kmph/mhp Dials conversion

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

willfinch36

kmph/mhp Dials conversion

Post by willfinch36 »

Ive bought a MR2 GTS ( jap import) and the clocks are in KMH, any easy way I can get some new clocks/dials for it so it reads in mph?

Thanks

Will
Moo

Re: kmph/mhp Dials conversion

Post by Moo »

If rev2 + you need some 180mph dial faces and a converter chip or clamping delimeter that converts the speed signal from kph to mph :thumleft:
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

its a rev4, also my car is limited to 113mph! any idea how i change the clocks and remove the limiter? cheers will
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

Moo

Post by Moo »

That one will do the job ok. Basically it converts the speed signal that comes from the gearbox from kph to mph. This will also move the speed limit from 180kph to 180mph.

The only downside about most of the chip type coverters is that they mess with your power steering. Instead of turning off at 50mph as it should, the power steering will turn off at 80mph once the converter is fitted. This can make the steering feel light at motorway speeds.

One way around this is to use a clamping delimeter which sorts out the speed signal to mph, gets rid of the speed limit and also sorts the power steering so it turns off at the right speed.

Twosrus used to sell them but I can't give you a direct link as their website seems to be down at the moment. If they still sell them I'd say the clamping delimeter is a better option. I upgraded to one after using the converter chip and it does a better job as well as being easier to fit as there's no wire cutting involved to fit the clamping delimeter which isn't the case with the converter chip.

www.twosrus.co.uk

You'll need a set of mph dial faces to go over the top of the original faces, either 160 or 180 mph. Most tubby owners use the 180mph faces afaik. Speedhut dials are pretty good, there's a lot of owners on here have them, myself included. You can customize them to your taste, have el-glo or reverse el-glo and they look sweet at night :thumleft: Just don't take off the needles when you fit the new dial faces, it will throw all the readings out and is a pain to put right!

http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge_di ... Toyota.htm
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

ok - I didnt think mine had power steering at all!?
isnt 99.99 quite a lot for just some dials?! I dont really care about fancy colours and stuff I just wanna read my speedo in MPH!
scotty1982

Post by scotty1982 »

Moo wrote:That one will do the job ok. Basically it converts the speed signal that comes from the gearbox from kph to mph. This will also move the speed limit from 180kph to 180mph.

The only downside about most of the chip type coverters is that they mess with your power steering. Instead of turning off at 50mph as it should, the power steering will turn off at 80mph once the converter is fitted. This can make the steering feel light at motorway speeds.

One way around this is to use a clamping delimeter which sorts out the speed signal to mph, gets rid of the speed limit and also sorts the power steering so it turns off at the right speed.

Twosrus used to sell them but I can't give you a direct link as their website seems to be down at the moment. If they still sell them I'd say the clamping delimeter is a better option. I upgraded to one after using the converter chip and it does a better job as well as being easier to fit as there's no wire cutting involved to fit the clamping delimeter which isn't the case with the converter chip.

www.twosrus.co.uk

You'll need a set of mph dial faces to go over the top of the original faces, either 160 or 180 mph. Most tubby owners use the 180mph faces afaik. Speedhut dials are pretty good, there's a lot of owners on here have them, myself included. You can customize them to your taste, have el-glo or reverse el-glo and they look sweet at night :thumleft: Just don't take off the needles when you fit the new dial faces, it will throw all the readings out and is a pain to put right!

http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge_di ... Toyota.htm

How hard is it to do without taking the needles off then? And do you take the original black face off or just stick the white face over it?
Moo

Post by Moo »

If we're talking Speedhut dials you can slide them under the needles easily enough without having to take the needles off. I just stuck my white dials over the top of the original ones (you get sticky pads with the new dials) and the original ones don't show through or anything.
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

could i just have a link to the bits that i need and i will buy them! thanks!
marc GT Turbo

Post by marc GT Turbo »

Moo wrote:If we're talking Speedhut dials you can slide them under the needles easily enough without having to take the needles off. I just stuck my white dials over the top of the original ones (you get sticky pads with the new dials) and the original ones don't show through or anything.

i did this the first time i fitted lockwood white dials ! i stuck them over the top of the originals ......... but lessons learnt from doing this . they hardly light up at night so its best to remove the originals to have a lit set of clocks at night time :thumleft:
1993 GT TURBO
Moo

Post by Moo »

Speedhut dials don't need the stock dash illumination as the dial faces themselves light up. As you say though, definitely remove the original dial faces if fitting Lockwood dials as these do use the exisitng dash illumination.

Willfinch36, sorry but I don't know where you can get standard dial faces from.
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

1) is it possible to just de-limit the car FULL STOP, so the speedo still reads in KMPH and the milage is still clocked up in kilometers?

2) Is it possible to have the same dials on the dash that say kmph but actually still read in MPH? - say i install this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPEEDO-CONVERTER- ... 286.c0.m14

and leave the origianl dials (kmph) installed what would happen then?

Because if i do change it, then my car will go from reaing 78,000km and then start clocking the distance up in miles? how do i get around all of this? I mean can I change the digits on my clock (as if you are clocking it sort of thing) I dont want to lie, i just dont want my car reading in miles after 78,000, if i have no other way around it then I suppose it will just have to do...

Any ideas....

Thanks Will.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”