[Mk2] [Turbo] My rev3 tubby and mod list

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

scotty1982

[Mk2] [Turbo] My rev3 tubby and mod list

Post by scotty1982 »

Thought i would post in here as more people seem to look in here!

So picked my car up yesterday and had a long drive home which was very nice indeed. The car drove perfectly with the temp sitting just under half way and never rising past that even whilst sitting in traffic on the M25.

There are a few things that need sorting out but i was aware of them when i bought it and as i got it for a fantastic £1,471.00 i cant complain!

There is a knocking coming from the front left when you go over bumps so that is no.1 on the list. There is also a juddering under braking which could be warped discs OR could be connected to the knocking. To my delight the ODO is still reading in kph and is showing 116,000 so is roughly 73,000 miles! FANTASTIC! Someone has put a mph plate over the speedo but no converter so the speedo only goes upto 115mph. So another job is to fit proper 180mph clocks a converter so it all reads and counts on the ODO in miles and convert the ODO into miles so it reads miles on miles and not miles on km.

The wheels are lovely but need a referb. they are 18" OZ wheels which are staggered fitment with 225's on the front and 255's on the rear. They have a polished lip which i want to keep but i want to get the spokes done in white which i think will look fantastic.

That is the first part of my list of things to do

HERE IT IS

nikaiyo

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] My rev3 tubby and mod list

Post by nikaiyo »

Nice Looking car you got there :D

The knocking over bumps is almost certainly your drop links :thumleft:

Interesting finish to the Recaros :thumleft:
Jim Galbally

Post by Jim Galbally »

imho fit UK spec 160mph clocks, they fit straight in

as for your delimiter and remap needs, have a look at www.motorsport-developments.co.uk
scotty1982

Post by scotty1982 »

Jim Galbally wrote:imho fit UK spec 160mph clocks, they fit straight in

as for your delimiter and remap needs, have a look at www.motorsport-developments.co.uk

Im sorry i dont understand!

I just want to fit some lockwood white dials and the kph/mph converter/de-limiter so the clock shows over 115mph and the odo reads in miles not km

Why do i need a remap? the car has been in the uk for years!
Jim Galbally

Post by Jim Galbally »

yes you can do as you intend and then have a 180mph speedo, but it would be a bit silly with a car not capable of acheiving that speed and always sitting in the 1st 1/4 of the dial.

whats really really easy is to just slap a UK speedo in there, 160mph suits the car's top speed perfectly, is zero hassle, and factory finish. you can also put a 140mph speedo in there, but the car when delimited and tuned can acheive this speed (i wouldnt reccomend it tho MR2s are scary above 120... lol)

motorsport-developements can provide either a delimiter or delimiter/convertor off the shelf, be weary of 15quid ebay jobs.

the reason i said was a remap was for more power, the rev3 should be safe to drive on UK super-unleaded fuel
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

scotty1982 wrote:

Lol you dont need a remap, mainly because the stock ECU is not mapable :thumleft:
scotty1982

Post by scotty1982 »

Jim Galbally wrote:yes you can do as you intend and then have a 180mph speedo, but it would be a bit silly with a car not capable of acheiving that speed and always sitting in the 1st 1/4 of the dial.

whats really really easy is to just slap a UK speedo in there, 160mph suits the car's top speed perfectly, is zero hassle, and factory finish. you can also put a 140mph speedo in there, but the car when delimited and tuned can acheive this speed (i wouldnt reccomend it tho MR2s are scary above 120... lol)

motorsport-developements can provide either a delimiter or delimiter/convertor off the shelf, be weary of 15quid ebay jobs.

the reason i said was a remap was for more power, the rev3 should be safe to drive on UK super-unleaded fuel

I had my old uk rev2 mr2 upto 140mph. And have ridden my bike at over 170mph, just depends how big your balls are i guess! :D

From what i have seen a lot of people put 180mph clocks onto their 2's and i thought i had read somewhere that if it is a rev2 or 3 onwards you will need the 180 clocks. Each to their own i guess
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

Why go to the hassle and expense of getting 160mph clocks. Just convert and delimit the 180mph ones.
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
samg1988

Post by samg1988 »

Good effort! I would have bid on this if I had money at the time. Love the stuff you can get on ebay sometimes.
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

nikaiyo wrote:
scotty1982 wrote:

Lol you dont need a remap, mainly because the stock ECU is not mapable :thumleft:

Exactly. You would need to pay out for a whole new ECU.
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

As said, knocking could be drop links, could also be topmounts, balljoints, or something loose :shock:

Jack the car up, lever a plank of wood under the wheel and feel around to see what's got play.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

nikaiyo wrote:The knocking over bumps is almost certainly your drop links :thumleft:

No.

Leon wrote:could also be topmounts, balljoints

Yes.

I have a TRD ARB and bushes and new (Toyota) drop links but I'm still getting a knocking at low speeds from the front left (I have noticed that there seems to be a lot of people suffering from the exact same problem?) wheel.

No free play whatsoever in the balljoint so I'm going to go with the topmounts next.
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

My money's on play in the shocker itself 8)
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Yeh the shock can make lots of noise if knackered. If you lever the wheel and put your fingers near the upper spring cup, you should feel movement if it's the top mount.

Return to “Modifications”