HA HA! Upgraded to mk3!

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

HighwayStar

Re: HA HA! Upgraded to mk3!

Post by HighwayStar »

Yeah, when I win the lottery :shock:
Think Miche is on the yokos but I'd need to check..
Captain Vimes

Re: Nice

Post by Captain Vimes »

excalibur1814 wrote:#-o :clap: :roll: :oops: :oops: ](*,) \:D/ :whistle:

Wow! I've never read so much about tyres in my life

I did this recently too. The trouble you'll have is that there are few tyres that are available in the standard sizes AND are designed for performance (not just for a family saloon).

In the end I went for the RE040's and they are night and day over the non-brand tyres on there before - definately reccomended! Good grip - takes out the wallow, has more grip in the wet than the yoko's too!

They only cost me £10 more than the Toyo T1-r's too.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Where did you get the RE040s? They seem to be arounf £70 fronts and £100 for rears
Captain Vimes

Post by Captain Vimes »

mattcambs wrote:Where did you get the RE040s? They seem to be arounf £70 fronts and £100 for rears

When I was looking there were 3 places that would supply them:-

-mytyres
-ebay shops
-elite direct
http://www.elitedirect.co.uk/02-tyres/t ... arch+Tyres

I also got my local KwikFit to agree to supply them and fit for £75 rear but they couldn't get hold of them for a month
Ekona

Re: Nice

Post by Ekona »

Captain Vimes wrote:In the end I went for the RE040's and they are night and day over the non-brand tyres on there before - definately reccomended! Good grip - takes out the wallow, has more grip in the wet than the yoko's too!

Interesting, I found the RE040s to be perfectly fine in the dry but downright dangerous in the wet (on the MR2 anyway: On the 350Z the were much better, which leads me to believe that they're a pretty decent tyre but they need a lot of weight on them to give the grip). I ran T1-Rs on mine and they were the better of the 040s in terms of grip and price. The only slight let down was feel, as the sidewalls are relatively soft on the Toyos.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

interesting comments about the RE040s. Did you experiment with pressures?

I'm put off by the Toyos because, although lots of people like them, far too many people slate them which is not something you can say about the Bridgestones.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

I did, but found that the stock pressures for them seemed to be as good as I could get them.

I know what you mean about the Toyos, but I think it's very dependant on the car they're on. I had them on the MR2 and loved them, and then put a set on the VXR220 and hated every second of them (and took great delight in ruining a brand new pair at Bedford in one day!) as they simply weren't up to the performance levels of the car. I think they're about as good as you can reasonably get on a stock to slightly modded mk3 (Neovas excluded), but when you start running big power they loose their effectiveness very quickly.

If I had an MR2 today then I'd certainly run the Neovas, but as a second option the Toyos would be my rubber of choice.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Elite are an IMOC affiliate dont forget, discount for IMOC premium members I believe. :thumleft:
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Thanks for the info :thumleft:

What are thoughts about running 195/50 R15s and 225/45 R16s?
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Not sure I'd play with the balance too much on a mk3... surely it's just going to make it understeer more? Think if it were me I'd leave well enough alone Matt and stick with standard sizes.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Must admit I'd leave the sizes alone too, at least in respect of keeping the staggered width front to back the same.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Obviously I would keep the stagger if going for non standard sizes. It's got to be 040s in standard sizes hasn't it. :lol:
excalibur1814

Guys

Post by excalibur1814 »

Hey guys, just seen a smahing set of 16" alloys that I'd love to buy BUT (as always) the offset is +40mm... I've gothe Toyota lowering springs to go on so the question is: Will they fit snug as a bug or will things start to be beaten?

Thanks..
(Looking on other forums hasn't helped much with this question)

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”