[Mk2] [Turbo] CT26 on a rev 3?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

m3ech

[Mk2] [Turbo] CT26 on a rev 3?

Post by m3ech »

Hi all! I'm having turbo troubles ](*,)

I have a rev 3 tubby running what I believe to be the standard CT20 turbo that seems to be about ready to give up the goose :pale: I've been offered a good condition CT26 from a rev 2. Does anyone know of any advantages (if any) or disadvantaged of fitting this unit in place of my CT20, assuming it does fit!?

Any advise or thoughts would be gratefully received :thumleft:

Mike
raptor95GTS

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] CT26 on a rev 3?

Post by raptor95GTS »

it's a step backwards so not considered a good idea. Better off at minimum getting the rev3+ turbo. What makes you think yours is on it's way out
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

have to agree, wouldn't be a good idea, think the oil lines/connectors may be different too :-k
m3ech

Post by m3ech »

Ah, that sucks, but your comments make sense :(

Thinking the turbo is on its way out as cars starting to blow lots of smoke while boosting under load. The car has now covered a shade under 70,000 miles and I had previously been told that the life of a standard turbo is about the same. I could be wrong in my amateur diagnosis :-k any other suggestions of what could be causing my bad smoking habit?

Mike
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

What colour is the smoke, check the pipes running between the turbo and intercooler, a good indication would be that they are covered in oil :wink:
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Luderob is selling a Stage 3 ct26 which is apparently an upgrade from the ct20 but still bolt on. Might be worth PMing him.
m3ech

Post by m3ech »

Hummm, will check the pipe work later, cheers!

Would a stage 3 CT26 be an upgrade to a CT20? Or, bearing in mind I've been told that the CT26 would be a step back, would I be better off having my existing CT20 rebuilt to a higher than standard spec :-k Now I'm confused :roll:
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

I can get all the turbo parts if you want to have a go at rebuilding it yourself.

Bob
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

m3ech wrote:Hummm, will check the pipe work later, cheers!

Would a stage 3 CT26 be an upgrade to a CT20? Or, bearing in mind I've been told that the CT26 would be a step back, would I be better off having my existing CT20 rebuilt to a higher than standard spec :-k Now I'm confused :roll:

I think a stage 3 ct26 is capable of slightly more power than the ct20. but not loads. But if your turbo had died, it should be a simple bolt on upgrade.
MRGEN3TURBO

Post by MRGEN3TURBO »

coolant and oil lines are the same between ct20b and ct26. I have been running a hi flo variant of a ct26 on a gen 3 with great results but have now upgraded to a blitz k1.

Only difference in fitting b/w ct26 and ct20b is the 20 has an extra stud on the exhaust housing where the dumppipe fits on. But since its basically stud overkill anyway you can just ignore (not use) the additional stud.
MR2 sticks like glue

Return to “Mechanical”