[Mk2] [Turbo] Clattering from rear

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tim355

[Mk2] [Turbo] Clattering from rear

Post by tim355 »

Hi all,

I picked up a Rev 3 sw20 turbo last week. When going over bumps/ small pot holes/ or poorly surfaced roads the rear drivers side clatters fairly loud. Just had a chap I know check out the spension struts, springs, engine mount and all other spension lower arm, arb joints etc and all doesnt really have any play in it. Also checked for wheel wobble - no problem. We noticed the car is fitted with rear tie bars that connect to the bottom arm's - is this a normal setup on a MR2 or an after market mod?This 'may' be the issue as a ickle bit of play...if not anyone else had a similar issue and know what it may be? ](*,)

Cheers.
Quigonjay

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Clattering from rear

Post by Quigonjay »

could be quite a few things but main suspect is usually the droplinks
other things are ball joint, rear arb bushes, top mount, spring not fitted correctly etc
the tie bar sounds normal
i find the best way to diagnose a fault like this (as you cant sometimes replicate the sound by pulling/pushing on the components) is to get somebody in the boot (not with it closed obviously :lol: ), get under the car and place your hand on each component while the person jumps up and down in the boot with varying force
hth
Jay
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

lol...thought you were gonna suggest driving around with someone in the boot for a second :thumleft: :thumleft: as said droplinks and ball joints sound favourite to me
tim355

Post by tim355 »

Thanks Jay I'll put the wife in the boot then :cyclops: Cheers for your help.
tim355

Post by tim355 »

bu88er! tried the jumping up and down in the boat...nothing. Changed droplinks yesterday + was doing discs and pads all round wheels fine, rear struts and springs fine and all torqued up...the show goes on. Got a balljoint and tie bars to check next :roll:
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

anti roll bar bushes then maybe....you need to have it up on a ramp and swing off em to see if there is any play in there..although I would expect to feel the lack of stiffness in the cars movement.
going4the1

Post by going4the1 »

Turbos sometimes have problems with the intermediate drive shaft bearing. The bearing support bracket has a rubber tipped bolt to hold this in place. The rubber degrades over time allowing the outer race to move in the housing.

see:

http://www.mr2turbo.info/pics/driveshaft.html

This might be the cause since you're able to be so precise as to where the noise is found. That said, I'd expect there to be a clatter over smooth roads as well.

Worth a look.
tim355

Post by tim355 »

cheers guys. Guna do a coolant change this Sat + have a replacement ARB and bushes so pop that on. Not sure how to fit the balljoint I have so expect I'll have to get a garage to do that if the clatter is still there.
Regards Turbo..could well be something in the engine bay for sure hard to tell when driving. I have a bumpy section at the end of my road so prob get a pal to walk along side the car with engine bay up and listen to where its coming from - engine or suspension.
tim355

Post by tim355 »

Tie bar solved this one! Car had aftermarket rear tie bars fitted, not as good as the OEM ones it seems. Thanks to Jay for the part.
Martian_333

Post by Martian_333 »

tim355 wrote:Thanks Jay I'll put the wife in the boot then :cyclops: Cheers for your help.

:lol:

I too had this it turned out to be drop links, now I get a different noise which I am hoping is my worn springs (I just got some Teins delivered today), otherwise its bushes/arbs next. ](*,)

Return to “Mechanical”