[Mk2] [Turbo] will my car be reliable

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

liamdavies

[Mk2] [Turbo] will my car be reliable

Post by liamdavies »

hi read so many scary things on here about engines going bang with early rev3s , cylender 3 inparticular. would just like to know a few peoples view on reliability with my current setup-:
stock internals
hks filter
de-cat and exaust
st205 charge cooler
hks bov
blitz dual sbc runing 1.15bar
apexi power fc getting mapped by ryan in three weeks

would like to forge internals eventualy,and have done engine work before so not a complete novis but dont know wheather i know enough about piston size to boost ratio's etc. or is it not all that complicated would probly just copy someones elses spec to be safe, wouldnt want to spend all that money and have to do it all again lol.
but for now wile i dont have money just want it to be reliable with what it is running now is anyone else running this stage on a rev3
djpkins

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] will my car be reliable

Post by djpkins »

sounds like you running a right $hitter there m8...lol...bangity bang...lol...obv only joking m8...dont do anything mad untill it's been mapped...your in safe hands on here man, lots of pukka advise from guys who've been doing it for years :D I know nothing really...just tripping out before I go to work :clown:
JJ

Post by JJ »

Liam,

If Ryans mapping your car, he should be able to improve the responce / power / torque of the engine especially if its got the ST205 chargecooler on it. His jiggery pockery will make it a lot quicker without having to crank the boost upto silly heights....Limitations are around 1.3 / 1.4 bar on these usually related to heat.

Ryan knows his stuff and knows all the limitations to these engines... :thumleft:

I think in my eyes, your weak points are your pistons and ceramic turbo.... to push it any more... then your getting into the relms of needing more fuel.. etc...
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
liamdavies

Post by liamdavies »

cheers jj for the reply, read in a search that i might be maxing out my injectors running 320hp on standard internals,but maybe they were on about 320hp thruogh wheels not fly.
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

i had similar specs apart from an EMS Intercooler and running 1.2 bar(only very ocassionally) on a stock ecu.

the car has been Meticulously maintained by myself in the two years ive owned it, with regular oil changes with only the finest oils. AllWAYS warmed up cooled down etc.

i now have a cracked piston ring-cylinder 3 but ive heard loads of people running these specs for years no problem. i guess i was just unlucky.... :pale:

From what ive heard Ryan really knows what hes doing so i wouldnt be concerned with his mapping skills.
Scott87

Post by Scott87 »

Sorry to steel the thread, but just finished dropping a turbo rev2 in my rev2 na.
Where could i go to have it given a really good once over, just a general look to check so that i know everything is sweet engine wise, and everything really.
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

langers_2004 wrote:Sorry to steel the thread, but just finished dropping a turbo rev2 in my rev2 na.
Where could i go to have it given a really good once over, just a general look to check so that i know everything is sweet engine wise, and everything really.

luke at pacific works does health checks and can give it the once over for you or rogue will be able to give it a thorough check aswell.
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Post by Chr15py »

I was running a similar spec too - I have now got a forged engine after cylinder 3 rings died lol. I was only running 1.1bar though mapped.

Dont listen to all the "1.2 - 1.3 bar is safe" melarky. End of the day you are leaning out your fuel/air mixture - something toyota made rich for a reason and adjusting timing to get more power. You want it guaranteed reliable - keep it standard!

As MattyMR2 was saying, some people run this setup for years with no problems - even more sometimes but is a double edged sword. Mine went pop after 2-3 weeks and it was checked properly before all work was done lol.

Chris
Mr Rapey Banana WILL get you...oh yes! :)
sutton

Post by sutton »

Mine popped on cylinder 3 too, unfortunatley i bought my first turbo not knowing too much that was running power fc, upped boost induction and standard inercooler/radiator :evil: So for my new one think im going to have a c/c, downpipe, exhaust and filter but not touch the boost until i have 3k in the bank for a rebuild!
Yellow Rev 3 Turbo
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

I know 2 forum members who's engines died after getting remapped.

Basically: lean out your air/fuel ratio on a standard engine at your own risk!

It won't be the mapper's fault and it's not just about mapping it to have low detonation - it's simply the extra duty the engine is put under.

I would have it mapped with a "safe", rich AFR. A bit like the stock ECU :wink: :lol:
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

Out of interest, how do you know when a cylinder has packed up? Always amazes me when an owner says, "Yea i'm running on 3 cylinders"

How do you know?! :lol:
greeny

Post by greeny »

Yet a few cars are running 4/500+rwhp on stock bottom ends stateside! :mrgreen:
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Odin_S wrote:Out of interest, how do you know when a cylinder has packed up? Always amazes me when an owner says, "Yea i'm running on 3 cylinders"

They sound a bit "chuggy" and rough on idle.
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Post by Chr15py »

mattcambs wrote:
Odin_S wrote:Out of interest, how do you know when a cylinder has packed up? Always amazes me when an owner says, "Yea i'm running on 3 cylinders"

and 9 times out of 10, spits oil all over your engine bay from your DV. Basically the sump gets pressurised, oil goes through the breathers at the top of the engine, through the turbo and fills intercooler etc up lol

Chris
steve

Post by steve »

no.3 went on my rev3 aswell 8-[

mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

steve wrote:no.3 went on my rev3 aswell 8-[

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b149/ ... gland1.jpg

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b149/ ... gland2.jpg

what boost were you running?

i was running 1.2 bar at the time......and i only ran it at 1.2 bar very occassionally..
steve

Post by steve »

1.2bar for a couple of months, although my old rev3 was fine at 1.2bar for years.
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

yeah it looks to me like its luck of the draw really.

im pretty sure my car had a very hard life before i got it..... ](*,)
sutton

Post by sutton »

Chr15py wrote:
mattcambs wrote:

and 9 times out of 10, spits oil all over your engine bay from your DV. Basically the sump gets pressurised, oil goes through the breathers at the top of the engine, through the turbo and fills intercooler etc up lol

Chris

Mine had a very special party trick when you let the gas off and the bov vent oil would spit out of the engine lid vents :lol:
Yellow Rev 3 Turbo
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Post by Chr15py »

sutton wrote:
Chr15py wrote:
mattcambs wrote:

Chris

hahahahahahahahahahahaaaa!!! Nah mine was just boring and spat it all over the engine bay :o(. Totally sounded like a Wankel though :oP
Chris

Mine had a very special party trick when you let the gas off and the bov vent oil would spit out of the engine lid vents :lol:

Return to “Modifications”