[Mk2] [Generic] flush mount fuel cap,any problems

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nuttasie

[Mk2] [Generic] flush mount fuel cap,any problems

Post by nuttasie »

Has anyone on here fitted a flush mount cap,mocal etc. If so did you need to fit a fuel vent or is the tank vented thru a pipe somewhere.

I can't find any info which tells me if the std cap is vented or there a external pipe on the tank,but I know that the cap I'm getting is not vented hence need to know how the std venting system works as i want to order all my bits at once.

cheers
Jimbob

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] flush mount fuel cap,any problems

Post by Jimbob »

Pretty sure stock cap is not vented, there is a vent on the tank to charcoal cannister.
nuttasie

Post by nuttasie »

cheers jimbob,annoying thing is i spent 3 days making my trd cap and getting it to fit but the hinge was just to flimsy and the cap would have eventually chipped the paint.

What hinge did you use and where did you source it? Got mine from B&Q has the original trd is basically a cupboard hinge lol,but it had to much play in it once fitted #-o ](*,) .
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Mine came with my kit and yeah its just a cupboard hinge, the 'genuine' folks may give you some yarn about it not being a cupboard hinge, well you could have fooled me :whistle:

The way I got mine nice and snug is to use some 3M adhesive backed foam strip. Its about 15mm wide by 5mm deep in black. If you stick that round the inside of the hole where the flap resides (so to speak) and make it so when the flap is shut it just snugs up against it.

That way with mine when you press it shut it snugs up and holds it secure and also when you pop the fuel flap it pops open by a few mm, enough to get your finger under to tease it open.

My car is away at the moment but I will update my projects page with a few bits over the coming weeks.
nuttasie

Post by nuttasie »

yeh, I know the real ones don't like to admit its a cupboard hinge lol. the folks at trd would have just gone out to source whatever they could use as at the end of the day it is just a bodykit and they ain't going to devolpment tooling just for a hinge especially if they can use aftermarket lol.

cheers for the tip regarding the foam tape,but think i am going to relocate into the boot to keep the car lines clean,as to be honest never been keen on the shape and size of the trd cap anyway,very big and bulky looking item.
Have not checked you build for a long time,will have a nozy.Does it still look the same?
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Changed a few minor things like Carbon mirrors and a few other little bits, the main change is the Motec going on this week.

Return to “Modifications”