MOT centre in South Birmingham?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

midlife crisis

MOT centre in South Birmingham?

Post by midlife crisis »

Hi, this is my first MOT with the new mk1, and want to find a centre that will appreciate that the car is 22 years old and not test it as a 3year old. With my old car, the MOT place phoned me up to advise it had failed, and the best advice they gave was to scrap it. I took it somewhere else, and it only needed bit of work to get through.

Is there somewhere in south Birmingham that anyone has used and had a 'realistic' test carried out? Don't want to get ripped off by some garage wanting the car to be mint before they'll pass it!

I do have a free test with Kwik-Fit (I know :roll: ) with my insurance - any one used them for an MOT?

Thanks loads,

Dave
Shmed

Re: MOT centre in South Birmingham?

Post by Shmed »

In my personal experience, I have found that anything 'free' from Kwik-Fit always lands up costing hundreds!

I got mine tested at Brooklyn Ford in Kings Norton, had a few issues with emissions but the tester ran some fuel cleaner through it and managed to get it just within a pass. I know someone at the garage though, so the tester may've been a bit lenient. He was fine with the fog lights not being on separate switches and a red buld in the reverse light for a rear fog.

Don't mention any of this to them though, as I don't want to lose my privileges :wink:
dopiaza

Post by dopiaza »

Hi,

I had a free kwik fit MOT yesterday on my Bora - I was all ready for a load of made up problems but quite the opposite. They found one failure point which was a broken coil spring (definitely not made up!) and three advisories which were wheel bearing play, brake judder and number plates just passable. All three of these items could have been failed if they were in a bad mood so you've got nothing to lose by taking it there.

All boils down to the individual tester and their mood - some guys hate old cars and will try to fail them, some love them and will use a bit of common sense.

Graham
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

No matter where you take it stay and watch it getting done , By law they must have an MOT viewing area, so watch them do it and if they find something get them to show you.
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
Shadeh

Post by Shadeh »

Hi mate i know a place u can take it, its innperry barr my 2 passed there no probs but is a mk2 it is £45 let me know
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Hi, where abouts in the south B/ham area are you? If you're anywhere near warwickshire then I can rtecommend someone in kenilworth? Steve :)
midlife crisis

Post by midlife crisis »

Hi,

Cheers for the replies. I'm near Solihull. Looking through mixed replies I think I might go with the 'wait in the viewing gallery' option and chance the free MOT. At least it's £45 towards any repairs :oldtongue:

If it fails, I may be back...!!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”