Poly Bush question - Rear suspension arm

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

WeirdNeville

Poly Bush question - Rear suspension arm

Post by WeirdNeville »

I've just been thinking about the poly bushes I've fitted...

On the front toe arm, the two conical bushes have a steel tube that goes through the centre, I guess to protect the bush, and also so you can't over-crush them when you tighten up the 22mm Nut to torque.

In the Super flex suspension kit for the front toe arm it includes a new steel tube for this.

In the rear trailing arm, at the point where it goes through the lower arm, those two bushes as stock have a steel tube through the middle. However, the Superflex replacement poly bushes don't come with the steel center tube, leading me to suspect that they are designed to be fitted without it.

I guess my questions are two fold:

Can anyone confirm that when you fit the superflex bushes you do or do not use a steel centre tube on the rear arm?

Has anyone had problems after fitting these bushes one way or another?

I can still retro-fit them, but I'd like to know what is "correct". It's kind of diaspointing that the bush kits don't come with specific instructions, and their website doens't have any either. As far as I'm concerned suspension doesn't leave much room for guess work!
Jim-SR

Re: Poly Bush question - Rear suspension arm

Post by Jim-SR »

not sure whether the superflex bushes are supposed to run the steel collar, but i wouldnt want any bushes on there without it really, and i struggle to beleive theyve designed the bushes not to require the collar. you should be able to tell by the diameter of the hole, if it fits the strut arm loosely then id suggest youre missing a collar, if its snug then obviously they havent intended the use of one.
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

The bushes with the steel tube supplied need to be fitted to the rear arms, the ones without the steel tube go on the front & need to have your old tubes inserted, as you say to stop them being crushed, if you dont do this you risk throwing out your geometry on the front buy quite a bit, i never did understand wh superflex didnt include these tubes #-o ](*,) , cheers, Jinxy
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

Cheers tony! I've ordered the tubes new from Toymota to get this sorted this weekend. That's annoying that they don't supply them for one end when they do for the other.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

WeirdNeville wrote:Cheers tony! I've ordered the tubes new from Toymota to get this sorted this weekend. That's annoying that they don't supply them for one end when they do for the other.

I've got to get round to fitting my bush kit, who are Toymota in case I need to order any?
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

:lol: sorry mate, that's just Toyota - the parts department at any decent sized Toyota garage. If yours were anything like mine I'd say you need new ones - they're only a couple of quid each. Tony has also posted a list of bolts you need which I would advise you get, having learnt the hard way and sheared an old bolt. It's an extra £40 or so to get the whole lot, but with it for peace of mind and ease of fitting IMO.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

WeirdNeville wrote::lol: sorry mate, that's just Toyota - the parts department at any decent sized Toyota garage. If yours were anything like mine I'd say you need new ones - they're only a couple of quid each. Tony has also posted a list of bolts you need which I would advise you get, having learnt the hard way and sheared an old bolt. It's an extra £40 or so to get the whole lot, but with it for peace of mind and ease of fitting IMO.

Oh :oops: Thanks anyway for the advice which I will definitely take :D

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”