HA HA! Upgraded to mk3!

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

excalibur1814

Nice

Post by excalibur1814 »

40mpg... blimey! I seemed to throw fuel into the Mk2 turbo.

I'm collecting the lowering springs from Toyota tomorrow but am aware that I need to stiffen the body slighly..

http://www.tte.de/popup/TTE/cm_mr2_stabilizerkit.htm

I might enquire the price when I'm there... or.. what would you recommend and where should I get them from? I would like good products but at a good price. Not into throwing money at it like I did with the Mk2 with minimal returns (if any!). TRD are far too expensive for strips of metal. (Fensport)

$79
http://store.monkeywrenchracing.com/pro ... cts_id=981

I'm looking as I type and here's a rear bar
http://tinyurl.com/o4t784

http://www.modacar.com/products/Toyota/MR2/MODASTB/
Looks like America gets the stuff cheaper than rip off UK.
:D
Ekona

Re: HA HA! Upgraded to mk3!

Post by Ekona »

Che's stuff is usually top notch, so no worries there. I think there's a few owners running the Whiteline ARBs, never touched them myself but no harm in doing it if you're there, but you will need a new set of droplinks from TwosRUs as I can guarantee yours won't come off without cutting them.

Don't bother with a rear strut bar, they make absolutely no difference that you could ever feel and are 99.9% cosmetic. Not sure if Corky is still making the Web3.0 stuff over on Spyderchat, worth a look there as his stuff is quality (breastplate/mid-ship brace especially).
excalibur1814

Nice

Post by excalibur1814 »

...So these droplinks explode when someone tries to take them off to fit the suspension

http://www.twosrus.co.uk/shop/index.php ... k-kit.html

Great. So, if I order tomorrow, you're sure that the originals will explode?

:clap: Cars, love them #-o
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Wrong TwosRUs ;)

The one you want is here. Out of all the mk3s I've ever worked on, or seen worked on, or heard of being worked on, no-one has ever managed to salvage the original droplinks. You may get lucky and be the first, but for the cost of them I'd order some new ones and be sure.

Seeing as how I'm spending your money here, you might as well chuck a set of the brass shifter bushings in as well, takes all the slop out of the gear change. ;)
excalibur1814

Nice

Post by excalibur1814 »

So, just to be sure, I need to order front and rear 'Sway Bar End Links' from the link above. Rear and Front options

(At the bottom, it states.. 'If you need front end links for an MR2 Spyder, please order HERE')

That statement is a bit confusing. Or I'm stuwpid.

Cart:
Product(s) Qty. Total
Sway Bar End Links
- Application Front
- Color Raw SS
- Model MR2 Spyder
$99.00

Sway Bar End Links
- Application Rear
- Color Raw SS
- Model MR2 Spyder
£99.00

If only i had the cash for a full bush replacement. Did that on my Mk1 with new springs and suspension. Amazing
Ekona

Re: Nice

Post by Ekona »

excalibur1814 wrote:(At the bottom, it states.. 'If you need front end links for an MR2 Spyder, please order HERE')

You need to go through that link to order the front ones, $65 instead of $99. The other page is set up to enable ordering for all years, but the mk3 ones are slightly different so are that bit cheaper.
excalibur1814

Nice

Post by excalibur1814 »

They do look nice compared to the originals or ebayer types.

1 x MR2 Spyder Front Sway Bar End Links
- Bushing Color: Red
- Beefy Bar Upgrade: No thanks! $65.00
1 x Solid Brass Shift Cable Bushings $26.00

Ordered. Will order the rears when the above arrives.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

The MK2 was the odd one out in the MR2 life cycle. Mk1 & 3 were small, light, low powered and nimble. The mk2 is big, heavy, higher powered, little more practical and a bit prettier. I would imagine that just the size & weight difference of a mk2 had the undesired effect of making it feel a little numb compared to the mk1 & 3. Lets face it, if a car weighs half as much similar strength brakes are going to feel twice as good. If it has half as much weight flicking to the side in a fast bend it's going to get bent out of shape half as much.

I think it really is like comparing chalk and cheese as they serve such different purposes. While I would prefer to be in a mk1 or 3 on a nice twisty country road, on the open road, I wouldn't even consider either of them, tubby all the way.

Matt, yours looks in very nice condition, you got any more pics? I used to think the interiors looked a bit sparce in the mk3 but it's growing on me more and more. Excaliburs colour is growing on me every time I see it in off topic also :thumleft:
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

matt_mr2t wrote:The MK2 was the odd one out in the MR2 life cycle. Mk1 & 3 were small, light, low powered and nimble. The mk2 is big, heavy, higher powered, little more practical and a bit prettier. I would imagine that just the size & weight difference of a mk2 had the undesired effect of making it feel a little numb compared to the mk1 & 3. Lets face it, if a car weighs half as much similar strength brakes are going to feel twice as good. If it has half as much weight flicking to the side in a fast bend it's going to get bent out of shape half as much.

I think it really is like comparing chalk and cheese as they serve such different purposes. While I would prefer to be in a mk1 or 3 on a nice twisty country road, on the open road, I wouldn't even consider either of them, tubby all the way.

Matt, yours looks in very nice condition, you got any more pics? I used to think the interiors looked a bit sparce in the mk3 but it's growing on me more and more. Excaliburs colour is growing on me every time I see it in off topic also :thumleft:

Cheers, Matt. I haven't had a chance to give the car a thorough clean yet, but once I have I'll put some more pics on.

You're right about the interior - it's a grower. Basic, but suits the cars personality, i.e. simple, light sports car.

I don't think the problem with mk2s is the weight. Boxsters weigh even more, yet they have a far better chassis. Overall, mk2s are great cars as they are built to a very high standard, are comfortable, very practical for a mid-engine car and look fantastic. They're also very capable, I just found them scary to drive fast - no feedback!. I also think they need serious chassis mods to feel responsive.
excalibur1814

Nice

Post by excalibur1814 »

Just been out in mine and it's lethal in the wet. Time to replace the rear tyres.
mattcambs

Re: Nice

Post by mattcambs »

excalibur1814 wrote:Just been out in mine and it's lethal in the wet. Time to replace the rear tyres.

What tyres are on yours? Something's not quite right if you think yours is lethal unless the tread is really low :-k

Had mine for a week nearly and today was my first time in the wet. I was very impressed because unlike my old mk2s, there was still plenty of feel from the road. I now feel like my fate is completely in my own hands.

I have Bridgestone RE040s on the rear and they seem to be very good. The fronts are Mohawks!!! I had never heard of this brand before, but they are absolutely dreadful, wallowy and with poor grip. I'll be getting some RE040s for the front soon.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

If you haven't got same make tyres all round and in the correct sizes, do it NOW. Do not pass Go, do not collect £200 etc. I've seen too many mk3s sat in ditches over the years to not make a big point in saying that.

The mk3 has a fantastic chassis, but it is very vulnerable to different tyres. I used to be able to feel when I was down by 1-2psi and which corner it was on :shock:

Seriously guys, get your tyres sorted yesterday, sooner if possible.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

ekona wrote:If you haven't got same make tyres all round and in the correct sizes, do it NOW. Do not pass Go, do not collect £200 etc. I've seen too many mk3s sat in ditches over the years to not make a big point in saying that.

The mk3 has a fantastic chassis, but it is very vulnerable to different tyres. I used to be able to feel when I was down by 1-2psi and which corner it was on :shock:

Seriously guys, get your tyres sorted yesterday, sooner if possible.

Sizes are correct :thumleft: 185/55 R15 and 215/45 R16. Although not ideal, I don't think having cheap front tyres is a great safety issue. The Mohawks will be going soon though along with a geometry check :lol: My rear RE040s are seriously hooked up. Expensive, but good tyre.

Noticing a 1psi difference is a talent :D Well done :wink:
excalibur1814

Tyres

Post by excalibur1814 »

Ummm, not good! I have fantastic tyres on the Turbo that grip and perform as they should. Here's what i have on the Mk3 (I usually replace two tyres, not one at a time)

Rear
Yokohama A539 205/50 r15 86v
Front
Yokohama A539 185/55 r15 82v
Hankook 185/55 r15 86v (Just read a review and Hankook are POO)

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Br ... m-Test.htm

I'll buy some tyres this weekend as I refuse to drive a rwd car with sub-par tyres. Far too dangerous. I know it's not for the Mk3, but here's a chart of Mk2 Turbo tyres
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyres_For/ ... -Turbo.htm
Falken FK451 ?

So, 185/55 R15 and 215/45 R16 is correct... then mine are wrong :o
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

2003 onward mk3s have 16in rear wheels. I think yours are correct for a pre-facelift car with 15in rears :thumleft:

I think the Yokohamas were factory fitted on pre-facelift mk3 :-k
excalibur1814

Nice

Post by excalibur1814 »

I might be being stuwpid here, but i grabbed a tape measure this morning and my wheels are all 16"..... Ummm? Alloy corner to corner

Am I being silly? :whistle:
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Hmmm :lol:

Well, I seriously doubt tyres that are R15 would fit on a 16in rim. Also, the rim diameter measurement needs to be taken from the flat bit of the wheel that you can't see with the tyre on.

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg2.html

I think you have 15in wheels, which will measure about 16in of you go right to the edge of the outside lip.

HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Grabbed a tape measure... isn't it easier to read the tyre size? 15s front and 16s for the rear on Miches '05 car. It's the stagger I'd like on my rev1 if I ever change wheels.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Hey Rob :D

Still dreaming of the 16in rear wheels, eh? :wink:

Out of interest, what tyres does Miche have on hers?
excalibur1814

Nice

Post by excalibur1814 »

#-o :clap: :roll: :oops: :oops: ](*,) \:D/ :whistle:

Wow! I've never read so much about tyres in my life

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”