[Mk2] [Turbo] telling the difference between a rev1 and a rev2 turbo engine?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

saj8162

[Mk2] [Turbo] telling the difference between a rev1 and a rev2 turbo engine?

Post by saj8162 »

How can you tell just from looking at the engine if it is a Rev1 or a Rev2?

recently bought a mr2 turbo, on the log book showing manufactured 1990?

was told it was a rev 2, checked online and it shows
REV 1 - 1989 to 12/1991 ?

so would that make mine a rev1?

on the side of the engine the camblet cover says 3S-GTE ?

Im a bit confused, i need to buy some Ht leads, and need to find out if its a rev1 or rev2.. previous owner has gone away on holiday so cant get hold of him.

Also what would be the best leads to get and where from?

thanks
JJ

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] telling the difference between a rev1 and a rev2 turbo engine?

Post by JJ »

If its a 1990.. its a rev 1... larger leads !

Rev 1s have a different throttle body.... the cable directly connected to the throttle butterfly..so has a long trumpet section that attaches itself to it... where as the rev 2's go through a gear down process which makes the throttle body longer.. and the section shorter that attaches itself to the intercooler pipe.

Rev 2's also have stainless steel coolant pipes opposed to the earlier Rev 1's carbon steel ones... just as effective, just the stainless supports an increased lifespan of reliability.

Exhaust manifolds are different... 7 > 9 bolt..

Difficult to actually point out to you its a rev 1 other than looking at the throttle body and HT leads thickness....
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
saj8162

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] telling the difference between a rev1 and a rev2 turbo engine?

Post by saj8162 »

ill take a pic of the engine and post it,..just been to the local parts shop, had a word with the guy there, telling him about the leads,

The problem i have is, when i start it in the morning it strugles to start, i have to pump the excelerator a few times to get it started, once its started, its fine all day, turns over 1st time, was told if it was the leads, i would not just have problems in the mornings, would be more frequent or when im driving etc.

so that can't be the leads?

The vehcile has a cylinder head rebuild a few weeks ago:- listed parts.

Timing belt
head gasket set
oil filter
2x inlet valves
2x exhaust valves
set cylinder head bolts
engine oil
antifreeze
turbo blled vlave
pressure test cylinder ehad
re-face 12 x valves
re-cut 16 x valve seats
strip, clean, cyslinder head, refit cams, reset tappets

the chap who i bought it off told me at the time, it needs new leads, as the 1's used where from the celica as the mr2 leads he coudn't get in time?

im guessing now thats made up?...would it still run if it had the celica leads?

work was carried out by a company called PR0-TEC?

if it aint the leads, what else could it be ?
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

If its only doing it when its cold, maybe its the one of the temp sensors? Maybe its not running rich enough for cold starting. Dont rev1/2 have a cold start injector too?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

easiest way to tell...

does it have 1 or 2 pipes going to the charcoal canister off the top of the inlet manifold?

1 = rev1
2 = rev2+
saj8162

Post by saj8162 »

ill check it in the morning tomorow, thanks
saj8162

Post by saj8162 »

got some pics this morning

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

rev1, 100%
saj8162

Post by saj8162 »

cheers mate!..was told it was a rev2 by the previous owner, never mind, should have checked it out before hand,..thanks.. at least i know wht rev it is, wht do the standard rev1 turbo's push out bhp ?
Martian_333

Post by Martian_333 »

Seriously how do you know its a Rev 1 compared to a Rev 2? I thought they were the same?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Sure rev 1s are 220, same as the rev 2, don't let it put you off though, just as strong as the rev 3 engine, just the head gasket that will let you down, not the biggest job to do a rev 3 conversion either:) same engine block at the end of the day:) oh, different gearbox and drive shafts I think, i'm sure the rev 1 shafts and box are similar to the n/a, don't quote me though, oh, and i'm not sure if you'll have a limited slip diff.
saj8162

Post by saj8162 »

had the cylinder head rebuilt less than 500miles ago, with the above parts listed... don't have to worry about the head gasket, thats all been done!

looking at it, i wouldn't know the difference between a rev1 and the rev2

Return to “Mechanical”