Tesco's 5w40 fully synthetic, OK?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Razor04

Tesco's 5w40 fully synthetic, OK?

Post by Razor04 »

4Ltrs of 5w40 fully synthetic motor oil selling in Tesco's for £20 says it's ok for high performance and turbocharged engines. Anyone bought this? or know if it would be ok to use on the SW20 turbo? :?:

Tesco's own brand.
Odin_S

Re: Tesco's 5w40 fully synthetic, OK?

Post by Odin_S »

I wouldnt skimp on oil if i were you especially on a turbo, if you have to use it, a oil change much sooner would be needed imo :-k
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

Tesco own-brand oil?

I personally wouldn't touch it, unless we knew exactly where it came from.
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.
summ0004

Post by summ0004 »

I used to use the halfords fully synthetic oil and it was absolutely fine.

Most of the expensive oils are just rebadged with a brand name and sold at a more expensive rate, so in theory I would imagine the Tescos stuff is probably no different.
fearless

Post by fearless »

ive used cheap 5/40 in my n/a for 2 years without any problems, must agree with the badging of items aswell. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
she's all comming together nicely now after a fair bit of cash spent, not bad for just an n/a now for some body kit i think.
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Yes but remember oil gets a real hammering in the tubbys, what sort of price are you looking at for oil Razor? Might be worth going halfs with someone and buying in bulk dude, that person might even give you a hand to change it :wink:
oBladeo

Post by oBladeo »

tbh chap i know you turbo owners and the reason most people own a turbo is to give it some.

I use to use 10 - 50 oil which is racing grade. It does cost about 40 - 50 for 5l tho

but it's designed for race use and turbo temps with the nice weather we have been having
Henry Ford "Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black"

Modifying a 1 liter is like giving my granny a E. It’s just wrong!!
redmr89

Post by redmr89 »

oil, same as petrol. pretty much only comes from the same place. the middle east. so im guessing the only diff is the refinement.. and im sure the brands of oil (mobil, duckams etc,)probs have there own refineries. tesco's etc wont have , so they probs buy it in from someone..

i guess the question here is where they buy it in from?

there was a thread a while ago about petrol and someone who worked at tesco's said when the petrol truck rolls up to fill the garage with premium. it was the same truck as the shell optimax truck. hence implieing that tesco's premium is shell optimax. dont take my word on that do a search.

maybe the same is said for there oil. like i say tescos dont refine oil to my knowledge. so maybe they buy in bulk and sell it cheap.

or maybe they buy it cheap and sell it cheap. pays ur money takes ur choice...

search for posts by oilman. he seams to know his stuff.

i personally use toyota oil. its cheap and the manufacturer recomends it.
ive used several oils before and my turbo smoked like mad with it. i thought it was a fault with the turbo cos it only happend after i did my mods from standard ct26 standard ic etc, until i changed to toyota oil. it now doesnt blow smoke.

in case ur wondering im now running ct20 on a rev 1 @ 1.1 bar with uprated i/c , intake , downpipe, custom 3.5inch exhaust .
waddy9000

Post by waddy9000 »

Just on about the Tesco 99 stuff. Here is the website of the company who makes it. I was e-mailing them a few months ago cos they kept running out. Anyway these could be the folks who sort this oil out

www.greenergy.com

If this link doesnt work then am sorry but I dont know how to
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

I dont remember seeing any tesco oil rigs or refineries anywhere, it will be something rebadged.

I have ran oil from my motor factors which I pay 17.84 for including VAT for the entire 17k miles of my engine since I built it in 2006, it has always been making 350rwhp+ while ive been messing around and having various tunes done up to 390rwhp and revving it to 8krpm

I think expensive oil is over rated personally, but thats personal opinion, you couldnt convince me to run expensive oil.

Graeme
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

I do know that halfords own brand oil is made by Comma, could be the same for tesco :-k
DNOS808

Supermarket Oil

Post by DNOS808 »

I once met a guy who worked in marketing for a major name in the lubricating oil industry (I cant remember which one but it was one like mobil). His job was to deal with people like Halfords and Tescos and supply them with their own brand oils. I told him that I used Halfords semisynthetic oils and he said that his company supplied the oil and that it was a good quality oil. He also said that one of the highest spec oils that they sold was one of the supermarket own brands!! apparently the supermarket had produced a specification for the oil that was so stringent that the oil company had to take ther own premium brand and blend in more expensive additives to meet the spec!! The main problem for them supplying the supermarket was that in the food environment the oil bottles were not allowed to leak at all.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”