[Mk2] [Turbo] Ignition tuning advice :)

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Loser

[Mk2] [Turbo] Ignition tuning advice :)

Post by Loser »

Hi there everybody!

I'm doing a bit of a crazy swap, and it might not work but hey thats cars - a programmable honda ECU into my Rev2 turbo.

I'm not looking for big power - just map it like standard - upto around 15 psi, but i'll probably only run it at 12, i don't need massive power, everyone's fast down the straights :mrgreen:

The reason i'm doing it - being a former honda owner i miss the instant response, and repeatability of my old management - this mr2 does a different thing every time i touch the throttle! The honda ecu adds launch control, a shift light and tivis control (via the vtec solnoid out - with a tvis map and a non tvis map.. did toyota do that? :mrgreen: ) AND real time programming with autotune 8)

The other reason - I'm sick of this management system! I've spent 400 quid or something trying to make it work, but i still get problems all the time (Dizzy cap, rotar, plugs, leads, coil, ignitor, AFM, knock sensor :evil: ) so i'm giving up on toyota.. Screw you guys i'm going home :mrgreen:

But anyway, the question - i'm scared of tuning a boosted engine - i'm not that scared of det whilst off boost (should be strong enough for a little?) and i do intend on dyno time for mapping this, but i darent try to get close to the limit on boost. IE - i'll advance until det then retard a few degrees with vacuum, but i intend on just redarding the ignition timing as i get boost. Would a degree of retard per lb of boost be too conservative, or am i going about this in totally the wrong way?

The only reason i ask is my local tuning garage is a bit cowboy (yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaw) and he generally tunes stuff by bending AFMs (i know i know) but supposing he has det cans and the ability to use them i can do the rest (fueling is a piece of pish - mapped my old crx's fueling on ITB's in 20 mins on the road :mrgreen: ) and as long as that way of tuning ignition is reasonably good i'm good to go. (and cheap)

To be honest i'd rather be safe from det (no knock sensor on the honda stuff - but it has been used time and again for 800hp+ turbo civics) than have that little extra 5-10 bhp from being on the limit of my timing. And i can't wait to beat 24 mpg as my best tank!

Input and whatnot :D
RobCrezz

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Ignition tuning advice :)

Post by RobCrezz »

Why dont you get a wideband, and somthing to measure det and just get some time on a rolling road and go for it! :D
Loser

Post by Loser »

wideband was a given, wasn't going to tune it by smell :eye: what would i need to measure det? And i didn't think machines could hear det like a person? Does anyone know of a way to set up the knock sensor to tell me what's going on, rather than the ecu? :)
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Loser wrote:wideband was a given, wasn't going to tune it by smell :eye: what would i need to measure det? And i didn't think machines could hear det like a person? Does anyone know of a way to set up the knock sensor to tell me what's going on, rather than the ecu? :)

Power FC has some sort of knock measureing thing, but you could just use some det cans to listen for it?
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

Jesus, what a waste of time going down the Honda ECU route. Can't see it working.
Just go and buy a PFC or link and be done with it.

Must say you first post is odd! You mention all the ecu ideas which just seems wrong to me, far too complicated for little gain, then you say your scared of tuning a turbo car.
Apexi Induction, Gutted Cat, Departure Exhaust, Magnecor Leads, St205 cc, Blitz ebc.
Carbotech pads.
Loser

Post by Loser »

TBH the most difficult part i have left is making the dizzy fit, just need to make a new shaft for it and an adapter plate, but being an engineer thats nothing big, i've made the loom to stick it in, and i'm using mostly toyota sensors. Only had a couple of hours on the project and to be honest it'll only take a couple or few more to get it done. The honda management is far more clever than the toyota stuff, and since PFC or link (i guess) copy the toyota system which IMO is pants for all sorts of reasons. Didn't answer my question though.

And i only said i was scared of tuning a tubby whilst on boost because i've never done it before - tuning the off boost stuff doesn't bother me too much but i really could do without lunching my engine!

And i dont see anything complicated.. Wiring the vtec solenoid output for TVIS is just sticking it in the TVIS hole in the toyota's ECU plug, launch control is literally 3 mouse clicks and the shift light only needs me to type in when i want it to illuminate.. Only complicated stuff is adding 9-10 wires for stuff the toyota wont understand (i could butcher my toyota loom but i dont have the balls :mrgreen: )
Loser

Post by Loser »

And the whole setup will cost ~200 quid compared to 500 for a link :lol:
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

Interesting stuff.
Get some pictures up and keep us all posted.
If it works and you can prove results you will have people coming your way for work!
Apexi Induction, Gutted Cat, Departure Exhaust, Magnecor Leads, St205 cc, Blitz ebc.
Carbotech pads.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

do a search for a guy called scarecrow on the mr2oc.com - he's running a Honda ECU on the rev2 turbo
Loser

Post by Loser »

Not really much to take photo's of, just piles of wires, a dizzy that you wont recognise and an ecu with some black boxes hanging out of it :mrgreen:

This swap has been done before - but to honda OBD1 (think 1993+) but i happen to have OBD0 gear so that's what i'll be using. I've just signed upto MR2OC but i'm waiting in the moderation queue.. whatever that is :)

Return to “Modifications”