[Mk2] [Turbo] Any pics/how-tos on changing gearbox oil????

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Martian_333

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Any pics/how-tos on changing gearbox oil????

Post by Martian_333 »

Hmm I have a rev 1 so dont think its got LSD :-k , I know this is a stuipd question but bear with me but what parts do I need to fit a rev 3+ gearbox?

I saw some guy on here went round the old scrap yards and came across a JUN flywheel (nice!) and rev 3 gearbox, is it worth taking a look? obviously the condition is not always going to be known but might be a cheap alternative?

I think the rogue ones are completely refurbed, so i guess thats the last resort.

Bloomin typical this happens now just as i thought I could finally spend some cash on the engine itself! ](*,) :D

You fellas are a great help, thanks very much for helping me out - I'm new to all of this (including modding which I am really enjoying btw) but picking things up quickly (and enjoying doing the work myself where I can!) so its much appreciated.
Martian_333

Post by Martian_333 »

Baker wrote:guys, seriously recommend this for gearbox oil changes:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Draper-Oil-Suctio ... 286.c0.m14

makes it so much easier. can be used for other stuff too, i use it now for lawnmower oil changes! :D

I'm likeing that alot, sold! :thumleft:
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Hmm I have a rev 1 so dont think its got LSD , I know this is a stuipd question but bear with me but what parts do I need to fit a rev 3+ gearbox?

I was lucky enough to upgrade from a rev2 that did have LSD, so this may not be completely correct, but I reckon you'd need:

1. Rev 3 Gearbox
2. LSD driveshafts
3. LSD Hubs (the wheel end of the driveshaft)

I saw some guy on here went round the old scrap yards and came across a JUN flywheel (nice!) and rev 3 gearbox, is it worth taking a look? obviously the condition is not always going to be known but might be a cheap alternative?

Always worth a look. You get 'some' guarantee from most scrappies (30 day I think). And you might find a bargain :thumleft:
I think the rogue ones are completely refurbed, so i guess thats the last resort.

Bloomin typical this happens now just as i thought I could finally spend some cash on the engine itself!

That Sod Murphy, he's always about! Still, loo on the bright side, at least you haven't spent all your cash on engine mods only to find out the wheels can't be driven :wink:

You fellas are a great help, thanks very much for helping me out - I'm new to all of this (including modding which I am really enjoying btw) but picking things up quickly (and enjoying doing the work myself where I can!) so its much appreciated.

No probs, I've only just got back into 2's again myself so have been asking loads of the good IMOC folk recently. It's good to be able to give something back. Modding in infectious, just ask my missus....... be prepared to have no cash for anything else though ](*,)

Good luck :thumleft:
Martian_333

Post by Martian_333 »

Thanks fella, big help and much appreciated!

I'm really hoping its just oil but its crunching sometimes in 5th now, however it is not the clutch, going to change the oil next weekend now as didnt get chance this weekend - wont be driving it much in between.

Everytime I think I finally can spend some cash on the engine, something else breaks! :(
Martian_333

Post by Martian_333 »

Ok this didnt work, it was/is the gearbox as I found out on the A509 near Milton Keynes, just been towed home by the RAC!!

I now need a new gearbox, ****!
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

Sorry to bring up this thread but whats so good about this mt 90 gearbox oil.

Also my rev2 which has a new gearbox whines when I lift off the gas,could this be the diff,and can it be changed without the gearbox and does the diff use the same oil as the gearbox,ie its one unit.

Thanky Paul :thumleft:
Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

I believe the diff is a sealed unit (i.e. you don't change the oil).

The 'thing' with MT-90 is (again, I believe) is it's viscosity. Not sure why it makes a difference but loads of people recommend it. As mentioned previously, if the gearbox is on it's way out, no oil will stop it.

Not sure about the whining :thumleft:

Return to “Mechanical”