what order to do a rev 3 conversion?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Dan88

what order to do a rev 3 conversion?

Post by Dan88 »

i have a rev 2 turbo, and want more power that is relatively cheap and easy to do (not after huge power gains). So ive decided on a rev 3 conversion.

Now the mods i have already are decat, nur spec, apexi filter, EBC, FCD, Rev 3 MLS Headgasket.

Am i right in thinking i need a CT20, rev 3 injectors (and rail?), rev 3 ecu, upgraded intercooler.

im going to do it progressively as i cannot afford it all at once, so what order can i do it in with the car still running ok? i was thinking:

1. CT20b
2. Intercooler
3. ECU
4. Injectors

If im miles off please let me know, also if ive missed anything

thanks in advance, Dan
Last edited by Dan88 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobCrezz

Re: what order to do a rev 3 conversion?

Post by RobCrezz »

rev 3 igniter, rev3 MAP and MAT sensors I think too.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

dont bother going rev3 ecu conversion, go straight to an ems ecu, like link or powerFC.
(after the ct20b and IC upgrades)

note the powerFC will still require rev3 parts, so that would have to be done exactly the same time as the powerFC goes on.
Martian_333

Post by Martian_333 »

When you guys say uprated IC, what can you get away with? I've tried to get hold of the Berk but its out of stock pretty much everywhere, that leaves the expensive Greddy and XS Power? (if we arent including a chargecooler/rogue)
Baker

Post by Baker »

Best order IMO is:

place current car on autotrader
sell car
buy rev3.

so much to do to update to a rev 3, if its to be done properly.
Dan88

Post by Dan88 »

thats not an option, ive spent so long with this car and lots of money getting new HG done, water pump, cambelt etc, it seems a waste to sell my pride and joy and get another unknown 2 where i could have the same frustrating troubles again.

if its too hard to do i may just slap a ct20 and IC on and leave it at that, as said im not after huge power, just want a bit more than its got now 8-[
Martian_333

Post by Martian_333 »

If I were you mate I'd go down the standalone ECU route, thats what I'm doing after asking this very question, but first I'm trying to replace most of the things that are/prone to/ going wrong, uprating components where I can
Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

Maintaining the rev2 engine with the rev3 upgrades is one of the best options for huge power gains. Rite?

Most likely gonna be my next project.
chron

Post by chron »

managed to get all my bits to change from afm to speed density (rev3) for around £150 from different people, so if you can get the parts cheap enough, its a great mod to do. imo :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”