My Sweete MR2 project

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Sweete

My Sweete MR2 project

Post by Sweete »

I started off in 2003 with a standard 1992 Toyota MR2 2.0 16v Gti T-Bar. The car was very tatty when I first got him so spent a lot of time on the body work and got him to this stage

I then decided i wanted to update the look of the car so along came a set of 17's deeper lip spoiler and I colour coded the side strips

I then got the oportunity to take the car off the road for a time so decided to change the car slightly. After looking round I decided i wanted some side skirts change the front and rear bumpers and a respray. After some research I found that this wasn't going to be cheap. Being quite handy myself I decided to cut down on the costs by doing most of the work myself so i set to stripping the car down.

All parts that could be removed were

I then purchased a turbo engine lid which looked far better than the original one.

I wanted to bulk the rear end out a bit so kept the original bumper and added some Phoenix rear spats which weren't the best fit so I blended them into the bumper.

I also filled the aerial hole to give the spoiler a smoother look.

I struggled finding some side skirts that kept the original side vent so I bought some bomex skirts cut the bar out of my original vents and blended it into the bomex skirts.

These were then sanded down and mesh fitted

Then came the hardest part which was putting a sander to the lovely glossy paintwork but it had to be done in preperation for painting, also all dents and imperfections were filled and smoothed.

I wanted to update the rear end but always liked the shape of the lights
so added a smooth rear panel

Next was the bonnet I wanted a Carbon Fibre vented bonnet but just couldn't afford one so instead bought a fibreglass vent and cut my original bonnet and fitted and blended the vent. The result was brilliant

While at a show I saw a car with lambo doors and really fancied them, had a search round and was going to cost £2000 owch!! Until I found a set of hinges in Japan for a quarter of the price and decided to have a
bash and fit them myself.
First of all the front wings came off

Then the door was taped in place and the original hinge removed

The new Lambo hinge was then fitted

And up she went!!

After weeks of minor odjustments to get them lined up with the wings without catching, they were done.

The wiring loom for the door was then extended so it sould reach with the door fully up.

Then off to the bodyshop for a few weeks for a new coat!

I wanted a dark metalic grey and the bodyshop suggested adding a flick of gold and red to the paint which looks fantastic in the sunlight. Here he is back home ready to be put back together.

I managed to get the car back on the road just in time for my wedding

Then just this year I stripped the wheels down sprayed them black and polished the lips.

Treat myself to some new Bilsteins with TRD inserts and 40mm lowering springs and gave the car a much better stance.

So here he is now finished.

Hope you've enjoyed
:thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: My Sweete MR2 project

Post by Martin F »

Some good choices there, nice car :thumleft:
Amelio

Post by Amelio »

You certainly are handy!

Great project and like the finished look :thumleft:
BiGWiLlYsTyLe

Post by BiGWiLlYsTyLe »

Some good work there.Liking the colour of the car!!

What are your next plans?? :-k
Sweete

Post by Sweete »

Thanks Guys :thumleft: , luckily I was quite fortunate that i was in no rush to finish the car so i was able to take my time making sure I chose parts that complimented the car and didn't change the classic MR2 look. Until i went daft and put the Lambo doors on!! :oops:

I have to say I wouldn't do them again the amount of hassle they cause getting lined up without catching the wings.
Sweete

Post by Sweete »

Body wise i'm quite happy, just the engine i'm after changing as it's just an N/A problem is the engine is running so well would be a shame to get rid. Ideally would like to go V6. But will have to save up!!

Saw your car Big Will, parked down Whesoe Rd the other weekend stunning looking MR2 you have the wheels look great. I live in Richmond so not far from you will have to knock heads some time. :thumleft:
scott64

Post by scott64 »

8) looks great :thumleft: a very nice job :D
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

well done :clap: :clap: the end result looks great :mrgreen:
1993 GT TURBO
JJ

Post by JJ »

:thumleft: Been busy I see ! :mrgreen:

Got married as well ???!! :shock: Well done ! :D
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

Great work - awesome looking car !

Any more pics on how you done the Border vent ? Would you be interested in getting a few quid to do one for me ? :)

I know I'd like a Border vent but not after the weight saving or look of c/f - plus I also can't afford one ! :)
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Looks good Sweete and as has been said well done on the amount of work you've put in yourself. Personally I think I liked it best with just the 17s, the new splitter and colour coded standard body but hey.... we're all different right?
Spidey have a look for a thread by nofearmadbiker (I think). He recently did the copy Border bonnet using an e-bay vent and put up quite a detailed thread with pics showing just how he did it.

R.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

HighwayStar wrote:
Spidey have a look for a thread by nofearmadbiker (I think). He recently did the copy Border bonnet using an e-bay vent and put up quite a detailed thread with pics showing just how he did it.

R.

I'll have a look, ta :)
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Just had a fleeting remembrance which suggests that in fact nofearmadbiker wasn't actually the author of the post but I'm sure it was he who posted the border replica instructions. Maybe send him a PM and ask him to point out which thread it was? Something I plan to do myself once I've paid for all the suspension work, full service and MOT stuff I've just had done...

R.
BiGWiLlYsTyLe

Post by BiGWiLlYsTyLe »

Sweete wrote:Body wise i'm quite happy, just the engine i'm after changing as it's just an N/A problem is the engine is running so well would be a shame to get rid. Ideally would like to go V6. But will have to save up!!

Saw your car Big Will, parked down Whesoe Rd the other weekend stunning looking MR2 you have the wheels look great. I live in Richmond so not far from you will have to knock heads some time. :thumleft:

Ah that was you!!!

I knew i recognised your car,i was looking at a car with my future bro in law.

Cheers for the compliment mate,your car was looking really smart,defo love the colour more in real life!

Will have to meet up yeah,i go through Richmond now and then for walks,cinema etc..... \:D/
Sweete

Post by Sweete »

Spidey wrote:Great work - awesome looking car !

Any more pics on how you done the Border vent ? Would you be interested in getting a few quid to do one for me ? :)

I know I'd like a Border vent but not after the weight saving or look of c/f - plus I also can't afford one ! :)

Hi Mate, not sure if i would fancy doing someone elses as mine isn't the perfect job close up and wouldn't want to willy up someones original bonnet!! Also it took me months to do! Would offer any advice i could to you though matey. Will try & dig out any pics i have of the process if I can find them.

Cheers to everyone who has comented it has been a long struggle but really liking the car how he looks now. Saying that Highwaystar is right in a way it did look good standard I just fancied a change only wanted to do subtle changes but got a bit carried away!! :-s
BiGWiLlYsTyLe

Post by BiGWiLlYsTyLe »

Either way it looks good mate but i think it looks better the way it is now :thumleft:
Sweete

Post by Sweete »

Cheers Will,

There are a few of us that meet up every now and again and all went to JAE last weekend. Do you want me to add you to the email list??

Youv'e probably seen a few of them at the house down North Road Red with black roof and a black tin top?
BiGWiLlYsTyLe

Post by BiGWiLlYsTyLe »

Sweete wrote:Cheers Will,

There are a few of us that meet up every now and again and all went to JAE last weekend. Do you want me to add you to the email list??

Youv'e probably seen a few of them at the house down North Road Red with black roof and a black tin top?

yeah bud,i think i might already be on that list and Graeme and Gayle E-mail me when there is a meet just most of the time im busy or working!!

Add me anyway bud just incase its a different list,cheers :thumleft:

Return to “Member Profiles”