Changed to Toyo T1-R's and now my car handles like ****

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ashley

Re: Changed to Toyo T1-R's and now my car handles like ****

Post by ashley »

mr2nut123 wrote:Put it this way, Xxxx knows what he's doing with tyres for dragging and he agrees with me that the Nankangs are a very grippy tyre and outperform most of the expensive tyres praised on here and will last a lot longer.

Good for drag or good for cornering hard or both?

Don't worry- I hear you and will look into em, thanks mate :thumleft:
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

if you want good value high performance tyres then look no further than Marangoni. We have run them on our road cars for the last 4 years and that includes the 600 plus BHP build I had when the Drag MR2 was my daily run about. We have done low sub 12 runs on them and also 169 mph on a standing kilometer. They are excellent in the wet and dry and come with a lifetime warranty. See the affilliates section or visit www.centurymotorsport.com/marangoni-tyres for more information.

Nathan
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
ashley

Post by ashley »

They look interesting Nathan- cheers :thumleft:

I dont see stock sizes there- are they available, and if not what sizes would you recomend on 15's?
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

ashman wrote:
mr2nut123 wrote:Put it this way, Xxxx knows what he's doing with tyres for dragging and he agrees with me that the Nankangs are a very grippy tyre and outperform most of the expensive tyres praised on here and will last a lot longer.

Good for drag or good for cornering hard or both?

Don't worry- I hear you and will look into em, thanks mate :thumleft:

Well he clearly uses them for drag but i've used them on the road and running around 270-280bhp and they've been excellent. I will be honest in saying that in the wet they can let go but that's the same with any tyre in a heavily rear biased car like this.
duvvaduvva

Post by duvvaduvva »

Hi Guys,
I have already posted about the T1r's and as I said they were horrific.I had 245/40/17 on the rear.The guys then changed them for 235/40/17 against my advice,thinking the 245 maybe too wide.This made no difference what so ever.I can't comment on doing thousands of miles on them to bed them in as I don't have enough summer to wait.
I now have r888's on the front and rear,245/40/17 and 215/45/17 which is what I asked the tyre centre to fit in the first place,which they couldn't get untill now.
WOW,all the confidence and handling has come back immediately.In fact the car now is better than it has ever been.I can't tell you how good they are.
I know they are expensive and won't last five minutes,but they are awsome.
However,I will not be using them when the weather gets cold as you are warned against doing that.
I guess some people's set up will get on with the T1r's better than mine but I will never put them on again.I think the side walls are too soft.
Cheers,I hope this helps.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Just be careful in the wet ;)
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Post by afennell »

I have just had a new set of t1r on the rear after loving my last set.
the car now feels like it has a flat tyre when turning in. Don’t know what to do. I cant afford to replace them and cant see why the tyre show would swop them over for free.
ashley

Post by ashley »

afennell wrote:the car now feels like it has a flat tyre when turning in

That's the feeling I'm talking about...

I'm about 95% certain I'm gonna swap them off- given them more than enough time to come good and losing patience fast. Given how bad the tyre walls flex when I push the car from the side I dont really think the issue is high tread levels, just pansy side walls! [-(

Hope you get it sorted mate- they are horrible to corner with :eye:
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Post by afennell »

Let me know what you do, have your garage said they will swop them over?

I may pop back down to mine and see what they have to say. I now have no confidence when turning. I'm in the same boat as you as its only a weekend car so a few thousand miles is going to take me till next year. ](*,)
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Post by afennell »

Century Motorsport wrote:if you want good value high performance tyres then look no further than Marangoni. We have run them on our road cars for the last 4 years and that includes the 600 plus BHP build I had when the Drag MR2 was my daily run about. We have done low sub 12 runs on them and also 169 mph on a standing kilometer. They are excellent in the wet and dry and come with a lifetime warranty. See the affilliates section or visit www.centurymotorsport.com/marangoni-tyres for more information.

Nathan

I take it these are good for fast road and light track as well seen as you have used them on your road cars. :?:
ashley

Post by ashley »

afennell wrote:Let me know what you do, have your garage said they will swop them over?

Not likely- I bought them on line and had a mate's garage stick them on the rims for me, so I'll probably order some better tyres and get them swapped over and sell the T1-R's :thumleft:

This is on the car I'm driving pretty much everyday at the moment so I've got a good few miles in them and it really ain't made any noticeable difference.

Not sure you'll have any luck getting them swapped unless there is actually something wrong with the tyres...unless we've both just had tyres from a bad batch (unlikely) I reckon they just dont suit the MR2 in stock sizes. My brother has T1-R's on his Celica and the tyre walls are just as soft, but it doesn't seem to upset the handling on the car at all...the MR2 does make unusual demands on it's rear wheels I guess :eye:

The Marangoni look good but I can't see them in stock sizes and haven't bothered contacting Century direct to enquire yet...might drop them an email now :-k
benGT

Post by benGT »

well i certainly wont be buying T1R's again for the rear of my MR2. Had a set on for a little over a month and they are still causing the car the 'roll' when cornering. It's a little better than what it was but I think that's just down to me getting used to it.

I am truly truly, disappointed. Really annoyed as they were recommended to me too!

BTW I'm running 245/45/R16 so the sidewall is fairly large but tbh, that is no excuse!
I just want a tyre that dosnt flex and instils confidence in the corners (plus a little bit of wet grip would be nice) - is this so much to ask?!
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Post by afennell »

cant see them swopping them over either.

I'm running on 17 inch rims on a 40 profile, and still having the problem. :evil:
ashley

Post by ashley »

afennell wrote:I'm running on 17 inch rims on a 40 profile, and still having the problem. :evil:

I'm surprised- they seem fine on my tubby- not too much roll that i've noticed at all- I'm running 255 40 R17's at the rear, but then I've not been throwing that into corners anywhere near as hard as the G Limited I guess :eye:
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Post by afennell »

my last set were great aswell, including the odd track day.

i have just noticed the tread can be moved side to side a bit by hand, i can do that on the front. They are t1r as well with plenty of tread. :-k
Martian_333

Post by Martian_333 »

I had T1-R's previously then got hold of some Advans with Falken 452's, much prefer the Falkens imo, they grpi v.hard and give you a false sense of awesome planted handling, much better than the Toyos
ashley

Post by ashley »

Martian_333 wrote: give you a false sense of awesome planted handling

Typo :?:
duvvaduvva

r888's

Post by duvvaduvva »

Will do (take car in the wet) thanks.

I think the r888's are ok in the wet though.
Check out Patric from Rogue.Pretty sure he's on r888's in this clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mid2hrgOdRo
benGT

Post by benGT »

Martian_333 wrote:I had T1-R's previously then got hold of some Advans with Falken 452's, much prefer the Falkens imo, they grpi v.hard and give you a false sense of awesome planted handling, much better than the Toyos

That probably contributes to the rolling feeling!

BTW, my 2 came from Japan with a brand new set of Yokohama Advan Neova'son all 4 corners - if you can ever get those, do! They were fantastic!

Bloody expensive though and hard to come by in the UK...
PsyKen
Premium Member

Post by PsyKen »

I find my rear tyres have far to much wall flex also. The problem lies with having tall profiles. I have 225/45/16 at the front and they are fine, very rare to experience problems with them. At the rear I have 245/45/16 and I suffer from flex badly. I think on next change I shall be changing the profiles to 40 or even 35 to harden the walls.

Has anyone found the optimum profile for a 245 wide toyoT1r?
Toyota MR2 MK2 Rev 3 Turbo SMG
Toms C7R, Carbotech pads, Berk DP & back box, Tein Flex, Mines ecu.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”