Whining noise (not my passenger!)

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mosguido

Whining noise (not my passenger!)

Post by mosguido »

Hey,

I took my car out for a quick road test before its mot tmrw, has all been fine (aside from handbrake cables needing adjusting and sticking on..) but after about 5miles driving, a slight whine started to be heard on acceleration, very quiet to begin with.
After another mile or so driving, the noise is now very loud, sound like a high pitched whine, sounds like the engine revving but in a higher pitch. Goes away as soon as you put the clutch in, isnt there when in neutral, and isnt there when free-revving.
It seems like it could be something gearbox related.. like transmission whine but its pretty damn loud now. New clutch and release bearing fitted during the engine swap, and the gear changes etc are all fine, and the engine pulls strongly and sounds sweet, no issues there.

Any ideas what might be up? I suspect maybe something gearbox related..Haven't got time to look at it again before the MOT, hoping they'll tell me, but otherwise ill have to sort it out...

Cheers

Guy
WeirdNeville

Re: Whining noise (not my passenger!)

Post by WeirdNeville »

Is it engine speed dependant or road speed dependant?
mosguido

Post by mosguido »

engine speed it seems, but only when in gear. When you accelerate it makes the sound. It literally sounds like the engine itself, but just at a much higher pitch. But its obviously not the engine as you hear that at the same time.
Blue1984

Post by Blue1984 »

:shock:

I've driven my Mk1 this weekend, did 44 miles yesterday and this morning did about 8. Then this evening, I drove a Friend to Harlow so was M25 and M11 driving and when I dropped her off I thought there was a train horn sounding but it was actually my MK1. It was also making a whining noise, it's high pitched (but not so high that only animals would hear it, it's high but definately audible) and there permanently. The only thing I might've done oddly was less than a mile away I suddenly thought to check the coolant so I opened the bonnet, had a quick look as it was fine then carried on with the journey & it definately wasn't making the sound then. It's not overheating, smoking, affecting performance and gets louder with more revs.

I've just taken a video of it actually with a little bit of me revving the engine to around 3k, not sure how I'll go with uploading but if it helps I will get it done.
My girl is a MK1(b) Sunroof Model 1.6L

I'm a female MK1 driver.
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

sounds like an air leak, if its an oil problem it would have probably gone bang by now.
4agte on the way
System-G

Post by System-G »

Hard to say, but if it's only apparent when the car is in gear and the clutch out - Clutch release bearing?
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
mosguido

Post by mosguido »

hmm seems its a moot point! the prev owner of the car seems to have had it bodged bodywise to pass its last mot's, filler all through the car and the works.. went for mot today, apparently its pretty bad! whole underside of car had been waxoiled by prev owner so hard to tell.

its gonna cost looads to sort, so i think im just going to take all the good bits off the car (brakes, suspension, wheels, etc etc) and scrap the car and put these other bits onto another 2 with a better body...

bit of a bummer, guess its just annoying as i wasted so much time mincing around to fit the last engine and like after a year of it not even being drive more than like 40 miles..it'll be scrapped.

oh well. on the plus side, i can actually do the engine swap 4age in a couple of days now (done a few since) so its not so much hassle if i find a car with good body but shagged engine.

cheers for the advice anyway guys! if i get to put this current engine into another car, ill fit another gearbox and check all that over again before it goes in.

Guy
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I had an awful high pitched noise once, I found it was my rear calipers that were stuck on.
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

Aww - shame about the cars bodywork
its seems this is a common theme at the moment.
hope you can find a good shell :pray:
mosguido

Post by mosguido »

jo - got another mk1 now. bit ropey, but seems solid enough. All my bits gonna be transferred in next couple of weeks, and got to change the clutch on my new one. :D yaaay.

then ill strip my old one fully scrap the shell and have spare parts :D

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”