.2 aswell.

I heard the V6s dont make any power with a turbo bolted on, I think the heads are pretty poor for flowing but i could be wrong there.

The 5sfe do not have the oil squirters and i know most people do not fit them when biuilding the engines, but im sure you can tap the block and have them fitted which i think i would like to do, keeps the pistons cooler.

You also need to tap it for knock sensor and alternator bracket etc, its pretty straight forward if you have the tools and money.

Graeme
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Why do 3s rods have to be used, what is wrong in using the 5sfe ones?

Bob
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

You can use the 5s ones, i think it just works out cheaper to run 3s ones even after paying for machining the rods, they are the same length but the 5sfe rods are 4mm larger journal.

Graeme
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

^Trickster^ wrote:....
I heard the V6s dont make any power with a turbo bolted on, I think the heads are pretty poor for flowing but i could be wrong there.
Graeme

nah that's not right. 3vz-turbo on twobrutal was making 330 at the wheels with .7bar which is a good 150 up on std. Brad Beddel got 300 from the TRD supercharger at 9psi so they do respond to forced induction
Dangerous

Post by Dangerous »

:D Good news everyone she'll live again!!! :D

Ive found a good thick wall rev5 block so i can now afford to rebuild once more!!!!YEAH!!!!

I have also found that the wastegate was sticking open all the time (when applying pressure it gets stuck so boost will be escaping around and out the piston then out the screamer pipe... so that would explain the loss of power tooo!!!

this is also now being rebushed to work properly!! so hopefully i can turn the boost down and still get relativly the same amount of power!!!

Thanks for of the advice and help you guys are ace..... 8) :thumleft: :clap:
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Use a thick head gasket and get the compression ratio down then you will be able the get the timing in the right place.

Bob
JJ

Post by JJ »

Incidently, anyone know how much are we looking at for a rev 5 block ??!!
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

JJ wrote:Incidently, anyone know how much are we looking at for a rev 5 block ??!!

i asked at Toyota a couple of years ago and new block and 4 new pistons (wont split) was around £800 cant remember if vat was included though
Chris

Post by Chris »

Just spoke to JJ...Now a grand plus VAT complete. They used to sell the block seperate. It was 700ish. I'm gunna check it again tomorrow as well.
greeny

Post by greeny »

Chris wrote:Just spoke to JJ...Now a grand plus VAT complete. They used to sell the block seperate. It was 700ish. I'm gunna check it again tomorrow as well.

When i enquired bout a year ago, they'd only sell the short block and it was circa £800
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

is there any sort of age identification in the engine numbers?
JJ

Post by JJ »

Quigonjay wrote:is there any sort of age identification in the engine numbers?

I guess if you had access to the documents in the manufacturing process, you could nail it to the date !

It seems we're all being entertained by cracked blocks...

This is what I did in 2005....

And surprise surprise.... I was struggling to keep the coolant in the engine, pulled the head off friday...and look at that.....

Same cylinder !! Looks like I'm either getting a brand spanker block or get one of these resleeved to take some punishment....

These blocks dont seem to like regular 500 bhp... pfffft....

](*,)
MarkP.

Post by MarkP. »

New blocks are £928inc vat,thats with 10% discount.Thats for a Rev3 so i imagine Rev5's will be the same.

Return to “Mechanical”