interferance through subs!

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Alec00

interferance through subs!

Post by Alec00 »

Hi to everyone :D
this is my first post so please be patient
hope someone could shed some light on this annoying problem, it's slowly driving me crazy #-o

i've got a 92 uk Na t bar , I have fitted a pioneer cd head unit, running stock speakers. I also have a small aftermarket amp running the two stock subs behind the seats.
The problem is this the pump from the power steering is interfering with the two subs. it does this only when the engine is running and the steering is being used it does calm down alot but not totally, when the power steering pump shuts down.

things iv,e tried to solve this are: ](*,)

cheked for a good earth There is no resistance between a known good earth and the amp,
checked that all my wires run separatley from each other
even swapped the phono leads

I have the amp wired directly to the cars battery with a remote wire coming from the head unit.the earth is from a seat belt mounting .
the amp is mounted near to the rear engine cover release.

is it just a case of the amp needs moving somewhere else.
maybe even just need to get rid of this amp and subs and put some 10inch ones in . :-k

thanks for your time and patiance any info or advise greatly recieved
Alec00 :cheers:
W0mbat

Post by W0mbat »

id just move the amp m8. that's gotta be the easiest solution.
Alec00

Re: interferance through subs!

Post by Alec00 »

wizzer

Post by wizzer »

Hi there - i've just finished installing an amp and 4 new speakers in my MR2, all wired up to my sony head unit, and i've got EXACTLY the same problem - it's driving me mad! What have I done wrong?

I've sited the amp in the rear boot, +ve from the bit + connection the engine fuse box bay. The -ve i've fed to one of the large bolts into the body work near the ECU in the boot. The amp is a four channel one and i've got two stereo rca leads going from the head unit to the inputs of the amp. When i just plug in either the front or the rear inputs the noise isn't present, doesn't matter whether i use the front or rear ones, but as soon is a plug in all four of the connectors i get the massive squealing noise from the PAS system. It stops after about 20 seconds if i don't touch the steering wheel, starts again if i touch the wheel so it's obviously that. Question is what do i do??? :?

I've read on here that several others have had the same problem so i'm hoping that someone's managed to find a solution!
wizzer

Post by wizzer »

Further to this, i've been talking to a guy at work who says that i need to get a suppressor in the system somewhere, but he's not clear if it should be on the power lead that goes into the amplifier, or something that goes on the phono lines that go from the head unit to the amp.

Is this the right direction to go in? Anyone shed any more light?
wizzer

Post by wizzer »

Ok so no further responses to this thread, i've been and bought from maplin 1 supressor that goes on the power line from to the amplifier which i fitted and this made no difference at all to the problem. I then got 2x ground loop isolators from maplin which go on the red/white phono connectors that go into the amp. Needed two because there are two pairs of the phono connectors (front and rear). I plugged these in and started the car up and hey presto - the interference had gone away!

But...

I get in the car this morning and the interference is back! The isolators are still plugged in and everything is as is was when i first tested it and found it to be working! So i guess i'm back to square one! Does any of this ring any bells with anyone - any suggestions?
JohnA

Post by JohnA »

I think the interference is something to do with conflicts between the Toyota active system and the new one. What I did was to snip the power wires on the amp powering the active toyota sub,(passenger side rear) I wasnt using it anyway. The amps still there acting as a relay for the ariel, must get roung to removing it alltogether.
wizzer

Post by wizzer »

My car doesn't have an active toyota system in it, and none of the original wiring has been used so the interference is nothing to do with that!

I have succeeded in sorting it however - i noticed that the position of the ground loop isolators in the boot had a bearing on if the interference was there or not. I've now managed to fasten them in a position where the interference is gone! Woohoo!

Now off for a blast with the roof off and some sounds blasting out :)
Vindezal

Post by Vindezal »

Bad earth mate. =;
wizzer

Post by wizzer »

Bad earth where abouts? I've earthed the amp directly to the car body on a big bolt.
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Wizzer, when you say you've wired the +ve from the engine fuse box, have you used a spare live or piggy backed off something else? It could be that you're picking up some noise from the charging system.
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
wizzer

Post by wizzer »

I've attached directly to the big +VE connector in the fuse box, i guess it's the cable providing the live feed to the rest of the fusebox?
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

If you've got a long length of power cable, try and run the power to the amp directly from the battery (run it round the side of the car just to test), and see if the noise goes.
January 2014

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
brummypetepie

Post by brummypetepie »

Hi all

Thought Id add my comments here as I installed my system a couple of weeks ago and had the same problem.

Found a really simple solution, check the gain level on the amp, and if possible turn it down a bit. If its a constant buzzing your getting, then if you turn the amp down, the buzzing vol is turned down......when you turn the stereo up it will cover the buzzing noise.

Erm, hope that actually made sense, basically turn the amp gain down and the head unit up!

Pete
DannyW

Post by DannyW »

i have the same problem, its definately linked to the power steering pump. my amp is located under the front bonnet, and the power is connected directly to the battery.

ive just learned to live with the noise as i can't see a way of getting around it.
brummypetepie

Post by brummypetepie »

DannyW wrote:i have the same problem, its definately linked to the power steering pump. my amp is located under the front bonnet, and the power is connected directly to the battery.

ive just learned to live with the noise as i can't see a way of getting around it.

Hi mate

Think Ive got the same problem as you with the PAS pump creating the whine, and foudn turing the amp down helps but doesnt totally kill it.

Thing is though, I had the exact same setup on my NA last year before I upgraded to the tubby, and never had a problem with it.

i know its a long shot, but the only thing I can think is different is how the PAS on the tubby would be affected by the speed convertor on the dash, as these are known to send teh PAS a bit funny and contantly straining.

Does anyone else have any idea about this? Could the Speedo convertor have a knock on effect to teh PAS pump which causes the whine?

It only seems to affect tubbys or imports.....does anyone with a UK MR2 have the same problem?

Pete
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

I'm stumped. Bloddy electrics
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
DannyW

Post by DannyW »

brummypetepie wrote:
DannyW wrote:i have the same problem, its definately linked to the power steering pump. my amp is located under the front bonnet, and the power is connected directly to the battery.

Hi mate

Think Ive got the same problem as you with the PAS pump creating the whine, and foudn turing the amp down helps but doesnt totally kill it.

Thing is though, I had the exact same setup on my NA last year before I upgraded to the tubby, and never had a problem with it.

i know its a long shot, but the only thing I can think is different is how the PAS on the tubby would be affected by the speed convertor on the dash, as these are known to send teh PAS a bit funny and contantly straining.

Does anyone else have any idea about this? Could the Speedo convertor have a knock on effect to teh PAS pump which causes the whine?

It only seems to affect tubbys or imports.....does anyone with a UK MR2 have the same problem?

Pete

Mine is a Uk car.

Return to “ICE and Security”