problems with car not starting

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Bry

problems with car not starting

Post by Bry »

The car is a uk, spec with a s/c conversion which was carried out about 10 years ago. The car was running fine for about 7 years before it was put away for storage for a few years except as it was being reversed into the garage for its hibernation it cut out. The owner just pushed it the rest of the way into the garage and left it there for a few years. A few months ago we thought we'd bring it out of hibernation, what ever caused it to cut out now seems to be stopping it from starting properly now as 9 times out of 10 it refuses to start (no fuel or spark) then on the 10th attempt (not literally but you know what I mean :lol: ) it fires up and idles perfectly \:D/ but after about 5 to 10 mins just as it's warming it up the revs rise to 1200rpm and down again a couple of times and it cuts out and refuses to start (no spark or fuel )
My guess is the ECU is not getting a signal from a sensor in the engine somewhere and is cutting the spark and fuel ? Does anyone else have any suggestions as we really are stumped ](*,)
FYI we tried a different ECU,Coil and ignitor, and had the distributor tested which was fine,can't see any dodgy earths anywhere, also no error codes are being thrown up, so we really need any suggestions that you guys/girls may have :pray:
First pesrson to solve it gets some pickled onion Monster munch and some UM BONGO :lol:
Watch out OZ here I come !!
Bry

Re: problems with car not starting

Post by Bry »

apparently my info is not totally accurate, as now the car starts every time but still cuts out after aout 10 mins then throws up error codes 12 and 13 :?
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

According to my BGB codes 12 and 13 on a 4AGZE are:

12 - RPM Signal - No "Ne" or "G" signal to ECU within 2 seconds after engine has been cranked (Trouble areas - Distributor circuit, Distributor, Starter signal circuit, ECU)

13 - RPM Signal - No "Ne" signal to ECU when engine speed is above 1000 rpm (Trouble areas - Distributor circuit, Distributor, ECU)

Based on that lot I'd guess that the ECU isn't getting an "Ne" signal at all so you're looking at either a duff Dizzy, ECU or wiring between the two.
Bry

Post by Bry »

kaiowas wrote:According to my BGB codes 12 and 13 on a 4AGZE are:

12 - RPM Signal - No "Ne" or "G" signal to ECU within 2 seconds after engine has been cranked (Trouble areas - Distributor circuit, Distributor, Starter signal circuit, ECU)

13 - RPM Signal - No "Ne" signal to ECU when engine speed is above 1000 rpm (Trouble areas - Distributor circuit, Distributor, ECU)

Based on that lot I'd guess that the ECU isn't getting an "Ne" signal at all so you're looking at either a duff Dizzy, ECU or wiring between the two.

Yes those are the same ecu code explanations we found ,It does look as though it could be the Dizzy, I guess I'll order one for him from TCB unless anyone knows where else I cold get a s/c dizzy from ?
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

hold on a bit. MrT will charge you an arm and two legs for a distributor. check all the connectors from the distributor back especially the large connector on the loom at the base of the boot. give the dizzy a good clean out with some contact cleaner spray and try again.

just had a quick search and it looks as if a new distributor will be in the region of £300 !!!!
Bry

Post by Bry »

crazylegs wrote:hold on a bit. MrT will charge you an arm and two legs for a distributor. check all the connectors from the distributor back especially the large connector on the loom at the base of the boot. give the dizzy a good clean out with some contact cleaner spray and try again.

just had a quick search and it looks as if a new distributor will be in the region of £300 !!!!

checked all the connections and have removed the entire unit and had it tested and still the same prob :( was going to buy a 2nd hand one from TCB not new :lol:
omracing

Post by omracing »

Bry didn't think you had a MR2 anymore after selling the Mk2 or is this a friends car ?
Red MR2 Mk1a - Rose SOLD
Blue MR2 SC conversion 180 bhp - Lightning
Bry

Post by Bry »

omracing wrote:Bry didn't think you had a MR2 anymore after selling the Mk2 or is this a friends car ?

No this is a very old friend of mines mr2, I have a mountain bike now :lol:
Bry

Post by Bry »

All fixed, it was the dizzy. Fitted a 2nd hand one and she runs sweet now 8)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”