How to set coilovers higher???

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ninjagaiden

How to set coilovers higher???

Post by ninjagaiden »

Hi there!

Now that I've got my clutch kit on the way (actually the delivery guy came this morning but I was still sleeping :clap: ), I've just checked the suspension stuff on my MR2, and I just realized that I apparently have
Cusco Zero 2R coilovers on it... :shock:

The thing is, I've just ordered some 17'' alloy wheels to replace my original 15" toyota wheels. The car was lowered so much by the previous owner that I can't believe it's possible to put the 17" alloys with the car so much lowered...

So my question is, do somebody knows how to set the coilovers higher??? I mean, to "unlower" the car? (sorry for my crappy english vocabulary).

Anyway, I'm sure "unlower" exists in all uk dictionnaries :mrgreen:

Thanks 4 your help!!!
I don't know which part to unscrew or turn or whatever... I just know i've had a set of cusco tools with the car but don't know how to adjust the height of the car...
Last edited by ninjagaiden on Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan88

Re: How to set coilovers higher???

Post by Dan88 »

best way would be to part exchange your cusco coilovers with my standard black bilstein suspension setup, then your car will be "unlowered" :lol: :thumleft:
ninjagaiden

Post by ninjagaiden »

nice, Dan88! :mrgreen:

so i've just checked again + searched on the net, found this website:

http://www.jdm-option.com/eng/pr_CUSCO/suspension.html

So I'm following Sensei Yuya Sumiyama's instructions step by step, and i've just seen that I have the "non" fully threaded type of coilover (so basically I got the cheaper sh.t).

So, Mister "I've-got-my-black-belt-in-coilovers" (i.e Sensei Sumiyama) tells me:
On this type of coilover, vehicle's height is adjusted by moving the spring seats up and down. Loosen the lock nut, and screw the spring lower seats with the special wrench to the preferred height, and tighten the lock nut again. Now you are done.

Ok, Bruce Lee, I got it. So I need to turn the spring lower seat to lower or... "unlower" my car...

But what does he mean by "loosen the lock nut"??
I've taken a look under the hood, I can see how the coilover is attached to the car, there's big nut on top (it can be seen on the weblink's drawing).

Do I have to loosen that central nut, or remove it??
If I remove it, will the coilover stay attached or will I face a "oh-sh.t-what-have-I-done" kind of situation??

Thanks for your help,
Ben
hey no disrespect to the japanese people, I just like fooling around :wink:
ninjagaiden

Post by ninjagaiden »

ok, seems I've got to tighten the spring to raise the car, by turning the ring counter-clockwise...

Do you know how many turns it takes to raise the car 1 inch??
And still same question, do I have to loosen/remove the top nut?

thanks guys!
Dan88

Post by Dan88 »

you should have 2 rings with notches at the bottom of your spring. the bottom one will need undoing, simply by turning it with the key you have (probably anti clockwise like normal, but look at the thread).

As soon as this one is loose, you can turn the ring above it, in your case, pushing the spring upwards to heighten your car. When you think its as high as you want to go, turn the locking ring up the thread so it meets the other ring and tighten it. It should be butted up against the other ring to prevent it coming undone.

Remember to measure how much you have gone up by so you can do the same on the other side and heighten in evenly
Dan88

Post by Dan88 »

im not sure on this, but if you measure one 1 inch of thread and tighten it up by that, it should raise it by one inch.

But the other thing to do is just do a little bit, then put the wheel back on, put the car on the floor again and look
ninjagaiden

Post by ninjagaiden »

thanks for the info Dan :thumleft:

I'll try turning the top one, and then bottom one towards the newly positionned top one...

I was wondering whether I could turn both rings at the same time?
I mean, by turning the bottom one, both will move, right??

And about the locking nut, do I loosen it, remove it, or should I avoid touching that nut?

I'll do that as soon as I get my 17" alloys, so that I can see if I have to raise the coilover a lot or just a bit.

I guess one inch will do...
I don't know how the rear coilovers look like, but I guess it's the same system.. and if I raise one inch at the front, I should raise one inch at the back, right??

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”