How to donut?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

trd2000mr2

How to donut?

Post by trd2000mr2 »

Hi people, Just for fun the other day i was trying to donut in an empty car park but had a bit of trouble constantly keeping the ar$e out! It would swing out initially but then lose its swing after probably one rotation! Anyone know exactly how to donut?? taking into account its an N/A and lacks the power of the turbo!
Cheers
dai21t

Re: How to donut?

Post by dai21t »

Fit an LSD to it.
pizza boy

Post by pizza boy »

He has a 98 mr2 meaning it has LSD as standard.
The "pivot" action so easily attained when donutting FR cars such as Supras, S14s etc is more difficult to achieve in an mr2 as theres no weight in the front. You'll usually perform an understeery type circle (like I did on my first attempt lol). I learnt there wasnt enough power to break traction in 1rst (shows these cars are quite grippy eh!) so what I do is turn the steering full lock, full throttle in 1rst gear to high rpm and then shift to 2nd gear and immediently begin counter steering/controlling the donut action. The full throttle shift to second will be enough to spin the wheels and then your in controllable donut mode. Also being in 2nd means its just a case of balancing throttle mid rev range and not bouncing of redline in 1rst during the move.
Try it you big hooligan :lol:
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

1st gear, full lock, loadsa revs, drop the clutch. Hold on.
Taz007

Post by Taz007 »

sounds like uve had a lot of practice pizza boy!
JJ

Post by JJ »

Skywalker wrote:1st gear, full lock, loadsa revs, drop the clutch. Hold on.

To make it easier, loadsa revs, dump the clutch, wheels start spinning then full lock... that way both wheels are spining to begin with instead to starting on a full lock which often makes the car lean over then one of the rears breaks loose, then loads of spinning on that wheel.

Were the NA's ever fitted with LSDs ??

:)
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Stu Wilson

Post by Stu Wilson »

JJ
You done a donut before? :roll:
pizza boy

Post by pizza boy »

LSD altho standard since rev3+ on Turbo models was an option on NAs rev3 onwards. But in the last year of manufacture (like TRD2000s 1998 NA) they dropped em in NAs like most manufacturers they throw everything into the last batch to shift em.
Heh I havent had practice donutting only performed em it twice (mate had vid camera) it really feels im screwing the car and tyres so I avoid it personally! I prefer sideways as opposed to 360s :twisted:
trd2000mr2

Post by trd2000mr2 »

Yeh my car has an LSD as standard, Fanx for the techniques guys, Maybe if it rains tonight i might have a little more fun in the Car park... :twisted:
Patrick Gray

Post by Patrick Gray »

Does the standard lsd make it more difficult for the car to donut i.e it varies the amount of slip from one wheel to the other much more.I previously had a '94 g-limited which had a trd lsd and it constantly locked the back wheels anytime and in any conditions.
gtschris.com

Post by gtschris.com »

trd2000mr2 wrote:Hi people, Just for fun the other day i was trying to donut in an empty car park but had a bit of trouble constantly keeping the ar$e out! It would swing out initially but then lose its swing after probably one rotation! Anyone know exactly how to donut?? taking into account its an N/A and lacks the power of the turbo!
Cheers

To practic find some grass (school playing fields are ideal) you need less revs and dont kill your tyres.

I not being unkind to NA's but i dont think they got the poke not in the dry anyways....

fizz

Post by fizz »

pizza boy wrote:LSD altho standard since rev3+ on Turbo models was an option on NAs rev3 onwards. But in the last year of manufacture (like TRD2000s 1998 NA) they dropped em in NAs like most manufacturers they throw everything into the last batch to shift em.
Heh I havent had practice donutting only performed em it twice (mate had vid camera) it really feels im screwing the car and tyres so I avoid it personally! I prefer sideways as opposed to 360s :twisted:

Bro... you have spent your days in Bradford well.. :D
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Would have to agree that N/A lacks the power in the dry. Number of times I've tried to turn 180 in a cool fashion and I've landed up heading straight on!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Tend to find I get loads of understeer, which really p1sses me off!! Must be a crap driver!
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
JJ

Post by JJ »

Stu Wilson wrote:JJ
You done a donut before? :roll:

Who me ?? I am a donut !! :D and Yes... long history of them too !! MR2 is definitely one of the most costly donutting machine, it simply just trashes the tread on the rear !!! :lol:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

it simply just trashes the tread on the rear !!!

*excellent*
JappyBeast

Post by JappyBeast »

I would be to scared to try a donut, wouldnt want any nasty stone chips anyway!
gtschris.com

Post by gtschris.com »

JappyBeast wrote:I would be to scared to try a donut, wouldnt want any nasty stone chips anyway!

I can empathise with that, I had to do a bottom half respray in 1998 on my Astra GTE Cabby after some high speed antics in a gravel car park :) . As with so many things in life, seemed like a good idea at the time!
www.gtschris.com
tel: 01670 737080
mob: 07786070103

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”