Lost fixing nut for rear external pillar trim?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Grendel

Lost fixing nut for rear external pillar trim?

Post by Grendel »

I noticed the lower two screws that attached the rear trim to the car appeared to be sticking out and the trim was loose so I undid them to see if they had cross threaded and as I tried to put them back in the nut you screw them into fell through (into the wing I guess?) So now it is only attached with the two at the top the 3rd one still sticking out but slightly more secure but now totally missing the bottom screw. #-o

How can I repair/fix this problem please since silver gaffer tape isn’t very flattering to the car?
DNOS808

Pillar trim

Post by DNOS808 »

The threaded part that has gone missing is a brass insert that is moulded into the pillar trim itself. All you need to do is unscrew the pillar trim and replace it or possibly try to epoxy the threaded inset back into the trim.
kaiowas

Re: Lost fixing nut for rear external pillar trim?

Post by kaiowas »

It's very common for the trim to split around the insert. If you want to sort it you'll need to take the trim off completely (Which will require removing the centre piece above the clear visor as well, which means removing the metal strip at the rear of the headlining inside the car to get the fixings holding it in) then you'll be able to see what is what and get the glue out to try and patch things together, the brass insert will also probably fall out onto the floor as there isn't any way it will have been able to fall into the wing from there.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

What can i do if the brass thread is missing?
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Can try to bodge a suitable sized nut in it's place I guess. If not you may have to replace the trim.

At one time twosrus.com sold some sort of clip to assist with repairing these although they no longer list them, I think I've got some at home but I can't really remember how they worked, will try and remember to have a look when I get home.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”