[Mk2] [Turbo] Possible causes of vibration/wobble from steering (Not Wheel balancing/spigots)

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

davidmit

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Possible causes of vibration/wobble from steering (Not Wheel balancing/spigots)

Post by davidmit »

I replaced the track rod ends with new ones when I had the rack reconditioned. So I'm fairly confident that that is not the problem any more.

The wheels have been balanced by toyota and taken off to make sure that there is no water in the tyres.

The tyres are all 4 months old, goodyear eagle F1s so its not the tyres either. Might be misshapen alloys, need to find someone to lend me some for a test though.
matt5cott

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Possible causes of vibration/wobble from steering (Not Wheel balancing/spigots)

Post by matt5cott »

davidmit wrote:

Toyota world, Bristol were very good actually. Annoyingly you get what you pay for, they took the tyre off to check for water inside, rebalanced wheels too.

Wont be buying the rack from them however, as its OVER £1050! Bought one for £25 on ebay and will get it reconditioned for £125.

Seems to be the price round the board from Mr T, this time last year Ron Brookes in Nottingham said that I had too much play in the rack and that whilst it made the MOT this time, it won't next year, and wrote down the prices...

£989 for the rack (without VAT)
£290 labour to fit it.

Got it done at Rogue yesterday all in for much less than the labour charge alone.
madfer

Post by madfer »

Having the same problem with my 2 :( 91 G-limited.

So far (apart from the obvious getting balancing and tracking done) I have replaced the Drop Links, Rack Outers and ends, Had the rack out and recon'd, and replaced all 4 ball joints and while it got better, my wobble is still there! Feels like the whole car is slightly shaking which transfers to the steering wheel :( 70mph and over it happens for me.

I did notice when replacing the rear ball joints, that one wheel was sticking when i was putting the wheel back on. so now i'm thinking a slightly warped disc and seizing calliper! I replaced the other side's calliper a year ago or so due to seizing.

The joys of motoring /sigh
TheRoadWarrior

Post by TheRoadWarrior »

Sticking calipers- warped discs are a common cause of steering wheel vibration.
davidmit

Post by davidmit »

Ok, update to my saga. I have just fitted a full poly bush kit to my car. Now whilst the handling is now really nice and tight the blasted vibration is still there.

I notice there is a company in Oxford (www.vibrationfree.co.uk) anyone tried them?

Any other ideas folks? As I'm all out
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Brakes are the only thing left bud! try swapping the L + R disks over and see if it makes any difference.

Also seems the front disks almost weld themselves onto the hub, this could cause problems.

If you dont want to fork out for new disks when they may not be the cause, then take the disks to a machine shop and they should be able to test them for trueness ,prob only cost £20.

other than that, check your rear suspension & brake assembly.

Btw, did the polybushes make a lot of difference? I have steering problem with mine, lifts and pulls to the right on acceleration & steering vibration, even after a hawkeye full re calibration and dynamic wheel balance. I also have tien, just the Flex version. I believe my problem to be 15yr old bushes and ball joints!!
davidmit

Post by davidmit »

front disks are new as well, vibration was there before I changed them over.

My bushes were all pretty good before I changed them for poly ones so I didnt feel any night and day change. However, I was very glad to have swapped them as everything feels more precise now and barring the rear arb bushes they are all pretty easy to change.

I'm going to get the geometry done again, then take it to the vibration analysis place. I must have spent upwards of £700 trying to get rid of this damn vibration so I'm not stopping until its sorted!
davidmit

Post by davidmit »

just had geo and wheels balanced yet again after fitting poly bushes, still bad wobble which doesnt stop on braking. What now guys? I thought i may take my front disks off and make sure no dirt is between the hub and disk. Could my hub be mishapen?
davidmit

Post by davidmit »

I've got a possible culprit!

On going in for the last geometry, the chap said that every time he set the camber that when he put it down and bounced it it would drop another 2 degrees and could not get it to stay. So I left it at what they had set.

Yesterday, coming home from work the wheel rim started rubbing on the suspension and when I looked the camber was huge and the camber adjustment bolts (two each side) seemed loose.

I wonder whether the bolts put in were wrong, would this cause vibration / wobble?? (Please say yes)

I've order one standard and one of the small crash bolts for each side from toyota and I'll see if that solves me issues.

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:
chrisbr68

Post by chrisbr68 »

Hi, I am in a similar situation - did you get anywhere with this! I am amazed at the lengths you have had to go to!

Return to “Mechanical”