Spare Wheel Mounting...

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SteveM

Spare Wheel Mounting...

Post by SteveM »

Has anyone used any alternative methods of securing their spare wheel in the frunk? I've just fitted 15" wheels and have a matching spare I want to carry but because the wheel/tyre combo is slightly bigger than the stock the standard bolt/clamp is too short and is also slightly offset now so can't be used. I did think about just using a luggage strap or something to secure the whole thing but think it will look a bit naff and diy?
DNOS808

Securing spare wheel

Post by DNOS808 »

You may find that you can get longer bolts off other cars such as a Mk3 MR2 or a Celica perhaps. A good Toyota breakers is what you need. Regarding the centre hole alignment you may find that one of the wheel stud holes can be used
SteveM

Re: Spare Wheel Mounting...

Post by SteveM »

Yeh thanks for that, I'd been thinking along those lines too. The other option I've thought about is using a 15" space saver spare from a MK3 MR2 which will obviously be a lot thinner.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I've got a mk3 roadster alloy in my frunk and it fits perfectly with no alteration or change of bolt :?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:I've got a mk3 roadster alloy in my frunk and it fits perfectly with no alteration or change of bolt :?

Yeh but the problem is mine aren't MK3 wheels plus I also wanted the face of the wheel showing outwards in the frunk (rather than backwards) which is why the bolt is far too short! Anyway I've sorted it today by using some threaded bar and making my own longer bolt and a dome nut on the end for neatness.

Thanks to everyone for all the replies :)
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

oh sorry, read it wrong
MartG

Post by MartG »

One thing to watch out for is the height of the top of the tyre - I once put a 15" wheel with 205/50 tyres in my frunk and it pushed the centre of the bonnet up a bit
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

MartG wrote:One thing to watch out for is the height of the top of the tyre - I once put a 15" wheel with 205/50 tyres in my frunk and it pushed the centre of the bonnet up a bit

Thanks for the warning, I'll check for that! :shock:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”