[Mk2] [Turbo] Effects on exhaust note / tone from different air filters / intake piping?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Razor04

[Mk2] [Turbo] Effects on exhaust note / tone from different air filters / intake piping?

Post by Razor04 »

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this:

I've recently changed induction kits on my rev3 turbo and i've noticed a difference in the tone of the exhaust, its a Blitz nur spec exhaust.

i was running a Blitz SUS power induction kit which had a large curved intake pipe, i've now switched to an apexi power intake and the change in the exhaust tone is noticeable it sounds a bit more "raspy" now.

any views / experiences on this?
Sol

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Effects on exhaust note / tone from different air filters / intake piping?

Post by Sol »

yep it makes a differnce I just put on a decatpipe and it sounds the nuts now .......but my neighbours dont agree lol
marcnoonan

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Effects on exhaust note / tone from different air filters / intake piping?

Post by marcnoonan »

Hi Razor,

Can fully agree here.

I've got a straight through quad system on mine which is too bloody loud, but was also a bit raspy. I added a 3" (yes too big for the N/A, but it's on there) 45degree polished intake pipe (ebay) which puts the airfilter right by the vent. It's also had the great advantage of making the exhaust note deeper and more burbley. Still too loud, but love it.

Marc
Everyone looks at me when I drive down the road now....... wish I could read minds.
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Its possibly harmonic resonance from both the induction noise and exhaust.

Turn on your hoover and hum from low to high as you reach the same sound frequency as the hoovers motor it willl sound alot Louder this is harmonic resonance. 2 sound frequencies complimenting each other and amplifying the sound produced.

Marc your larger pipe may have a lower note of induction noise due to the bore that then is resonantly harmonic balanced at certain revs to your exhaust giving the effect of a louder exhaust note at that frequency.

Where as in Razors case he has possibly removed a resonant harmonic which now means he can hear the rasp

Got to love it

Get a pic up of that 3'' induction pipe :thumleft:
redmr89

Post by redmr89 »

im not convinced at all that the intake will make a diff to the exhaust tone. the intake has to go through the engine . it doesnt matter how much air you ram in there , the engine will only make more noise if its restriceted from the start.

altho im contradicting myself there. maybe if you have removed a restriction then maybe it will breath better and rev better hence making a diff noise
FiltranZer

Post by FiltranZer »

hi Razor and Tiny where did you get your name here in this forum .,Did you get it in the game called DOTA.,?

Post by Razor04 »

WTF :?: please elaborate................
Dan23

Post by Dan23 »

i hate the sound mine makes, its a pipe cross induction filter and all i can hear is it bloody sucking, blip the throttle and it sounds like my car is having a asthma attack :lol:
fearless

Post by fearless »

i love the sound of my apexi its great i know what saying does sound funny when you blip it. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
she's all comming together nicely now after a fair bit of cash spent, not bad for just an n/a now for some body kit i think.
MrLuke

Post by MrLuke »

redmr89 wrote:im not convinced at all that the intake will make a diff to the exhaust tone. the intake has to go through the engine . it doesnt matter how much air you ram in there , the engine will only make more noise if its restriceted from the start.

I dont notice any difference in sound between a car with an induction kit and one on ITBs :whistle:

All of the air that goes through the exhaust has to come through the intake yes okay in the middle it gets warmer but its still basically a big pipe :thumleft:
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

MrLuke wrote:
redmr89 wrote:im not convinced at all that the intake will make a diff to the exhaust tone. the intake has to go through the engine . it doesnt matter how much air you ram in there , the engine will only make more noise if its restriceted from the start.

I dont notice any difference in sound between a car with an induction kit and one on ITBs :whistle:

All of the air that goes through the exhaust has to come through the intake yes okay in the middle it gets warmer but its still basically a big pipe :thumleft:

I think he means, the intake cant change the exhaust sound, however the different pipes/filters(and ITBs like you said) can change the sound that you get from the induction.
redmr89

Post by redmr89 »

#-o

i know what i meant.

Return to “Modifications”