[Mk2] [Generic] Metal bar/cross bean behind dash

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lard_Father

[Mk2] [Generic] Metal bar/cross bean behind dash

Post by Lard_Father »

Hi guys,

I have an issue with my heater matrix on my rev2 tubby, I have remove the dash in its entirety and still can’t get enough access to the heater matrix to remove it. There is a metal bar/cross beam in the way that the main part of the dash attaches to and that runs from one pillar to the opposite pillar.

My question is this; Can I remove this beam or is it structural and will damage my car if removed?

The problem with heater matrix is that when the face/head vent is selected it Jams and clicks and pops, if I push the mechanism with my hand it pops into place and I think the gears are sticking, jamming or the face/head vent is bent and causes them to jam. Either way I need to remove it so that I can replace/repair it and to do that I need to remove the bar/beam I think.

Cheers
LF
Lard_Father

It can be removed - temporarily

Post by Lard_Father »

Hi guys, in case anyone finds this and is curious. It can be removed but the car should not be moved while it is removed as it is structural and needs to be in place but its fine to loosen and remove it for repairs so long as it goes back in before the car is driven.

LF :)
Mr2_NA

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Metal bar/cross bean behind dash

Post by Mr2_NA »

and for future reference...

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5576

How to replace "the easy way"
Lard_Father

Post by Lard_Father »

I have a mark2 and the article is for a mark1, it may be the same/similair but without being able to see the images i can't tell. Is there a way to see them?
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

d00m, thought it was MK2!

From what I looked at when I took the dash apart there is no easy way to do it, other than how you were going about it.

:thumleft: Have you sorted it yet?
pacman160778

Post by pacman160778 »

I TOOK MINE OUT WITH THE AID OF AN ANGLE GRINDER LOL
Lard_Father

Post by Lard_Father »

I agree 'no easy way' don't fancy taking an angel grinder to my car if I can help it and as I'm not entirely sure which part is causing the failure i'd rather unbolt and unscrew bits but when the frustration sets in the angle grinder becomes tempting ](*,)

I have most of the dash out but can't seem to budge the matrix itself (see image - http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq49 ... ash056.jpg) anyone have any ideas :-k ? are there hidden bolts or something?

LF

Return to “Mechanical”