hot hot hot

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

luke t

hot hot hot

Post by luke t »

my engine bay gets really hot. ive got a rev 3 tubby. how do i know if my fans are coming on , both on the radiator, and on the intercooler. ive recently fitted a pair of spals on the engine lid, they work if i disconnect the engine bay temp sensor, but how do i know this is working?
RyanRs

Re: hot hot hot

Post by RyanRs »

if you disconnect the engine bay temp sensor then the ic fan will be on all the time. just leave that sensor unplugged.
craig

Post by craig »

RyanRs wrote:if you disconnect the engine bay temp sensor then the ic fan will be on all the time. just leave that sensor unplugged.

Although this will compromise the life span of the IC fan.
craig

Post by craig »

luke t wrote:my engine bay gets really hot. ive got a rev 3 tubby. how do i know if my fans are coming on , both on the radiator, and on the intercooler. ive recently fitted a pair of spals on the engine lid, they work if i disconnect the engine bay temp sensor, but how do i know this is working?

After a long drive when engine is hot. Pull over, and you will hear the fans operating if the temp sensor is working.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

RedMR² wrote:
RyanRs wrote:if you disconnect the engine bay temp sensor then the ic fan will be on all the time. just leave that sensor unplugged.

Although this will compromise the life span of the IC fan.

yea from about 20 years to about 18 !

and if it dies, get a Spal! there only £30 or so for that size!
Martian_333

Post by Martian_333 »

Mine gets hot also, I was considering going for the rogue fan kit - can you hear your coolant bubbling/boiling under the rad cap and in the water hose leading up to it??

Is this normal?

If it isnt and its not head gasket, is it likely to be air in the coolant lines?

Cheers!
luke t

Post by luke t »

the fans are workin, checked today.
ive never heard any bubbling, that does sound like trapped air, holding the hot water in one place.
JP1

Post by JP1 »

Mine has bubbled like a coffee perculator for a min or two after turning off for years, nothing has died yet. As far as I know its pretty normal.
Dan88

Post by Dan88 »

mine does exactly the same after a hard drive, nothing wrong with it and is pretty normal i think!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”